Research about k-dramas

Hello!

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I guess a little advice could help!
I am currently doing research about K-Dramas and their short-term influence on the audience, and I was wondering if you think it would be possible to have Viki’s permission to show some very short clips (more or less 8-10) from some dramas to the participants of my study. I tried to contact Viki about it but I never received any answer, I don’t even know if I sent my email to the right address.
Does anyone know if something like this has ever been asked before? Do you think it would ever be feasible?
I know I am no important researcher or institution, but I think k-dramas became really popular and loved during these past few years and studying them would be very interesting for the academic world.
I do not want to overstep or anything, maybe I should just give up.

1 Like

If you have tried to contact Viki then maybe @brendas or @vikicommunity can help you as I don’t think any volonteer should or could help you. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you! Maybe I’ll try to send them a message :slight_smile:

Hm, except for Viki productions where Viki is a license holder. I would think you might need to ask the original license owner, but I am by far no pro on how this could actually work. Is it some kind of college/university related project? Maybe you have someone who can give you advice on how you might be able to use videos and if you can use promo trailers, as I am not sure about individually cut videos for special use.

Yes, it is a research project I am doing with University. If I’m not wrong I only need a few clips of a Viki Production drama. We might need some specific clips, that is why I don’t think promo trailers would work. I’ll also talk to my supervisor again and try to see what else we can do.

I don’t know if I can help you there but the idea is cool

Don’t give up on your search. As a researcher, I can tell you that there are ways to do it without even having the approval of the cabal, since they provide free access to some K dramas or, as we say here in Brazil, doramas (full or partial).
And congrats on the search. I am a dorameira and I can tell you that yes, they influence our lives because they bring, above all, a lightness and certain innocence in their productions.

1 Like

I’ve participated in several research studies conducted by graduate students at various colleges/universities about kdrama and about volunteering at viki. People just posted on the discussion forum and asked for volunteers. Sometimes they would pm me through my viki avatar. As long as you’re not trying to stalk people or sell something, I don’t think there is any problem as people can always not respond to you or politely decline! When the studies actually began, the researcher had me sign the consent form required by their respective institution. As to the use of a short clip, I don’t think there is any copy right problem if the clip is short enough under the “fair use” doctrine.

1 Like

Yes, it is and has contributed much to the tourism in South Korea. This article might help you in your research South Korea Tourism Statistics 2023: All You Need to Know | GoWithGuide :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve also read in other forum communities that people watching Kdramas are more likely visiting the country to go to the place that appeared in the movie. Others are also interested in trying Korean foods.

2 Likes

Unfortunately in the country I live in the “fair use” doctrine is only valid for content that is already public, so I’m afraid this doesn’t apply to my case :smiling_face_with_tear:. Still hoping I can find a way to get around the issue.

1 Like

Thank you for this useful information!

2 Likes