Segue Cafe - meet up with friends to chat about whatever strikes your fancy

Thank you so much for the promotion of Kihyun! Of course, I’ve seen them all already :blush:, but I appreciate the additional exposure.

Just in case, here are the other two songs on the album. My personal favorite (",Comma"):

And “Rain”

I posted the MV for the title track on debut day, but here it is again, because I feel like it. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

A new video was released for my favorite Kihyun solo song. They did it just for me, I’m sure.

3 Likes

Of course they did… Who wouldn’t be moved seeing your love and support, along with all the promotional posts? I myself listened to it only because you recommended it :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

That’s so sweet. Thanks for giving it a listen. :revolving_hearts:

4 Likes

OKAY I NEED A MOMENT. Lee Joon Gi, what on earth?!

Why does he look so younngggggg :sob::sob: It’s not fairrrrr you can’t walk around like that cheating time!

6 Likes

:joy::rofl:

Here you go @vivi_1485,
:heartbeat:배우 이준기 a.k.a Actor JG 李準基
:heartbeat: (@actor_jg) on IG

3 Likes

Just wanted to leave this here… It’s from a book I’m reading, and I think it puts into words what I feel about the SMLs of Dramaland - what makes them likable and what makes me want to strangle them.

This is the SML talking to the FL, sort of resigning to his fate as the SML and letting her be with ML(Paul)

5 Likes

Ugh, punch me right in the feels.

4 Likes

But I really don’t like it when the SML is gentle, helpful, cuter than the ML . . . and dense as a fog (the kind that white panel truck always comes out of). Dude, there’s a reason you never win, you dolt.

I like it when the SML is a bit of an odd duck, snarky, smart as a whip, and unwilling to give an inch.

There have been a couple of dramas on Viki where the writers introduce the ML and the SML in a sort of confusing way, or at least don’t clarify their relationship right away, and I have spent a LOT of time thinking their roles are reversed, and then the FL and the ML are suddenly (sometimes literally) thrown together, and I go “Wow! I did not see that coming.”

So far, it’s been family dramas and police procedurals that have done that to me.

But, in the case of Theo the romance novel character . . . gag me! I’m sorry; he deserves rejection. Just me. Clearly my mileage may vary.

(Dramabeans)

4 Likes

Wow-another Rock Drummer passes away. Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins died suddenly on Friday March 25, 2022 while the band was on tour in Colombia. Foo Fighters are scheduled to perform at the 2022 Grammy Awards next week, so not sure if the band will take the stage or not. I wouldn’t be surprised if the band decides to go ahead and perform but make it a tribute to Taylor with Dave Grohl taking the drums and someone else singing. Glad Taylor was still alive to be a part of Foo Fighters induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2021. RIP Taylor and condolences to his family, friends, and fans.
https://variety.com/2022/music/news/foo-fighters-taylor-hawkins-dead-dies-1235215362/

Apparently the Grammys will include a Stephen Sondheim tribute performance with several singers who have performed Sondheim songs in the past. I had wondered about it. There was a rumor Grammys were trying to get Barbra Streisand to perform “Send In the Clowns” but she declined. They have about 5 people now so I assume it will be a medley, and not 5 whole songs which would take up a good chunk of time. Well, I’m counting on the Tony Awards to really do Sondheim justice, but it’s nice to see the Grammy Awards honor him too. It will be interesting to see the BTS reaction shots to Sondheim (if they do any). Although maybe BTS will be off getting ready for their performance at that time. I’m wondering if this Grammy performance will be the Megan thee Stallion remix of Butter since Megan had to drop out last minute at Billboard Awards performance.
https://variety.com/2022/music/news/stephen-sondheim-grammys-ben-platt-cynthia-erivo-leslie-odom-rachel-zegler-1235213093/

They announced Nas is set to perform, so I wonder if Jay Z would make a surprise appearance with him as Grammy Nominated Rap Song “Bath Salts” features Jay Z on the track, and then they could add a little tribute to DMX at the end, since Bath Salts was on DMX album. I guess we will see.

So many important music stars for the In Memoriam segment this year I really hope the Grammy Awards give everyone their due. I’d love to see a decent music tribute to Don Everly/Everly Brothers and also to Meatloaf, but the segment is only about 10-15 minutes max and the producer already stated that Sondheim will be the focus of In Memoriam segment and not a separate part in the show, so I feel we’ll be lucky to see a photo of those rock n roll stars.

1 Like

Glenn Miller — In The Mood - 1940, oops didn’t show up like I wanted, this is one of those oldie songs that gets us in the mood! neat story behind Glen miller and all. and song before my time, theres a movie too. called Glen Miller story

2 Likes

Love Glenn Miller! “In The Mood” is great. I also love “Moonlight Serenade”. Yes, I guess the mystery of what happened to him will never be truly solved. The movie is good too-love Jimmy Stewart as Glenn!

In The Mood

Of course, I think Benny Goodman is probably my favorite of the big bands, but to be honest, they were all great: Duke Ellington, Louis Prima, Cab Calloway, Artie Shaw, Tommy Dorsey, and many more.

Duke Ellington

Louis Prima

2 Likes

@frustratedwriter,
Your spirit is a beauty! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :blush:

:star_struck::partying_face::partying_face::rofl: Just love those foot, and hip moving band music! :musical_note::notes: Thanks for the links! @table122000

@entwyfhasbeenfound,
Any thoughts. . . ?

:rofl::rofl: Circa 1996 - 1997, Key West, Florida, :us:USA. They always had live piano music at The Marriott Hotel’s lounge. I use to love the tranquil, but very much alive mood.

1 Like

yes I also love them all, now see? another old movie to find!!

2 Likes

@leerla73
You are welcome! So many great songs and bands in that Big Band Era.

Cab Calloway (with the fabulous Nicholas Brothers)

Artie Shaw

Tommy Dorsey

Not related but had to share this awesome video of star dancers of the Golden Age of Hollywood. I watched Fred Astaire films when I was little and was inspired to take tap dancing lessons. Alas, I didn’t have the talent level of Fred and these other stars, but I had a lot of fun! EDIT: If you Click on CC, you can see the movie titles that all of the dance scenes are taken from. So many great classic films.

3 Likes

Unparalleled, so fun, such memories :star2::dizzy: :blush:

2 Likes

I didn’t know where to put this, but since we discuss stuff about music here…

This MV intrigues me sooo much… I’ve watched it so many times and still can’t understand it completely.

The majority of the comments— and I myself, thought this was about the woman being in a toxic relationship that hurts her but she can’t control herself because she’s so infatuated with his stage persona. He’s abusive but also her co-star who plays her love interest in their play. In the end, she explodes on stage and shows her real feelings, but he just plays it off as part of the storyline and everyone claps for their performance. It was haunting and sad.

But then someone commented that SHE could be the toxic one, and then suddenly the whole MV looked different. This woman falls in love with her co-star but he’s a professional, thus he rejects her romantically but continues working with her. It could be interpreted that she’s the one beating herself up over how she can’t stop herself from falling in love with him when she knows she shouldn’t. She keeps falling for his stage persona and he keeps doing his job as a professional. Maybe they date in the middle but it doesn’t work out, hence the breakup. She keeps changing faces and styles throughout the MV but he stays the same… which could show that she’s blurring the lines between professional and private life, while he stays immaculate, a wall against her advances. Her expression at the end is slightly psychotic.

I’d love to discuss it, because it bewilders me. He makes no sign at all that he likes her, so I can’t understand it. She is hiding her pain and pretending but is it because he is a bad partner or just so bent on rejecting her? What was that ring in the end? When everyone is celebrating her birthday, he smiles at her, like he’s trying to be civil. When she’s attacked by cameras, he’s indifferent. So is it portraying him mistreating her or her being overly obsessed and refusing to see reality?

PS: Taeyon is AMAZING, I am such a fangirl. I already love her voice(one of my favorite soloists), but her acting, his acting… everything was so perfect, they looked so perfect, it was so enchantingly haunting.

2 Likes

ok heres another set. any one know them?

4 Likes

Oh, Abe Vigoda [Fish] from Barney Miller, and of course Ponch and Jon from CHiPS. Those TV shows from the 1970’s, I watched many of them. Wasn’t “Chico and the Man” by the same producers as “Barney Miller”? I used to watch “Chico” every week.

2 Likes

Can’t Control Myself Video:

Watching the video and reading the lyrics, it seems the song is about a woman with an obsessive love that she cannot control. From the scene in, I think, the kitchen of her apartment my take on it was the man is an ex-lover who is also her co-star in the play. From their expressions, I believe that they may have dated (perhaps they fell in love while on set? or it may have started before they were cast in the play, not sure) but he broke it off and left [video shows him leaving the apartment and going down the stairs] She cannot accept the breakup and still longs for him and she tries to get his attention but he ignores her now that he has left the relationship. So the only thing that she can do is take solace in their scenes together in the play which he treats as strictly professional. When she tried to make it more, he pushed her away, which only deepened her sadness and obsession. And the man is determined to cut her out completely as shown by his ignoring her when she is harassed by the photographers. The lyric states “You call me crazy but I can’t control myself.” The Man has seen her behaviors and she has possibly begged him to get back together and he has said to her “You are crazy”-we don’t know because this is not shown on screen, only stated in the lyrics. The feelings continue to build up as she can’t let go and the man continues to ignore her and refuse to speak with her on anything but saying their lines in the play leading to her meltdown on stage which the man treats as pure acting and ignores the mental breakdown signs [probably because he does not want to deal with her in any way] At the end of the video she has been driven mad by her unrequited love and obsession for this man as shown by her melting makeup and running mascara. The video ends as it began with her washing her bloody hands in the sink. We are not sure if she has attacked the man and it is his blood or if she has harmed herself. She was wearing the ring at the beginning of the video when she was washing her hands, so I took it as while she was scrubbing her bloody hands she pushed off the ring and it fell in the sink. If we believe that she harmed the man, the ring in the sink may signify that she is now free of the relationship because he’s not there anymore, so her obsession with him is over. Or it could just be a symbol of her “crazy love” as the ring would symbolize their love and relationship which is now broken (since the ring is not on her finger the mutual love is gone-they are no longer a couple) and also tainted (since the ring is in bloody water) by her madness and obsession.

1 Like