Segue Cafe - meet up with friends to chat about whatever strikes your fancy

Hahahaha! :rofl:

4 Likes

I was going from Swedish to English and was so surprised, I know I must have scrolled by it before but this time I was no that can’t be… :grin:

5 Likes

Do we actually have Klingons between us? The ones who speak this language? Like, is it some sort of Alternate Universe thing? Star Trek Universe?

Viki, be kidding us.

:sweat_smile: :joy: :grin: :rofl:

4 Likes

That is so hilarious!

4 Likes

Someone will volunteer even though they’re not fluent in Klingon, only to take weeks or months to sub just one episode, leading to accusation of using a Klingon translator, infighting and being reported :roll_eyes:

Obvious tlhih don’t jatlh tlhingan! :triumph:
jagh lucharghlu’ta’bogh HuH ghopDu’lIj lungaSjaj! * :alien:
May the bile of the vanquished fill your hands!

*something of note: The Klingon Pocket Dictionary appears to have English and Swedish translation?! Hmmmm…:thinking:

Search Expressions
"" search for a phrase (containing more than one word)
***** matches any alphabetical character
tlh:… search Klingon words (case sensetive)
en:… search English translations
sv:… search Swedish translations
pos:… search part-of-speech field
(use abbrev from Introduction, ns#, vs# or free text)
def:… search defining sources
ref:… search referring sources

3 Likes

Something to practice on? :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Now it really makes me think, they are here on Viki. :rofl: :flying_saucer: :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

y’all are goofie, crazy silly BUT we got new languages, I didn’t see Atlantians!!! and I thought y’all were a hoot! thanks for making my day!!!

7 Likes

But a valide language would be Esperanto, I believe when I worked on the Train trips in Japan docu they mentioned it that some train stations had town signs in Esperanto.

6 Likes

ok we talking androids, skeletons, here; my worst nightmare???

Skeletonics / スケルトニクス

3 Likes

how about these

anyone ever see these, heard of them?

2 Likes

Yes… but I´m old… :wink:

2 Likes

well, me
too!!!

3 Likes

If you haven’t already watched, I find the wife’s Korean :kr: fluency so neat! She’s originally from Ghana. :ghana: The titles/topics are more for clickbait, imo, the videos are quite interesting. It’s a total of three parts uploaded, more on them . . .

1 Like

Yup, except Gene Autry doesn’t ring a bell, is Charles Bronson missing :wink:

I loved western films but most I loved back then Indians later American Natives… as Americans probably never heard of Karl May’s stories about the Cowboys and the Indian tribes. Written by a German author who hasn’t visited the “New World” yet has written about the Wild West. (He visited after he wrote these stories North America). There are many I think 7 books about them.

As a child I indeed watched in the movie theater Old Shatterhand (played by US actor Lex Barker) and Winnetou (Pierre Brice who was once a French Legionnaire).
The OST music was for the movies composed by a German composer and if you are a baby boomer like me, all Europe or the Central Europe remembers fondly these series during their childhood. I admit I wanted marry my Winnetou hero :rofl: :rofl:

This info would also be fit for the History buffs :rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

Yes, I recognize all of them, including Gene Autry, the original “Singing Cowboy.” Back in the day, he had hit records, many films, and his own TV show. I think today he is best remembered as the owner of the Major League Baseball Team California Angels, and the singer of the Christmas songs “Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer”, “Frosty the Snowman,” and “Here Comes Santa Claus.” (He co-wrote Here Comes Santa Claus.")
Here is a video of him singing his Signature song (which he also co-wrote) “Back in the Saddle Again”. [Click on CC for lyrics in English]

Seeing all of these "Cowboy actors, " it reminds me of the song by the Amazing Rhythmn Aces, inspired by Roy Rogers and all of the other great Cowboys of the films and television.

1 Like

How would you change that into something befitting a regular conversation? Should they remove all the big words? Should idioms be removed, leaving the bare meaning, also?

1 Like

Well, firstly, I disagree that the word “vicariously” isn’t used by many people. ( I guess because it is used by me) But to answer your inquiry: No, I don’t think you need to remove all the “big words.” In my opinion, it is always good to increase your vocabulary. I know I have learned some new English words since I came to Viki. I will agree that, for some reason, I see more old-fashioned words often in the translations for Asian dramas, but it’s not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. For idioms, it depends. I try not to use English language idioms/slang terms when translating dialog because not every viewer will be aware of them and they can be confusing to people. Plus, slang changes all the time, so a translation that makes sense at the time might not in a year or two. But sometimes an English idiom or English slang term really fits and it is difficult not to use it. You can put in a Translator note/definition to clarify.

3 Likes

The questions were directed at Stevie. Slang is more apt when the original language is using slang. The trouble is getting the audience to understand it and using slang that’s widely used.

Archaic words are learning opportunities in disguise.

3 Likes

As I said, the lines didn’t need changing, as they expressed what was was meant eg. ‘so, I was experiencing the excitement … through you’. ‘Vicariously’ just got in the way. If there had to be alternatives, one might use ‘virtually’, ‘remotely’, ‘bizarrely’.

2 Likes