Segue Cafe - meet up with friends to chat about whatever strikes your fancy

It’s so bad that it’s good.

Let’s have a show of finger hearts for the incredibly cheesy, hysterically melodramatic, over-the-top yet somehow adorably compelling supernatural police procedural: Forbidden Love.

Truly, I don’t know how deal with it. Every time a chunk of good acting or dialog shows on-screen and I think, “Okay, this is getting good!” . . . then this happens:

(My graphic mashup)

“Yes, my warriors, I have called you together to admire my plastic gumiho chieftan bun and my smooth and creamy Velveeta makeup.”

That was in 2004. Since then, actress Yi Hwi Hyang has become an ever-young grand dame of the Korean entertainment world. Whew! Am I glad!

(MyDramaList)

1 Like

I was just watching her in something (a recent drama). I had never seen her before, but she is so elegantly beautiful.

1 Like

it only took 4 hours? That’s quite amazing, if you ask me.

2 Likes

Sadly, I think you may be right, @entwyfhasbeenfound. The Viki Volunteer model as we know it will possibly be gone within the next few years. Let’s be real: the volunteer model has never been a viable business model. For all the reasons you stated and more. One issue I have noticed: As volunteers, there is often a lack of a support system or a backup plan. Someone gets sick, or other real-life issues happen and people have to drop out for various reasons, and the projects are in crisis as the Teams scramble to compensate with varying levels of success. For a Business, there are support mechanisms in place to handle such issues so that things continue to run smoothly. To be honest, I’m surprised that Volunteer model has lasted this long. I think that is a testament to both the volunteer community and Viki corporate. It saddens me deeply to think about Viki not having volunteers as the foundation, but I’m seeing volunteer opportunities shrinking little by little. Certainly the English language volunteers have seen opportunities become fewer. And now even Segmenting has been affected. The talented Volunteers are what make Viki so special; I hate to see that diminished. I still hope that somehow there will be a way to work together with Corporate.

1 Like

I loved her in “Beautiful Days.” It is nice to see that she is still working today.

I want to see a gumiho who looks like this!

(Created with Discord app BlueWillowAI)

Pay people to write subtitles for you vs. getting it virtually free. Variable quality, quantity, and timely availability of subtitles might affect viability.

Viki didn’t start fansubs, it certainly won’t end it.

1 Like

New this Easter at H Mart, specialty candy that will knock bunnies and baby chicks right out of the picture. Artisanal, flavorful, and only 30.00 USD/39,521.519 KRW per piece. What a deal!

(created with BlueWillowAI)

(Hope everyone has a good day on April 9, 2023, whatever your spiritual leanings are. I am soooooo ready for a bright respite in the craziness of life.)

4 Likes

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Happy Easter every one

4 Likes

Happy Easter to all who celebrate. :tulip:

6 Likes

Things I think about while scrolling for the right language… How many movies/series here on Viki is on Klingon? No I don’t speak the language and it’s highly unlikely that I ever will but still it’s on the list of languages. And I’m a curious person.

8 Likes

Hahahaha! :rofl:

4 Likes

I was going from Swedish to English and was so surprised, I know I must have scrolled by it before but this time I was no that can’t be… :grin:

5 Likes

Do we actually have Klingons between us? The ones who speak this language? Like, is it some sort of Alternate Universe thing? Star Trek Universe?

Viki, be kidding us.

:sweat_smile: :joy: :grin: :rofl:

4 Likes

That is so hilarious!

4 Likes

Someone will volunteer even though they’re not fluent in Klingon, only to take weeks or months to sub just one episode, leading to accusation of using a Klingon translator, infighting and being reported :roll_eyes:

Obvious tlhih don’t jatlh tlhingan! :triumph:
jagh lucharghlu’ta’bogh HuH ghopDu’lIj lungaSjaj! * :alien:
May the bile of the vanquished fill your hands!

*something of note: The Klingon Pocket Dictionary appears to have English and Swedish translation?! Hmmmm…:thinking:

Search Expressions
"" search for a phrase (containing more than one word)
***** matches any alphabetical character
tlh:… search Klingon words (case sensetive)
en:… search English translations
sv:… search Swedish translations
pos:… search part-of-speech field
(use abbrev from Introduction, ns#, vs# or free text)
def:… search defining sources
ref:… search referring sources

3 Likes

Something to practice on? :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Now it really makes me think, they are here on Viki. :rofl: :flying_saucer: :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes