Segue Cafe - meet up with friends to chat about whatever strikes your fancy

heres a 4’ 9 1/2 same here, heres a funny, off the list , _ went to the store yesterday, course I needed help with groceries due to healing arm, this guy helped, and with me curious I asked him his height, 6’3! , as for my family, I am the shortest, my ggreatgrandma was that short, my bro 5’8, sis, 5’3 other sis 5’2 , my sons, reaches almost 6’ so I am shorter 4’ll, but just to remind everyone, dynamite comes in those small packages, so don’t mess with us, did your grandma have a temper???_

4 Likes

Oh you are tiny - My grandmother was 4’11 and wore a kids size 5 shoe! So cute! I was taller - only person I was ever taller than.

My Theme Song

4 Likes

We were talking about the “switch” that D.O. used to fight with in :100: Days My Prince

My grandmother - MeMa - chased me once with a switch - you know those things HURT if they get you across your legs - but SHE NEVER CAUGHT ME!!! I loved her so much she would wash my really long long hair in the sink with vinegar! And make me Apple Dumplings! She was a GREAT cook! She spent a lot of time with me when I was little! Loved her to pieces.

Yes - I have to ask for help in the store ALL the time!!

3 Likes

OK My Boys ATEEZ - This song is so UPLIFTING - We have to have them come and help out today and give us a performance on the patio! I love this song! And their moves are more pop than super sexy here! Love It! :bird:

8 Makes One Team!!!

So my Groups I love - I’m not going to say STAN - I cannot handle it
2pm #1

Astro, Ateez, Infinite, Exo, Got7 (Jackson Wang solo), MonstaX (Wonho Solo), Henry (Solo)
TVXQ (Yunho solo) Bii, WooSung (The Rose) and Marcus Chang

Top 5 - My 2pm is there

Story time. I feel like every time I venture out into the big wide world, I end up with a story to tell :joy:

So while my two best friends who live near each other were having fun judging everybody at the Met Gala, I wondered how to spend my sad, lonely life (kidding! my life is very far from sad, especially when I have you all at Discussions :joy:). A younger friend called and asked if I could come cycling with her and I agreed. What I DIDN’T know was that I was called to be a third wheel. And a third wheel to kids who were two years younger than me :flushed:

If third-wheeling wasn’t enough, the sky suddenly decided to open up and punish me for not staying at home to watch Seventeen play games while wearing colorful Teletubby-looking jumpsuits. It just started POURING all of a sudden and we had to run for shelter. And what do my young friends decide to do to pass the time? Take wild hair selfies to post on social media and complain about their wet headphones. With me in the middle so it doesn’t look “inappropriate” Children these days. Sigh.

4 Likes

Aren’t you a CHILDREN!!! Hahahahahahaha! I would so love to see that photo! hahahahaha! You are nice to hang out! :laughing:

4 Likes

so I am trying something

2 Likes

Wow. My Alabama mother’s grandmother was 4’11." Seemingly harmless.
Yet, you know how it goes with grandmothers everywhere.

In South Korea, it may be the kimchi slap, but when Mrs. Howard (as she was always called) reached the end of her patience, she could cut the living dead with a stare and cut the dead even deader.

Yet she was much loved, and my mother was named after her.

3 Likes

yes the stares are outstanding!!!

1 Like

My pc died so I ha e tobuya new computer. I’m using .y tablet in the mea time so forgive any errors.
I haven’t heard thesong Short People inyears. I remember itwas a big hit, but controversy since thelyrics are mean toshort people.
Question for the Cafe
Why are so many of the idols also actors and actresses? We do not see this where I live.Usually singers justdo music andactors just do acting. But I notice inK drama there is many times an idol in the cast. This is often criticized so I wonder why there is tbis practice in South Korea.

3 Likes

My Experience - I did not even listen to Kpop. I watched Wok of Love - Junho - As an Actor - I thought he was phenomenal so I started trying to find out more. Turns out he is a singer dancer rapper songwriter and in 2pm - made me come to Kpop and love his artistry. He realizes that as an Idol you are not always an Idol. He also got injured pretty badly when they were doing stunts and knew he needed another outlet - I respect these IDOLS like Junho and D.O. and Kim Myung Soo “L” and others who are so TALENTED! I even have a collection called “I Am Not Just AN Idol Actor”

2 Likes

I’m short - I think its hilarious!

1 Like

I don’t know where you are, but here in the US, we have our share of people who are both singers and actors (we don’t exactly call them idols). A lot of them come through the Disney machine such as Selina Gomez or Miley Cyrus (both of whom did both but seem to have stuck mostly with singing as their careers went on).

I’m like @kdrama2020ali, I met a lot of these idol actors through their acting first before ever knowing they were also popular in the Kpop world. I am amazed at the overall talents of so many of them.

As for the SK entertainment industry, it is just one big machine, and it seems they will go down every avenue possible to keep their talents in the spotlight for as long as possible.

5 Likes

Anyone else when you watch these dramas sometimes think Seoul must be like the most romantic place on the planet (I know that is not true) but someone is always singing and gazing and beautiful in these dramas against a gorgeous skyline- it just gives off that vibe! hahahahahahaha!

Hopeless! In Fantasyland!

2 Likes

KAI IS GOING TO START A YOUTUBE CHANNEL!! :partying_face::partying_face:
This is Jongin, not Kai, btw

I love the way he interacts with the people behind the camera. He’s sooooo adorable and handsome here… And I’ll jump to take any EXO content!! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: I love watching them do what they like doing.
2 Likes

Just Found “My Name”
and Kang In Soo

Viki

They have not done much - but he is a cutie pie!

1 Like

I think part of the reason there is a big crossover between actors and singers is because Korea is a small country with a small population and a huge demand for entertainment as an escape from lives that seem to be constantly driven by a perceived need to do more, be better, think faster, work harder.

Koreans (IMHO) seem very demanding when it comes to wanting to be entertained at the end of a hard day. I mean, that theme is even baked in to a lot of K-dramas.

But at any one time, there is a limited pool of skilled entertainers, so whoever is capable of providing quality of work is expected to display a lot of talents in a lot of different roles.

Another reason there is such a crossover seems to be that Korean entertainers learn their craft in the way American entertainers learned back in the early days of the American movie and TV industry.

Everybody could (in some fashion) sing, dance, act. Everybody was expected to dress well, speak well, and otherwise reflect the best qualities of American culture. I’m guessing this was because the roots of the American movie and TV industry are in the theater and in opera, especially in big cities such as New York and Chicago.

Back in the day, the great actors and actresses of Broadway were the equivalent of American royalty, and opening night for any play or opera was always a show of status and class. I mean, even now, in order to get front row seats or box seats, tickets for big professional productions are out of reach for many average people.

So, people who pay a lot of money are going to want a lot for their money.

But it seems to me that, in Korea, the “Western style” movies, TV shows, concerts, and theatrical productions that are so popular are also rooted in thousands of years of Asian concepts of entertainment.

One big influence on Korean culture has always been Chinese culture. Saeguks make that obvious.

Chinese opera is a very traditional, very stylized form of entertainment. Costumes, make-up, characters, stories, singing . . . they must all be done in a very precise way, and everything must be very elegant and attention-getting because attending a Chines opera is an all-day affair.

Chines operas last for hours. Whole families come. Neighbors visit.
Vendors sell food.

I learned about Chinese opera from a friend who is ethnic Chinese but grew up in Vietnam. Her dialect is called Teochew (or Chaozhou) and is spoken in eastern Guangdong (Canton) and southern Fujian provinces.

Here is an example of Teochew opera. It is pretty interesting to say the least.

Fast forward to modern times, and I think there is still an expectation in the Asian entertainment industry generally that people who make it as top entertainers are going to do everything well.

People who make constant negative comments about acting/singing crossovers are usually not, as far as I can tell, Asian fans of Viki or any of the dramas that go up on Viki. When I look at timed comments on Viki, they always seem to be from Americans. At least the tone and type of comments I read seem to be from Americans.

And now, having checked in to the Segue Café during a bout of insomnia and spent too much time roaming the Internet in the wee hours, I will bid you adieu until later. Please forgive my nattering on and on. When my brain is tired and unfocused, it’s always hard to say where it will wander.

4 Likes

Most of these idol-actors were trained at arts universities and then trained specifically as kpop artists. These people are sometimes picked off the street but they have to go through rigorous training for a long time before they can get on stage. So they know how to be entertainers, not just singers. There’s always the risk of your group not doing very well. You won’t always be the young idol people go crazy over. I think actors get a lot more control over their private lives than idols do.

Not all go into acting. A lot of them move into producing or choreography. Singers who love singing as much as acting go into theatre musicals.

2 Likes

Sheesh, I haven’t been feeling well so I ignored this thread and I miss some great baristas and EXO talk, :frowning:
My youngest & I only found EXO after Kris, Luhan & Tao left, but she was still heartbroken that Luhan left Sehun. They were so cute together.

2 Likes

Have a lovely day today :smile:

2 Likes