R.I.P Kpop on Youtube

So recently they started to delet a lot of the people who do KPop-videos on Youtube and it makes me kinda sad and do you know why? I will tell you.

As far I found out from some differen chanels on Youtube is that the company CJE&M made a new rule some time ago that forbites you to use music from their artists unless your not working with CJE&M or with a partner-company of CJE&M so this means for most people in the world: You can’t react anymore (for example) to videos of Wanna one or something like this or whatver you wanted to do with the music from CJE&M. But damn CJE&M delets like more than thousands of chanles since some days and this is really crazy and stupid… Hopefully they don’t delet JREKML cause he is the best one…

So what do you think about this?

As more and more Korean companies and artists upload their songs and MVs and vlogs on their official channels, some even offering English subtitles, I really don’t think Kpop will disappear from YouTube anytime soon.
In fact, it’s a whole lot more comforting to know that YT won’t delete the song that I’ve just added to my favourites. Half of my song list is gone because those videos had been illegally uploaded. Now I can actually support my favourite artists.

3 Likes

This is not exclusive to K-Pop and it’s been happening for years now.
Music labels own the rights to their artists’ music and can request removing it from videos from creators who don’t have permission to use it. (Or claim their ad revenue if I’m not mistaken. :stuck_out_tongue:)
Labels may turn a blind eye sometimes though, so that a song/artist gets some more exposure.

2 Likes

The most funny thing is, if your artist posts on instagram an illegal upload of his own concert DVD and also says to his members “I have watched your solo concert DVD” “Oh you bought it?” “No it’s on YouTube” :joy: that was (CNBLUEs Jungshin btw.)
I think instead of blocking reaction videos or some creative videos using the music, which is actually free addvertisement, they should take care of ppl uploading whole albums without puting any work on their own in it.

Yes, it happened every now and then. But it was very lax. Very few videos got actually taken down. For instance, if a dancer used some music for his/her choreography, YouTube issued a warning that the music is copyrighted. I am an oriental dance teacher and a lot of such videos. Most of them have warnings, but they’ve been there for years now. Even unlisted videos (posted only for my students to learn the choregraphy) had that yellow mark.
Now, however, something has drastically changed. It has happened to many of my friends and colleagues. Their video gets muted (no music!) which is an utter disaster for a dance piece. Another friend of mine who used some music for background got her video muted and now it shows “not available for your country”. She had to hunt for royalty-free music and have it redone to reupload it. It’s a hecatombe!

Those Korean music companies are a little stupid: how are we westerners supposed to get to know K-Pop? YouTube videos (legally uploaded or not) are promoting this exotic music worldwide. It would be better to make a rule, that all music-video uploaders must post a link in the description to the artist’s and company’s website or to Amazon etc. where you can buy the track.

You have no reason to complain. In Germany we had such a thing called GEMA, which demanded from Youtube money for every single click on music videos. Otherwise the video was blocked in Germany. This was a huge problem. But GEMA gave in after several problems and stopped to block music videos. And the situation right now is so much better! If you want to listen and to inform yourself about K-Pop, you should follow the Korean music charts. This is no magic and requires just a bit effort. You can follow the entertainment channels, too and get any news about comebacks and new releases.

1 Like

The most hilarious about the GEMA was, they blocked videos regardless of who uploaded them, so even official videos have been blocked. There have been artists complaining to the GEMA for blocking their own videos.