Should We Kiss First Hard English Subs Notice

The various sub teams are no doubt aware of this, but casual viewers may not. Please be aware of the fact that Viki’s latest drama, Should We Kiss First, has been uploaded with hard English subtitles. Furthermore, because of copyright issues, translation in various other languages is most likely not allowed.
This may apply to other newly added dramas as well.

https://www.viki.com/tv/35793c-should-we-kiss-first

1 Like

You didn’t know? Many Kocowa dramas have been allowed to be shown here with the prerequisite that the Kocowa subs will be used, and no other languages. Because they don’t want the - usually better - viki subs, and the availability of more languages, be a competition with their own Kocowa website.

2 Likes

Hello,

Kocowa and Viki Pass Plus aren’t available in Europe, although Should We Kiss First is… Viki just dumps shows without informing anyone anything through official channels. There is zero communication with casual viewers who aren’t part of sub teams. Every time something like this happens, I find myself tempted to take up on your advice and find a different service. :pensive:

2 Likes

@adrianmorales @irmar

Forgive my ignorance, but is licensing and regional availability an agreement negotiated between Viki and the production company and is said company the owner of the rights of the drama/movie in question?

Are KBS, MBC, & SBS production companies and well as government television networks?

Thanks, I was just curious about this.

Yes and Yes.
What is it & where is it available?

KOCOWA is a streaming platform coming directly from the big 3 Korean broadcasters: KBS, SBS, and MBC.
KOCOWA is running its own platform with its own subscription options that include a standard monthly plan for $5.99 and a yearly discounted plan for $69.99. So it does look like it would be slightly cheaper to get the Viki Pass Plus rather than Viki Pass Standard and KOCOWA separately.

I am copying from Wikipedia:

[QUOTE]Korean series were originally produced in house by the television channels themselves, but have been outsourced to independent production companies since the 2000s.
In 2012, as much as 75% of all K-dramas were produced this way. Competition is fierce among these companies; out of 156 registered firms, only 34 produced dramas were actually aired in 2012.
The budget of the production is shared between the producing company and the broadcaster, with the broadcasting channel covering around 50% of expenses usually. If top stars and famous scriptwriters are employed, they may cover even more. The rest of the budget has to be brought in by the production company with the help of sponsors.
In the case of product placements, income is shared by the producer and the channel. The channel keeps 100% of the advertisement income during airtime[/QUOTE]

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I saw already typos in the subs :wink: