Received a PM from a spammer? Let us know!

Ditty, Song, Rule, or Acronym

In order to spell words correctly with the letters “c - e - i” in them, this ditty, rule, or song is used as a easy reminder wherever English is taught as a native language. @mirjam_465, it’s used the way flashcards are used to improve correct answers. If you will, it’s used as an acronym.

2 Likes

Yes, but if you were to follow that rule blindly, the word “neither” would be spelled as “niether”.

I think that rule only applies if the final combination of “i” and “e” is pronounced as [i:].

6 Likes

If you would attend the elementary school in US you’d understand… :rofl: (That’s all I can say :wink: )

3 Likes
It's Really All, and Only About The Letter C 😉

Honestly it’s not complicated, if you hear the ditty in your head when you deal with words related only to the letter “c” :joy::rofl::rofl: Yes, the “i,” and “e” too, when all three are there, it helps to hear the ditty to spell the word correctly.:white_check_mark:
@bozoli, @mirjam_465

2 Likes

Did you learn this at school?

1 Like

That is apparently not an absolute rule because of many other scenarios, such as those mentioned in the following article:

5 Likes

:joy:

There is a saying that every rule has its exception. Or exceptions.

I’m happy the awful topic of this thread turned into something more fun. #lingonerds

6 Likes

@jadecloud88
I’m glad you brought/posted that link since everything I do here I get crucified; so I refrained myself from doing so, although I felt it was a good point of mention. Thank you so much!

@bozoli

It’s really weird, but; have you noticed? when some threads change the topic if they were ‘‘dead,’’ or unpleasant, so they are ‘‘forgotten’’ (pushed to the side) most of the time, they can ‘‘resuscitate’’ into something more meaningful and productive. This one is a good example: We learned something new.

3 Likes

And @mirjam_465, :smile: yes, we learn this in school. :woman_teacher:t5: :books: :memo: in my case, school in the island of :jamaica: :hibiscus: Jamaica :wink:

:grin: :smile: :laughing: :joy: Me!

3 Likes