R.i.p. fan channels

With all due respect, I will disagree to a point here.

there are dramas I actually wish were longer. Anybody who watched Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms probably still wants more… (grin). That was 58 eps and yeah, I could watch more of that!

Some stories end up a bit compressed even if they’re quite long, e.g. Empress of China, 74 episodes in it’s English translation, but gets rushed at the end! One arguably might want a bit more of Wu Zetian/Meniang’s reign when she does become the sole rule…!

Perhaps you are not a fan of the honorifics, but I enjoy them, along with the other complications of archaic manners and all the things that go along with the costume/historical/xianxia/wuxia.

As for long subs, sure. Believe me, when I was editing Condor, I was thinking of “the German team to come, they will probably need MORE ROOM HERE”. Also Spanish, particularly when addressing Emperors of 2 Empires and a Great Khan… :slight_smile:

I’ve not seen the modern dramas you are discussing and cannot comment as to the value of added episodes - but I have seen two dramas based on the same work, Queen Inhyeon’s Man vs Love Weaves through a Millennium. Both were of comparable length, but the Chinese one did appear to need the slightly added number of episodes due to a different historical plot arc that did need room. The same number were devoted (2) to the 1 on 1 quality time of the OTP - the biggest fail though was the wrong actress in the main part of the Chinese one - all other parts were well done. :slight_smile: Otherwise - the same drama may be done in similar length, depending on details really. :slight_smile:

I’ve seen all three movies based on the same plot - Seven Samurai :)… …Seven Swords… :slight_smile: …and The Magnificent Seven (ORIGINAL, not the @#$ remake!). Not a short plot, not a short movie, no matter who makes it. :wink:

Anyway - interesting comment, but it really does depend on what we’re watching. Twenty more eps - like the wedding we don’t get in Ten Miles? C’mon, I’d watch that. Oh very yes. :slight_smile:

Crouching Dieter, Hidden Donut

3 Likes

I know you are a true fan of the historical ones and I love some of them too. I was watching Xuan Yuan Sword (I know this is not a historical) and went straight to the end episode 31 to make sure I saw the ending which left me halfway upset bc the ending was left like a to be continued thing since the girl was suppose to come back but she doesn’t…ugh!

I read wonders about Ten miles of peach blossom and hopefully I’ll get to see it. Candle in the Tomb i also rushed through it and was so confused with the ending i am going back to the part I left before and will see the end again. The reason why I feel they should be shorter is bc most viewers don’t like the long episodes and sadly I’m one of them. That is why I hate/detest Spanish telenovelas they are way too long too (I do watch some of them the one’s I subbed).

What bothers me is for instance in ‘‘She was Pretty’’ (chinese version) there is a scene the 2nd lead girl is walking through a corridor so I’m assuming something is going to happen and she looks like she’s going on slow motion and what? after this long walk she leans to look out the balcony a few more wasted minute of her looking at whatever and I asked myself was that scene really necessary? All that waiting to see her lean to look into the horizon from the balcony?

Those kind of scenes is what bothers me too long nothing happens in them and we can’t skip them but wait until is over before next scene comes in view.

I always look through your list and check them out and I was watching a few but now the screen is black so no luck for ever watching those unless they work something out.

I am so heartbroken for you bc you have worked so hard in this fan channel dramas and did such a great job and if the dramas are been watched I don’t see the need to remove them.

I hope they can keep up some of them at least and hopefully the ones I like (greedy/selfish me) lol.

The drama had a “Happy End” as one day someone with motivation came along and aksed if she could do it … Sometimes it’s great with the community at viki!

1 Like

@deadliftdiva_548
Problems with licencing like jumong was the same for Yi San.
When I took the channel manager position they told me the licence will be on till March 2016 and it will be re-negotiated. I had almost ten months to see what we will do with it. Thankfully my team was superb and fast and we managed to finish segmenting, transcribing, TE and english editing in six months or so (and both the spanish team and greek team followed soon after with the translation on our respective languages) .
Moreover in the meantime Tess and myself tried everything we could to advertise the series and ask people to request the licence for their country. (I asked one viki staff and she told me we can do it even if there is a licence allready).
Finally March came and thank God the licence were renewed.
However we don’t know for how many years. So I am currently downloading the videos and the greek subtitles and I believe most of the other team members are doing the same. That way our work won’t be lost and our friends and family can always enjoy this wonderful series. So in case you haven’t done it yet you should visit as well.
For Jumong I saw lacruiser message and I can’t say I disagree completely with him however in my opinion he could start the project and do what tess and me has done for Yi San. If he did that now we would have Jumong ready for other languages translation.

@sophie2you
That’s right in the past I also asked for non-hardsubbed videos or the srt files for the ones without hardsubs that viki got from soompi. They promised they will do what they could but they haven’t done anything at all.
So we started working with segmenting, transcribing and so on as you already know.
By the way sophie dear can you visit new heart(since you know it by heart) every Sunday(once a week at least) and TE a little bit? I know you are super busy but at least ten minutes once a week can’t be too much to ask, right?

4 Likes

Those hardsubs are horribly misspelled (gonna, wanna etc…) they are distracting. I don’t watch dramas with hardsub in them bc I get into such a horrible mood to see the character letters in the background then comes along the bad english hardsubs and then the same sentence in a black box and still the misspelled words in them (you would think the purpose was to fix the bad hardsubs).

I find Chinese dramas long, really long … Not always good, or let’s say not always to my liking.

Another problem that I rather mostly was watching Taiwan dramas, they are often more modern, compared to the mainland. Of course if you are fan of wuxia genre, then you might get really happy. I watch about 2-3 series with fantasy influences and that is it,

I prefer the saying “In der Kürze liegt die Würze”, to directly translate … Mhm, “Short and spicy”, that means it’s short but won’t leave you hanging. I am liking Japanese dramas because of that. I sometimes think German translations here also tend to make really long sentences, whenever I find myself doing it, I check, if the viewer can even understand that long “sausage” or if can cut it down somehow.

I just started at Nirvana in Fire, goodness the honorifics had changed in one episodes 4 times for 2 characters, I need to wait for editor 1 to give me some guidance. There sometimes is a lot to be desired with German subs, but I rarely edit anywhere, so … And it comes to zero percent, when I watch a drama, I rather go for English subtitles, even I have to use a dictionairy, but rather that, then having itchy fingers throughout the whole drama.

P.S. You can find the channel Sanctuary through the search function, but it has some region restriction.

1 Like

I’m so glad! Sanctuary is a really good chinese war time drama. The ending is heartbreaking and I sobbed for days but is not like I wasn’t expected it since it was based on a true story.

I love taiwanese dramas too like: Mrs. Rose, Office girl, Spring (maybe no longer here), Devil beside you, sensational! and the other one of the many I loved was Autumn Concerto (I’m not too good with titles).wait Love forward is one of my fave too and I love you Ilove you love you weird title (something like that) I always hated that title so much bc it didn’t make sense to me at all.

That is something I truly hate those titles in the dramas that make no sense at all and is not even related to the story. Really annoying worst yet, the dramas that has 3 different titles in them. Why? Grrrrrrrr. lol

@angelight313_168
Well, even you recommand it, it’s restricted, I can’t watch …

Me too, I liked Miss Rose, Office Girl, Queen Not Getting of Work (that’s I title that will follow me forever, took me long enough to memorize), Drunken to Love You, Black & White, Mars, My Lucky Star, My Queen, drumrolls longest title competition - Real Love Please Press The Bell Twice, Rent a Girlfriend Back Home for Christmas (Mainland) - Someone Like You, Sunny Happiness, Yours Fatefully …
I couldn’t get through Spring, actually.

1 Like

I had thought you wanted them transcribed exactly? The hard subs for the most part aren’t wrong. They’re just not as thorough and…sometimes summarizes the situation (describes) rather than tells you what is being said.

I had some problems getting into earlier eps in order so I could go systematically through each one. Is it okay if I asked you for moderator privileges? (all languages moderator preferred (for split combines) but if that is not preferred then I will respect that).

YI SAN ROCKS. :slight_smile:

I wish I’d been part of that project, I REALLY love that one too. :slight_smile:

If you - or LA Cruiser - does Jumong, talk to me. :slight_smile:

And yours (you know where) has just 2 eps left. I shall complete it. :slight_smile: (looks into the distance…) Yes, the TE is back there, somewhere, bless them :).

The Scarlet Pimpernel

1 Like

@sophie2you If I haven’t explained enough about what I would like for this drama I am sorry. Episodes 1 to 6 are fixed and released I believe you won’t have a complain about them. Segmentation is fixed, they were TEd and english edited by a very good editor. At the moment we need TE for ep 7.4-7.6 (ep 8 and 9 are TEd and english edited. we didn’t release them since ep 7 wasn’t finished), ep 10.2- 17.4. About that you have asked I already made you an all languages mod. So you are ready to help us. Kisses and hugs

1 Like

Thank you! I’m checking some of the ones you mention here that I haven’t seen yet and I hope they are not restricted either. Those titles make me die laughing. I think they are translated wrong bc some of them are so ridiculous hahahahaha I couldn’t get through spring, actually is the whole title? OMG…:joy:

awesome. I will block out time every week for it.

Today I spent it doing nothing but watching “Across the Ocean to See You.” I really like it a lot.

Thank you in advance and for concistency reasons please use the updated version of the main characters list I have in the team notes

For Candle in the tomb, the end is not confusing but… I don’t want to set a spoiler :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mahoula has written in the Team Notes how she wants the English to be: the wanna and gonna which have to get lost, the formatting and so on.

In New Heart, for instance, they have the names in the English order with the surname first (ex. Jong Suk Kim instead of Kim Jong Seok), which is against viki practice, so that also has to be corrected.

In New Heart/ Beethoven you don’t have to worry, though.
First of all, I already pre-edit the transcription before the T.E. come in, so all these details that I know bore you so much have already been taken care of. :slight_smile:
Therefore you, as a Translation Editor (+completing where needed) who is not transcribing or English editing - you only have to make sure that the hardsubber hasn’t messed up the meaning of the dialogue, that there’s no subs missing and that the segments for long sentences are divided more or less where they should.

Ko-En subbers and Translation Editors are so few and precious that it would be a crime to use up their time for those other things that all the rest of us can easily take care of. It’s far more efficient to let them concentrate on those things that only they can do.:heart:

Eagerly waiting for you to put the magic touch so that we can go on with those beautiful series.

2 Likes

I hope this is not a spoiler my confusion is I thought some of them died but then they are alive. Since I skip episodes I don’t know how that happened so i know I have to go back.

I can’t wait for your edit @lutra, the “sausage long” sentences are difficult at times and very time consuming, no wonder it’s perhaps discouraging to some subbers to continue. I wonder just where is the middle ground of not changing a person’s subs while taking out the blemishes, including the reedited English subs which make the earlier translations looking bad :scream::cry:

1 Like

You should go back :wink: And you will find some answers…

1 Like

Ok, thank you. I was just going to do that a while ago and I got a PM and I need to find an info someone else needs and I know someone wrote about that in here. It has to do with segments so I have to look where it is around here. I’ll do search and see if I get lucky. This discussion section works wonder for me.