Segue Cafe - meet up with friends to chat about whatever strikes your fancy

I wonder how many people that watch Kdramas are aware of these real life chaebol families and some of the ‘scandals’ (or crimes) that they are involved in.

The very first one they mention, the airline (ex-?)heiress, is pretty well know though, but what about the other ones? I’ve been following some of the news around these families over the years and honestly, they do seem as ‘above the law’ if their cases don’t go viral :cry:.

6 Likes

I KNOW!!! :scream: :fearful: The wait kills me! AAaaaaaaggghhhhh! :crazy_face:

Oh! But I found an unexpectedly funny show to watch in the meantime on Netflix. It hooked me but all episodes are ready to binge. Clean with Passion for Now. It’s really an odd show. At first I didn’t think I would watch much of it but Kim You-jung is such a mess in this that I just kept watching… in fascinated horror… waiting to see what grubby-girl was going to do next and will she give cooties to the ML AGAIN ahahaha POOR ML! (Yoon Kyun Sang) What kind of hellish match is that! :rofl:

Yoon Kyun Sang is such a giant! 6’4" He towers over everyone in that show. Our favorite-love-to-hate-him - Corrupt Left or right minister (Ahn Suk-hwan) is in that show as the grandfather and he looks like a tiny child next to Yoon-ssi … :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

I keep thinking how he kept avoiding to take her call after the show, because he was afraid that she would ask him to go fishing with her (he hates the type of fishing she likes) :rofl:

And now I really will go to sleep :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

True. There is a HUGE ethics problem with both shows. But ignore it because it is a tv show, not reality - the stories are funny. I liked both of them. I liked the emperor in Loved Script (But he was not crazy - he was just pretending until he figured out who was trying to kill him)
…and I loved the wacko interactions between PSJ and Ji Sung in Kill Me Heal Me. That show had HIGHS and Lows and hysterically funny scenes. :rofl:

7 Likes

and I didn’t ever finish the love script, looks like another on my list

anyone ,your gas prices in your area?? here in NC 3.99

4 Likes

No lol I just find it fascinating. I do want to visit the country but that’s it :sweat_smile: I don’t think I ever want to leave my own country.

3 Likes

I don’t like dabbling in real life families anyway… I know a lot of them have crazy stories in every country. I do know about the Samsung chaebol scandal though. But the heir isn’t going to take over that company in the future.

I don’t really like watching angsty chaebol dramas - its basically a melodramatic soap opera but everyone has more power and money to torment each other and themselves more. I’m happy with my unrealistic outrageous goofy chaebol-ordinary person romcoms :sweat_smile::laughing:

6 Likes

Credit:
“. . .due both to inflation and the war in Ukraine. Right now, the average price for gas is $4.10 a gallon in New Jersey, $4.21 in New York and $4.22 in Connecticut. The national average is $3.92 a gallon, a more than 30 cent increase from just five days earlier. . .”

3 Likes

That’s a beautiful thing to know, especially at your young years. Your destiny is beautiful! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m thinking about @irene06 as I write this . . . :place_of_worship::pray:t5:

3 Likes

Happy 29th birthday to BTS’s Suga, March 9th. I hope you are enjoying your special day. :tada: :birthday: :tada:

(KpopStarz)

3 Likes

Price gouging. That is just pure greed on the part of the gas and oil companies. There is no reason to raise prices like that other than greed and speculation.

3 Likes

How much was it before then?

1 Like

So glad that you and others here are watching F4 Thailand! It really is a good drama. For sure one of the best of the currently airing dramas.

Yes. I agree that this Thailand version takes many of the problematic issues of the other versions/original source material and has made good changes in this version to deal with the issues. It’s been great to watch the episodes. The changes they made with some of the characters and story points make this version really good and interesting.

So glad you are enjoying F4 Thailand:Boys Over Flowers. Yes, the 1 episode a week format is killing me! The struggle is real! :grinning: There has been a lot of good discussion about the drama at MDL, and there’s also a discussion at Soompi Forums which I’m participating in. Encourage everyone to join in the fun at those forums. I’ve also been following a fantastic podcast about the drama called F4 Obsessed. Those ladies are really great as they discuss the drama symbolism and myth usage. I encourage everyone to check it out. They just posted about Ep. 11. Here is a link to their Playlist which has all the episodes:
F4 Obsessed: A Deep Dive YT Playlist

Another podcast about Ep. 1-9 is here:
Daebak! A KDrama Podcast F4 Thailand: Boys Over Flowers EP 1-9

I just found A Business Proposal on Netflix and I am hooked! It’s so funny! Loving the female lead and the grandfather is a hoot! The pacing is good too since it’s only 12 episodes. Things are moving along nicely. Yeah, it’s hard to wait for the new episodes.

5 Likes

to chat about: ok this is one, PAY IT FORWARD we need to do this too, an act of kindness is much needed now

Waiting in line to pay for groceries while maintaining a 6ft distance, this man cut in line. He didn’t appear to notice what he’d done.

The person he skipped didn’t say anything, just maintained the proper distance.

When it was time for the man to pay he reached in his back pocket and pulled out a small note pad. He’d forgotten his wallet.

He looked a bit disappointed and embarrassed. The person he skipped stepped up and told the cashier they’d take care of his groceries. (Which only consisted of Milk and Chocolate Chip Cookies.)

He was more than grateful. He kindly thanked them and off the man went.

Upon arrival to the register, the cashier asked: “He cut you off and you paid for his groceries… Why??”

“They calmly replied with a smile: “I hope that if one day my Dad forgets his wallet, someone will step up and buy his Milk and Cookies”

With all the negativity going on in the world…I thought it would be nice to share this moment.

A little kindness goes a long way. Why not pay it forward?

8 Likes

This makes my heart happy and re-affirms to me that there are still many kind and wonderful people in the world.

7 Likes

I know there ios many that haven’t been reconized

1 Like

This was informative and funny :laughing:

3 Likes

Totally, sometimes I felt like it didn’t have to much sense in other versions, but this one is good and this kids are precious lol

3 Likes

This is so nice, I love the story!!!
And yes, I think that change that things is our hands, you decide to get mad and be rude or you can be kind.

That’s so sweet! the story makes my day, thanks!!

5 Likes

I also think it may be the “Legend of Fuyao.” :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes