Searching the title from a tale of Hans Christian Andersen

Hi,

does anyone know a story of Hans Christian Andersen that includes some kind of ‘magic’ cup that will bring fortune, joy etc. to its owner as long as the owner doesn’t look inside? The cup is empty so the magic is destroyed when someone looks inside and it only works if the person believes in God without looking inside.

Would be nice to know the title if this tale is really written by him :slight_smile:

I’m afraid I don’t recall that story.

Maybe you can find it here:

2 Likes

Thanks, I feel as if I read/heard about it long time ago but the title is something I can’t remember anymore… probably because other stories of him are more famous.

LOL WTF!!!

look… now we can watch YT but not this page:

A Court in Germany ordered that access to certain items in the Project Gutenberg collection are blocked from Germany. Project Gutenberg believes the Court has no jurisdiction over the matter, but until the issue is resolved, it will comply.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s too bad! Is it the entire page or only certain books?

1 Like

The entire page is geoblocked…

I now read about it at wikipedia and wiki says you cannot use it from Germany and sometimes also not from other EU countries, but there was also a link to the German version (partner page) which has only German texts (including translations into German) that works. And old tales should be no problem so I may find this tale from him, thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No other hints? I read many tales but can’t recall anything about a cup. One about a pot and oatmeal, but no cup …

1 Like

I was thinking about that one too.

1 Like

it probably works with a VPN :slight_smile: browsers like opera and tor have them built-in!

2 Likes

Maybe in German it is a different word. It is a scene in Goodbye, my love and we try to figure out if/which name the tale has in German.

It is episode 3, minute 28.58.

They use it as a metaphor but maybe they just say it is a tale by H. C. Andersen; on the other hand Chinese dramas often use quotes that really exist.

1 Like

Yes, and sometimes “not Asians” should know better, but I really have no idea.

I would assume that “Kelch” would be the German word, but I have not found anything. I thought maybe there was some China topic in a tale, but only found the Nightingale and there is no cup at all, I was looking for tales about parents and the Chinese curriculum, but all I could find that indeed there are tales from Andersen told in school, but couldn’t find which.

Good luck for further investigations, it seems all other languages simply translated the English subs.

3 Likes