R.i.p. fan channels

Hi!
@deadliftdiva_548, l had already, still no response
@jwindsong, l also every body involved should know and have the chance to do something about it. I also requested the BOC titles, let’s see if we get them.
The deadline is so short and there’s a whole lot of work to be saved. Viki has grown specially because fan channels, hope they really help with this.

spreading

greetings.
E

2 Likes

in short “it’s a mess”, I’d expect viki to to better job! This (the fans’ work) is totally unappreciated!! :scream: :sob:

2 Likes

How many times have I addressed this (unappreciated situation) in my writings here in Discussion? One thing is not having the time to take care of all our concerns and issues as a volunteers here. Another thing is, to totally disregard the good heart of the many volunteers have for this site to do so much w/o pay or any added Profit since most volunteers don’t even have the time to watch other dramas bc they devote so much of their little FREE time to seg,sub edit etc,(dramas, movies, shows etc…). They don’t even have time to spare and leisure watching dramas at this site (unless they are working on them).

I believe that once the site changed company the need for volunteers has become obsolete. What I mean is, they will have their own people to do their work w/o hassles. They realized they don’t really need all that viki site offers (many different languages in drama) to make a profit since basic English and MAYBE Spanish are the majority of paying viewers. Besides, the region/legal/government rules issue makes it impossible to have many paying viewers from many other countries.

An apologetic note would not have cost them anything and looking for ways to save all this hard work from volunteers would have been the most humane and decent thing to do as a form of appreciation.

One thing I learned in life those who profit in any kind business is those who are respectful, caring and generous towards others. Not the cheating, greedy and uncaring who thinks only about themselves to gain profits without remorse bc if they had any before deleting the FAN channels they would have found alternatives w/o affecting and hurting the volunteers that FOR YEARS has stayed faithfully here.

3 Likes

Such an unfortunate situation all around. :frowning:

3 Likes

I do hope many CMs were able to save their work. Although, you would think Viki could just keep the subs in case a license comes through.

4 Likes

Just want to keep this topic up there for the CMs and their teams.

4 Likes

All this wonderful work could have been preserved and now it will all end in oblivion.

Was that the only solution they could think of, to delete them?

What doesn’t make sense here at all, not giving the CM/team members enough time to save their hard work (subtitles in all language).

Like you said, if they ever got the License those subs were going to be very useful, not just gone…:frowning:

I have done so many Spanish subtitles in some of those Fan channel and that hurts so much… (sigh) so many hours gone…down the drain. Is no laughing matter.

2 Likes

Once I worked for the Third Programme of the Greek radio. It was before the digital age, everything was on tapes. I was shocked to discovered that they recycled. The tape we were recording on could be a play, maybe an ancient tragedy, recorded by the most famous National Theatre actors, long dead, a recital of some wonderful musician, or an interview of a maestro…
It took some very dedicated people to volunteer hours and hours in the library, to listen to and label all the tapes, and insist on salvaging concerts, plays etc which shouldn’t be deleted. But by the time this was done, lots of precious material was irretrievably lost.
But even now. There is a limit on how much data you can put and save on hard disks, and if people don’t place value on something, they may think it’s not so useful and the space used for something else. (Maybe because they got it for free?)
Such a shame…

3 Likes

The number of channels is decreasing day by day. Yesterday 4263, today 4259…

1 Like

So sad. :frowning:

I just realized most Indian movies and series are fan channels. There will be very little left!

https://www.viki.com/explore?country=india

2 Likes

@irmar only 36 out of 321 are licenced there

1 Like

Just as I thought…

Yes it really is sad and the impact is widespread. :frowning: :frowning: On top of that, not much hope for those who didn’t get the chance to save the subtitles.

1 Like

That is really sad :frowning: So many fan channels for dramas from all countries are affected

Thanks all for keeping the thread up. Let’s all keep it up near the top so volunteers can be informed about what’s happening to fan channels.

I added a list (not complete) of some Indian fan channels as well. The lists keep growing, it’s sad to see how many fan channels are impacted.

3 Likes

moving it up again,

as things get deleted, perhaps we need a list of what’s already gone. :frowning:

fans and volunteers are scrambling. “summer” is not a true end date…

1 Like

Thanks for bumping the thread up.

Yes at least we can keep a list of channels that will eventually be gone. :frowning:

I am wondering about something. For now, it’s only about deleting videos from fan channels but will they delete the channels after a while? Some fan channels exist since a very long time and have never been licensed. I wonder about the usefulness of fan channels now that you can’t add videos from a third party source. What will happen if you can’t get a license after some years?

2 Likes

As far as I have understood the channels will be deteled alltogether. Thats why we should hurry up and download the srt files and if possible from all languages. I really wish I had more time to do it myself but unfortunately I don’t.

1 Like