Segue Cafe - meet up with friends to chat about whatever strikes your fancy

Yes, it is very thought provoking. The video stated that the main ages for the fandoms are 13-25 yrs and that the companies are targeting this age range with the parasocial interactions. I find that very disturbing how they are targeting those young people and encouraging obsessive behaviors in order to increase profit without thought to the psychological damage they are inflicting on those younger fans and on the K Pop Stars too, who have to ā€œplay the gameā€. It was heartbreaking for me to read some of the comments from these younger fans in the comments section of the video. Some of the things the agencies are doing scared me, especially the ā€œboyfriend callsā€. I guess this is why the companies donā€™t want to prosecute the saesang fans and just accept an apology since a full investigation might reveal how the companies are actively encouraging obsessive behaviors that can get out of hand with some people. Not to mention the physical danger these Kpop Stars are put in. (How can agencies say they ā€œtake careā€ of their artists when they are creating an atmosphere like this?) I feel like agencies are partially responsible for when these crazy things happen. I hope agencies will realize that they do not have to go to some of the extreme measures with parasocial interactions in order to make money and can create a mentally safer environment for everyone.

I do wonder how things will play out now that the K Pop Groups are staying active longer and longer instead of disbanding. Obviously, these K Pop Stars are going to want more control over their personal lives the older they get. Perhaps they will be the ones to make positive and lasting changes in the industry.

4 Likes

I love it so much! I couldnā€™t stop laughing. Too funny that he had to keep pulling his drums back to him, and then got some help from his bandmate, and I died at the end when the mic stand and guitar got thrown. :rofl:

Edit: I watched the ā€˜realā€™ MV and decided I really like that song. They had some really great location shots in the video - very visually attractive, but it turned into another video that triggered my motion sickness. Why must they do that to me? :nauseated_face::woozy_face:

3 Likes

Question for the Cafe:

Why do people always sleep with all the lights on in Korean dramas? Is it that hard to film a bedroom scene where the lights are off? Itā€™s so weird. Also, why do people sleep in day clothes and not pajamas? And when I say day clothes, Iā€™m talking about suits, dresses, coats, evening gowns, tuxedos,panty hose, etc. I really wonder why they do that?

5 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure this is a question every drama lover has asked, but Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve ever read an actual answer to it. My completely amateur guess is that it all stems from saving money in the budget. But Iā€™d love to hear from someone who actually has insider knowledge about the real explanation.

4 Likes

Of course! They canā€™t be ā€œboyfriendsā€ all their lives! Theyā€™re growing older, they need to have their own lives and do their own thing. I canā€™t speak for all groups, but I have noticed that they debut doing exactly as the company tells them, and slowly start branching out on their own and expressing their own opinions. The amount of aegyo they do also significantly lowers :roll_eyes: EXO-Ls always complain about how we never get content from EXO, but Iā€™m glad theyā€™re doing whatever they want and nobody is forcing them to create social media accounts and post everyday. When we get content, we get quality content, not irritating boyfriend roleplay. Canā€™t say the same about NCTā€¦ I really wish SM would let them BREATHE! They have content almost every single day!

But the problem isā€¦ if you donā€™t do something sexy/quirky/stupid/boyfriend-like, you donā€™t get as much screen-time or you donā€™t get noticed. Especially with these huge kpop groups, you have to do something to stand out so you have your own fans, too. Iā€™ve noticed it myselfā€” everyone knows Chanyeol and Baekhyun because theyā€™re so funny, and Kai and Sehun because they dance so well, are supermodels, and have a lot of sexy content. Suho and Chen enjoy moderate popularity because one is the groupā€™s leader and the other is a vocal superpower. Xiumin usually just sits quietly and lets his members speak, so you donā€™t notice him much. Though he is a wonderfully talented guy, he is noticed only when he has a sexy choreography or photoshoot. So thatā€™s why I think these guys do whatever they can to be noticed.

The only exception I see is D.O. Itā€™s really surprising to see him be the way he is. He is the most non-kpop-idol kpop-artist ever. He rarely dyes his hair; itā€™s almost always black and not styled all that much. All the others will have fancy, elaborate costumes and this guy will be there in the middleā€¦ the most normal looking guy ever. Iā€™m sure you can spot him here without even knowing who he is.
No amount of money can make him do aegyo. His nicknames include ā€œSatansooā€ because he never shies from glaring at or hitting his members if they annoy him. But he also shows his unwavering support and love for them. He always looks like that one guy who just wants to go home at award shows. :joy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLww6m06b9I
In part, I think he can be the way he is because he is popular as a good actor and vocalist. But he has his own charms. I think GOT7ā€™s Jinyoung and BTSā€™s Suga are also like this. They have large, supportive fandoms without going all out or doing things theyā€™re not comfortable doing. Iā€™m glad for them, and I wish all artists are able to be who they want to be.

3 Likes

Many of us viewers and Vikians are wondering about this as well :rofl: There is even more peculiar stuff in Kdramas you can read about in this thread :hushed:

4 Likes

Now for the bit more mature audience the Taiwanese actor Tony Yang or Yang You Ning, heā€™s already taken :sweat_smile:, but we can enjoy watching him in Semi-Gods and Semi-Devils or The Rebel Princess :wink:

9 Likes

Itā€™s good to see EXO taking the lead and making changes in their parasocial interactions. I hope that they will be able to bring positive changes in SM Entertainment overall policies, although from what you say about NCT it will definitely take a while, which is unfortunate.
Yes, Iā€™ve noticed that some of the K Pop stars/groups are more free to do their own thing than others. The one Iā€™ve noticed most is Big Bang. Of course, they have been around a long time now but I watched some of their older stuff on YT and the group seems to go their own way pretty early on in their careers. For sure they are different from todayā€™s groups as they donā€™t really do much choreography which seems to be very important for most of the K Pop Groups. The lack of choreo doesnā€™t seem to be a problem as they have large popularity regardless.
I hope that in the future we can see more of K Pop stars like Big Bang and D.O. where they are just doing their own thing and I hope that that will be the norm rather than the exception.

4 Likes

Thanks for that info, @my_happy_place and @simi11. I will definitely check out that other discussion.

I enjoyed Tony Yangā€™s performance in Pursuit of Happiness. Nice to see he has some new dramas out. Yes, heā€™s so handsome!

4 Likes

I think itā€™s because of his acting career. He canā€™t have an eccentric hairstyle if he has to appear in a movie or drama. He started his acting career very soon, 2 years after his debut. Heā€™s a lead singer in EXO but heā€™s not a visual. They gave that position to others like Kai, Luhan or Chanyeol. Thatā€™s why he doesnā€™t have the best look. But for a lot of people including me, heā€™s the most handsome member. :heart_eyes:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/fffe39ca149561b65d3f83d612edede8/c501d13dcf23b6d1-b1/s640x960/59c46522b4dc7e32eb363959e21d1d27bb498632.jpg

5 Likes

The place feels empty without @kdrama. Her hiatus seems to be until September 3. Coffee and donuts on me.

7 Likes

Itā€™s funny because these two are my favorites among EXO. My introverted, wallflower self must naturally be drawn to the same nature in them. I havenā€™t exactly spent much time around the Kpop scene, but Iā€™m curious if I would also be drawn to the more wallflower-like members of other groups as well.

4 Likes

Aw! Iā€™m here for a minute I couldnā€™t stay away! How are the baristas?

Hot Cocoa for EVERYONE :coffee::coffee:

Red Sky Soon!:star_struck:

5 Likes

This is kind of random but this is the place for random, right?
I know Iā€™m kind of a weirdo, but K-drama guys who have prominent veins in their hands and arms and neck arteries that protrude when they get very emotional are sexy to me. I was watching The Bride of Habaek the other night and the ML was getting upset about something and the arteries in his neck really stood out. Dang! Thatā€™s something else besides the white button up shirt thatā€™s got a couple of top buttons undone with the black suit coat and watch that are a weakness for me. Iā€™m a bonafide weirdo, I know.

6 Likes

Iā€™ll join your weirdo posse, then. :joy:

@kdrama2020ali and I were just chatting about Junho (hard to imagine, I know, LOL), but he is also someone whose veins pop out. In JBL it happens when he yells or cries, and people even mentioned it in the TCs. Maybe itā€™s sexy because itā€™s a visible sign of their passion.

4 Likes

Gorgeousness Sexy @kdrama2020ali Trope! Me me me me too! It shows masculinity

3 Likes

Youā€™re not alone, directors know itā€™s a thing and want it for closeups. I donā€™t think they can do the same thing for the neck though.
ā€œ18 Againā€ Lee Do Hyun Hilariously Reveals How Male Actors Have To Actually Create Arm Veins For Close-Ups | KissAsian

6 Likes

@stardust2466_546 @my_happy_place @sweetybirdtoo
I hv watched Junho do pushups on set! For just these types of yummy tropes plus muscles! We seem to all hv the same tropes! Thatā€™s why we all get along. Ok off to watch DO. Another Sexy manā€¦:star_struck:

5 Likes

Hereā€™s what Iā€™m talking about gang:

Please hold me backā€¦

4 Likes

Add WATCH, White Shirt, Bracelet, Gorgeous Hands & Ring! Lordy

3 Likes