Segue Cafe - meet up with friends to chat about whatever strikes your fancy

I understand they may love Kpop and want to do that kind of music, but my criticism would be that it is Sooo, Sooo, hard for an Asian to ‘make it’ in America and you’ve got so many Asian-Americans/Canadians going to Korea to live out their dream, because the North American music industry doesn’t want them. It’s going to be a hard road for that group, no matter where they are, why not bring that flavour back to The States and build an American following.

Because I know the American music industry is so racist, I personally would choose to support Koreans singing Kpop as opposed to Caucasians who already have privilege in the music industry. I don’t know if that makes any sense outside my brain.

3 Likes

From the video link that @table122000 posted

I think SM gave up on that with Super Junior years ago. lol They are notoriously bad at synchronized choreography. I’m sure part of it is that the members all have full schedules outside the group so practicing together doesn’t happen much. Their MVs aren’t usually too bad, but their live stuff, well. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love SuJu, they just can’t dance as a group. lol

3 Likes

Oh, I see. Thanks for the information.

I didn’t know that about Suho. Glad that he was able to finally debut with EXO. I have heard stories about other idols who continued to be trainees for years, “almost” debuting with one group and then finally really debuting with another group. It must be very hard and stressful to work with a group of people and then be told last minute that you won’t be debuting with them.
Yeah, I admire Ji Hun for his positive outlook. I’m sure it was crushing to hear he had been cut from the group after so many months. From the video, Ji Hun seems very sweet natured. He mentioned that his biggest wish is to have a BTS/Big Hit trainees reunion party with all the former trainees, including the BTS members attending so everyone can get together with old friends. I hope that he is able to do that trainees reunion someday. He seems to really miss the friendships more than anything else.

2 Likes

I see your point. Yeah, if K Pop is more about a certain look rather than a distinct style of music, EXP Edition have a tough time ahead of them.

2 Likes

I see your point. Frankly, the American music industry is very difficult for anyone in my opinion, regardless of ethnicity. I feel that part of your insights goes to what I said before about people who are outside of the “expected demographic” of the various genres of popular music often facing a backlash. Examples for USA would be white people in Rap/Hip Hop music or Black people in Country music. Asians also would be outside the expected demographics of those genres in America. Here EXP Edition members are outside the expected demographic for K Pop Idol groups. Usually anyone that tries to go into music genre where they are outside of the norm will have to be 10 times better than the other performers in order to overcome the prejudices of the audience and the industry peers. That being said, I agree with you that EXP Edition has a very tough road ahead of them regardless, because Korea or America it is not easy.

3 Likes

I thought about it, and… k-pop isn’t really a genre, is it? I believe genre transcends language, culture and ethnicity. It doesn’t matter WHO plays or sings it, i will know if someone’s performing jazz or hip hop or Indian classical. The same can’t be said about kpop. If those (mostly non-Korean) composers sold their song to an American band, no one would have a clue that it was k-pop. Most of these k-pop group’s songs are composed with English lyric and then a Korean lyricist changes it up before the artists record it in the studio. They practice dancing and stuff with the English lyric version, if the Korean lyric ver hasn’t been made yet.

Your comparison with the hip hop genre would have worked if EXP Edition was trying to get into the Korean trot genre. Now THAT is a genre. No matter who sings it, what they’re wearing or whether it has a music video, I’d know it’s Korean trot. EXP seems to be copying a style, not adding to a genre.

2 Likes

I see your point. I think there has been debate about if K Pop Idol music is a separate genre of music or not. Definitely it has a certain style.

I tried to find out more about EXP Edition as I was curious if they were still around or not. There was press about them in 2020 but I couldn’t find anything since and their YT Channel last upload was in 2020 as well. Looks like they are on hiatus for sure. I couldn’t find any news that said they disbanded.
While I was looking around I found some articles about Non Korean K Pop Idols. There are more non-Koreans trying to make it in the K Pop industry than I expected.

2 Likes

Well, SM just kickstarted their global auditions project, so they do have a chance… I don’t know, I’ve seen a lot of people(Indians, too) talking about wanting to be k-pop stars - and it feels like their motivation is just what they see. They want to dance and sing and perform and be loved on stage and see their idols up close. I don’t see why you can’t do that in your own country. Of course, you’ll have to put in extra work. But you’re gonna have to put in quite a lot of effort to integrate yourself into a new culture, too. If you follow a band for long enough, you’ll notice that even the Chinese members dont completely fit in. They have to master a new language and culture. They want to go home and sing/speak in their own language. And there’s the question of longevity. When you get older, you’re bound to want to go back to your family and people.

2 Likes

I agree it is easier to sing in your native language and be familiar with the culture as you try to make it in the music business rather than learning a new language and culture and trying to fit in as a foreigner. It’s a whole other level of stress added.

In other news, Soompi posted this article about the jeweler who made DAWN and Hyuna’s custom engagement rings. As I thought, the center stones are opals, with colored diamond accent stones. I had wondered about the accent stones- I thought maybe different colored sapphires. So the traditional diamond stones are included in the rings. Designer says they worked closely with DAWN on the design of the rings and he chose the stones himself. The designer seems kind of exasperated tone. I guess they got a lot of enquiries about if people could buy the rings for themselves not understanding it was a custom piece. I love how unique the rings are, but then I like opals. I wonder if the couple will have custom wedding bands made or if this engagement ring is it. I notice that many times couples just have one band ring instead of separate engagement and wedding rings.
https://www.soompi.com/article/1511553wpp/jewelry-brand-that-made-hyuna-and-dawns-customized-rings-shares-details-about-them

2 Likes

Question for the Cafe-

Watching the year end music shows I notice that majority of performers have what looks like earbuds? in their ears. Why is that? How can they hear anything? Apologies if I asked this question before-I can’t remember if I did or not.

Also, question about BTS
So, I watched the ex-trainee video earlier this week and I am wondering. Was BTS supposed to have more members at first or was it always supposed to be a 7 member group? Someone posted a interview clip of BTS members talking about the trainee/pre-debut days and they mentioned that there were 9 people living at the dorm. So I’m wondering if Ex Trainee Ji Hun was actually a member and then Big Hit decided to change the number of people in the group to 7 and he got cut at that point or if the group was always supposed to be 7 people and Big Hit narrowed it down to 8 candidates and then Ji Hun was the final person cut. The set up is not clearly explained in the video.

3 Likes

I just fell down the rabbit hole after finding Baekho!

Some HOTTIES in there - I need more investigation

5 Likes

That’s the in-ear feedback… they can hear themselves with that - especially in stadiums or big arenas. They usually hear the same thing as what’s coming from the speakers. It’s very hard to sing when you can’t hear your voice(s) over the screaming crowd. Also, it’s used to modulate your own voice for easier harmonization with the other members, since you can hear everyone at the same time.

Around 0:46, Baekhyun takes out his in-ear feedback so he can hear the fans scream his name - he can’t hear it well otherwise, because the audio apparatus is good at its job.
Also, you’ll notice that there are no speakers near where they’re standing. They’re(the speakers) a little far off, surrounding the Dome and near the main stage. It would be very hard for them to hear themselves without the in-ear apparatus.
5 Likes

What do you all think of her top, matched with her jeans? :jeans: I personally :heavy_heart_exclamation::heart: it! :slightly_smiling_face: The hand bag is also cute!

1 Like

Thanks for explaining about the in ear feedback devices. Much appreciated.

2 Likes

Finally some news about BIGBANG. They are releasing a new song in the spring! And TOP is leaving YG. Article doesn’t say he is leaving the group, so that is good news. Seems like a lot of the K Pop stars are in similar set up these days where group members are in different agencies but they still record and perform together as a group. No mention of BIGBANG appearing at Coachella this year-I guess that got cancelled. Too Bad. Well, at least there will be a new song.
https://www.soompi.com/article/1511763wpp/breaking-bigbangs-t-o-p-leaves-yg-group-announces-spring-comeback

4 Likes

Wow, a comeback :partying_face:.

I think that TOP leaving YG is probably a good decision for him. Hope he’s happy :grin:

3 Likes

Leave it to the Olympics to make me sob like a baby. NBC just really loves to tug at our heartstrings. Does anyone else enjoy watching the Olympics?

4 Likes

I’d rather watch the after effects, love the olympics, but just too much drama for me, these kids go through so much to try and win that gold, people watching them and so on, they are onstage all the time, like the girl that had that breakdown, , so all of them one way or other is affected…

3 Likes

Not watching the Olympics(it’s exam season :sob:), but i always wondered what Olympian athletes do after they retire. And then I saw this episode of Workman a few weeks ago…

For anyone who doesn’t know, Workman is an educational variety comedy show hosted by MC and ex-news anchor Jang Sung Kyu. Their tagline is “Reviewing all the part-time jobs in Korea” and that’s what Jang Sung Kyu does in every episode. In this one, hes working part time at a taekwondo dojo for children, and the owner is an ex-Olympian.

It feels weird to see the pictures and stuff of his “glory days” in the Olympics and Asian Games when he’s still so young and just starting a family. It’s also kinda sad, actually.

3 Likes

I’ve thought about that, too. So many of them dedicate their whole lives to their training, for years and years, to make it to the Olympics for that ONE moment. When it’s over, I can’t imagine what they must go through. The lucky few might find a place within the sport, as a coach or commentator or something, but most have to find a whole new path.

3 Likes