Savage--Internet Slang Words?

One of my American friends told me that “savage” had got new meaning as an Internet sang word.

When somebody describes you as savage, it doesn’t mean that you are “barbaric” or “uncivilized”; instead, they just think that you are really amazing.

It is quite interesting. As I am not a native English nor live in America, I am quite ignorant of the emerging English slang words on the Internet.

So guys, could you pls share some more Internet slang words in English or in your language?

Btw, would you use Internet slang words when subbing dramas? Many Chinese fansubbers do like to use Chinese idioms, dialects, Internet slang or some proper names when subbing movies and dramas. Sometimes intriguing and sometimes annoying.

Thank you~~~

Laura

1 Like

No. Never. Let me underline that. Never. And I’ll tell you why.

1. People from all over the world (not only native English speakers) read the English subs, and they may not know this new slang. We want viewers to understand what they’re reading.
  2. As happens for every language, there are people of different generations, who might not be aware of each new “trend”
  3. New trends are temporary. This word or expression may go out of use in one or two years, while shows remain for more than that, so future viewers might laugh in seeing it.
  4. This highly topical/slang language sounds weird in Asian mouths - especially in some older characters. For the same reason I avoid religious words that have crept in the language like “Jesus/Jeez, what are you saying there?!” This particular Korean/Chinese/Taiwanese etc. character may not be a Christian, so this word is completely out of character.
5 Likes

Hi irmar, Many thanks!!!

It makes great sense!!!

But sometimes, people do use English idioms in subbing, right? I think I have seen idioms like “The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree” and “beat about the bush”.

Thank you again for your brilliant and enlightening reply.

1 Like

Well, these are not temporary slang, they are idioms. They have been there for centuries and English learners are supposed to know them. Actually the first one about the apple exists in many** European languages as well.

** I purposefully didn’t write “many other European languages”, since the British seem to want to distance themselves from Europe.

1 Like

It would be difficult for people translating from English to their language if they saw “savage” and stuff like “lets crash the party”, “I crashed at her place last night” or “I bailed on her”. It would also be difficult for people who read the English subtitles to practice their English. It could also be a bit difficult because different regions will have different slang terms.

I try to avoid using any slang unless I’m with a friend I know or someone I grew up with who would understand it.

Savage meaning really amazing is kind of right but I think it’s more about what was said or done that is savage. It’s the joke or insult or prank or situation that is “savage” - which usually means “really amazing” or impressive and effective. An example might be a guy approaching a girl at a bar and getting rejected. Maybe he walks up and before he can say anything she says “no, not interested”. His friends might go “she’s savage” or “that was savage”. They’re amazed at how harsh and impressive the woman at the bar was in denying their friend before he even had an opportunity to say anything.

But the problem with slang like savage and sick and brutal… is that it’s very open to interpretation. You would need context and to read people’s emotions/faces to figure out “ok was that good or bad?”. And not everyone will agree on what is impressive enough to use the word “savage” or “amazing”. Just like an 83% grade might be really impressive for some parents but not impressive for another set of parents who expect at least 90%.

3 Likes

Thank you. You really ‘‘nailed’’ this one beautifully. :astonished:

1 Like

well every one I do live in America, and with me being older here, I have found it amazing that our language has changed a lot, yeah I recently heard some kids say savage in what they were talking about. yeah the language may be changing, I could say a bunch of words when I was growing up, even my parents when they grew up, and yes we made fun of those words they used. so as we do grow older, we just sit back ahd hear words like savage an entirrely different meaning now than in the past. this is savage!!! your meaning ok?

Remember when we used to say “groovy”? Who would understand that nowadays?

1 Like

yeah! outa sight, and so many more!! narly!!!