Viki

So few J-drama on viki

I think that if we as a community ask for more content, Viki will look into ways to add more.
I’ve know of many dramas that were not here and after many people requested it they added the content.

Watch Green Door is really good

I would really like to see more Japanese dramas here too.

angelight, is it on Netflix? i do see so mny on Netflix. they do those animations too right? maybe this older lady would like to see some of those too.

JAPANESE on NET&&&X: The best animation like drama is FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST.

I love the GREEN DOOR (japanese version)
SMOKING (japanese)
YAE’S SAKURA (JAPAN WOMEN FIGHTER)

YOU WOULD THINK SINCE THE NEW CEO HERE IS FROM JAPAN, WE WOULD FINALLY SEE MORE JAPANESE DRAMAS HERE, BUT IS NOT HAPPENING SO FAR. I LOVE THE JAPANESE MYSTERY/HORROR DRAMA. THEY ARE GREAT AND GIVES US VARIETY OF THE MONOTONOUS ROMANTIC DRAMAS THAT HAVE THE SAME REPETITIVE SCENES IN THEM.

IF you live in US you will find the one’s I mentioned above. They also have great documentaries like A Power Crisis. Homeless in Japan

Try to watch Gabi: Russian Coffee (iS SIMILAR TO mR. SUNSHINE FROM sk). is a good one too.

PS. I BOUGHT A NEW LAPTOP AND I have to get used to it. lol

got the green door and a few others on Netflix. will start watching them.

Different people see things in different ways but I do not know how, objectively speaking, you can issue a blanket statement that “Japanese TV is pretty awful” based on the silliness factor in a few dramas. Yes, there is a lot of that in Japanese dramas - and in dramas from all over the world - but there are tons and tons of J-dramas that are dead-serious.

I think maybe your perception is skewed by the fact that romantic comedies tend to have much more of the silly content than other genres, but for whatever reason Viki is currently overloaded with rom-coms.

I’ve done my list of faves in the “What J-dramas do you want to watch” and “More in the future” threads, but to focus on just a few of the serious, silliness-free dramas I’ve seen:

• Edison no Haha (2008) - about a child prodigy and his single mother, struggling to protect him from the envious “educators” and parents who want to kick him out of school for being “too smart”;

• Life (2007) - I described this in detail on the other threads, but this is about brutal school bullying, basically “Like ‘Aliens’ but with scarier monsters,” with understated but stand-up-and-cheer heroes who triumph over their tormentors with perfect ethics;

• Voice (2009) - A dead-serious and intense drama about a group of forensic pathology students who solve mysteries using the evidence that they get from the dead that they examine in class;

• Yukemuri Sniper (2009) - A former hit man seeking to leave crime and rebuild his life goes to work at a rural onsen, where he ends up helping people find justice;

• Tantei no Tantei (2014) - Kitagawa Keiko’s spectacular portrayal of kick-butt detective Sasaki, who investigates corrupt detectives - just a cop show, but again dead-serious, a good theme of justice vs. scumbaggery, and with some excellently-choreographed fight scenes;

• Yasashii Jikan (2005) - An intense father-son estrangement melodrama that takes place in Furano and Biei on Hokkaido. It’s got a heavy-duty emotional vibe, a great story, unforgettable characters, and zero silliness;

• Joker Yurusarezaru Sosakan (2010) - Another unforgettable cop show, about a cop turned vigilante - an excellent and dead-serious meditation on the ethical questions implied by vigilantism, some incredible twists, and excellent acting of the lead role by Masato Sakai, whose inscrutable smile (masking deep secrets and conflicts,) reminds me of Gary Sinese;

• With Love (1998) - An oldie-but-goody about anonymous email communications, which aired in Japan ten months before the American movie “You’ve Got Mail,” which had a very similar story. No silliness, just a lot of brilliant music and a cool romance (though the leading lady was horribly miscast.)

• Ghost Writer (2015) - About a famous writer who’s stuck with writer’s block and allows her assistant to ghost-write her new novel; the assistant is actually a better writer, and fans start to ask questions about the strange change in writing style - which sets up some heavy tension and suspense. I had a problem with the ethical ambiguity that the writers of the series settled on in the closing episodes, but it’s an interesting look into Japanese publishing, and a good example of a totally serious drama;

• Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou (2013) - Gouriki Ayame plays an owner of an antique bookshop, who has an unusual Sherlock Holmes-like ability to unravel the deep secrets of books’ past owners, just by examining the books. Another all-time fave of mine, a serious drama but with a breezy feel to it, but no throwaway silliness.

I could give dozens of other examples, but this is a textwall already and I just wanted to make the point: For every comedy with goofball humor, there’s another ten with serious, heavy-duty food-for-thought plots and themes.

It just depends on what you choose to watch.

I watched “Good Morning Call” and “Mischievous Kiss” and liked both - at least the first seasons. I can’t remember if GMC had a second season, but I started “Mischievous Kiss 2” and the writers turned the Kotoko character - whose hilarious personality was what made season 1 work so well - into a clingy, dependent and creepy character who made the second season a depressing drag, so I just stopped watching midway through.

I got disgusted by Netflix doing remakes of original Japanese dramas and then calling them “Netflix Originals” (which is flatly fraudulent,) so I canceled Netflix a couple years ago and have never regretted it. Viki and Crunchyroll are both cheaper and have original Japanese dramas - though they both need to add more - and I don’t have to deal with the cheap, corrupt political soapbox that Netflix is turning itself into.

“Hana Kimi” (Hanazakari no Kimitachi e") and “Hana Yori Dango” are a couple other good light-hearted rom-coms that are worth watching - though IMO Viki is already top-heavy with romantic comedies.