R.i.p. fan channels

Yeah rather than making channels disappear quietly, let fans have a chance to watch them while they still have time…

It’s left up to the CM to notify all the fans of the affected channels. That’s the only way fans find out.

4 Likes

Viki should add a warning message to their homepage. I’m sure there is still a lot of people who don’t know about it. The fan channels deserve at least that. It all began with them.

6 Likes

Whenever a license ends or a channel gets deleted, I would prefer to have a countdown, not only on the channel page but on when you do to “explore” as well. It only needs to be a mark, if there is a regional difference, so you could check out with clicking on that mark, when the license will stop. At least you had a chance to watch it properly. Maybe post it 2 months or 4 weeks prior.

8 Likes

I agree, teams should also know when a license or channel is going to end so that they don’t feel blindsided when it does end.

5 Likes

bumping this up again.

All dramas are a lot of labor for us to segment, sub and edit, but even more so the difficult yet rewarding historical style dramas, with their T/N, their archaic language, honorifics, and yes, some actual history involved. The more complex, the more time all groups spend, including the Other Languages to complete it, and it would be greatly appreciated if every year at least, viki overlords would give ALL CM an update as to the status of the dramas they have. Maybe every year, around January 1, give people “where your dramas are” - by PM? also if it is known whether the license can - or will be renewed, if up for renewal.

1 Like

Bumping this up in case there are still folks who don’t know that this is happening very soon. It said summer and we are about 4 weeks from the official start of summer, so it’s coming, sadly.

1 Like

Another bump:
Folks, scroll up up to read about the channels going to RIP :cold_sweat: :scream
You may watch them marathon if they still there before the ax… :runner:
save subtitles if you are a language mod :checkered_flag:

I really find it unfair. Most of the fan channels are made for dramas that are not currently airing and could be probably obtained with less money than the shows that are “fresh” but not popular among Vikians. The other blow is the fact thet Viki is now doubling the channels they obtained the license for instead of actually giving the rights to them to the persons who created those channels first. I do understand we partially are responsible for this as Vikians wanted to stop channel hoarding by some of us ( yes, I am included, but I am biased towards the Chinese Republican Era projects and have rarely seen anyone else willing to spend hours and days on deciphering those dramas for their individual pleasure) but the current procedure is totally unfair to the teams that put their flesh and blood into every sub they offer.

5 Likes

How is it unfair to the teams? It only concerns the CMs. Personally, I think it’s a good idea. The new system will allow everybody to apply for the CM position whereas the old system “first come, first served” wasn’t really fair.
Furthermore, I don’t think there will be that much of applicants (specially for Chinese dramas, as you said) and I don’t think that Viki will forget which CM has already prove him/herself. I’m not worried for experimented CMs. I’m sure you will always be the first choice. You will only be restricted on the number of channels that you can manage. This will give the chance to others to do it as well.

Anyway, we will have to wait and see if the new system will work or not.

I think it is unfair. Firstly, because the experienced and very active contributors were not asked how to deal with the problem and secondly I see no reason to re-apply for the channel I have created months ago while waiting for my favourite actors or my favourite genre to finally hit the screens only because everyone should now have the chance to apply for a licensed show.

I have not been asked if I want to be the CM of the channel Viki has created anew despite the fact that I have created a fan channel for the same drama some time before. and no, they are not always taking into consideration the fact that you for example work in wuxia dramas and have a clean record of successfully finished dramas when the new one appears.

I do understand the need to add the some fresh air to the community but this is definately not the way to do it. i think a fairer system would be to make a rule that the second in command (Co-CM) should always be someone new, who - after completing the show could then share the experience and manage the channel on their own.

it is like with being a segmenter - it look pretty easy on the tutorial, but only an in-depth training and inderstanding of the rules makes one a proficient segmenter that makes the segments a pleasure to work in when doing subs.

2 Likes

I replied to your post before seeing what Viki has done. Let’s wait. Maybe they’re just playing with the tools like someone said.

This is a contradiction in terms: [quote=“mas4, post:131, topic:15406”]
I don’t think there will be that much of applicants (specially for Chinese dramas, as you said) and I don’t think that Viki will forget which CM has already prove him/herself. I’m not worried for experimented CMs. I’m sure you will always be the first choice. You will only be restricted on the number of channels that you can manage. This will give the chance to others to do it as well.
[/quote]

There will not be that much applicants, but Serenite78 may be restricted on the numbers of channels. If there are not much Vikians, who are willing to take over those dramas, probably less dramas will be subbed and we have to wait much more longer to see those dramas.

2 Likes

By that I meant that there won’t be a lot of competition for Chinese dramas. Not that there will be no one at all willing to be a CM. I heard that a lot from people who manage or moderate several channels. They always say: “If I don’t take charge, no one else will”. I disagree with that. There are so much people willing to be a CM or a moderator but they never got the chance because things are going too fast on Viki.
I will say it again. The new system concerns only the CMs. Nothing prevents a subber or a segmenter to work on several channels. Subbers and segmenters won’t be restricted unless they don’t want to work with a new CM.

1 Like

So, no word on when this is happening? Just curious.

Does anyone know about why there’s no fan channel of “My Annoying Brother”(Jo Jung Suk)? What happened? As well as with “Confidential Assignment” (Hyun Bin).

1 Like

Usually, Viki creates fan channels for movies when they will be licensed. Not sure how they will manage that now that the CM system changed.

3 Likes

What about “Father I will take care of you”? That show is pretty hot. No fan channel! I’m skeptical with such a good rating like that.

The fan channel for this drama exists: https://www.viki.com/tv/32913c-father-ill-take-care-of-you but Viki didn’t get the license because the other site (D…) did.

2 Likes

the odd thing is, in the new project finder - we have some “fan channels” with videos on them yet we’re supposed to ask to take ownership of these now soon to be DELETED CHANNELS? what gives!

I mean, look at the Chinese ones in particular - I guess someone named “yunamia” is no longer around - so they are giving her things away? But why put up that which is about to be destroyed - ?

Some of those fan channels have videos. The Great Deletion 2, the Final Chapter is slated for “SUMMER”. It is may.

Moa Desaym

Ρerhaps they will obtain a licence for those?