So few J-drama on viki

Hello,

i wonder why are there so few movies/J-dramas on viki ?

9 Likes

I was asking myself the same thing. And not much anime either.

Even Japanese as a subtitling language is too often forbidden on Viki.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve also seen that there arenā€™t much J-dramaā€™s. I like to watch them, although I havenā€™t seen many yet. I liked the dramaā€™s ā€˜The hours of my lifeā€™ and ā€˜The girls speechā€™

@bozoli What do you mean Japaanese is forbidden as a subbing language on Viki? Isnā€™t it free for everyone to sub in the language they know?

2 Likes

In theory it should be. But, no, sometimes itā€™s forbidden to sub in Japanese. And sometimes the Japanese team starts translating, but then they get the word that they are no longer allowed to and that their subtitles are going to be removed.

And the ironic part is that Rakuten, the company that owns Viki, is Japanese.

5 Likes

Oh, I didnā€™t know that happened. Itā€™s really strange.

1 Like

iā€™m interested in the Taiga dramas (year-long historicals) but those have 50+ episodesā€¦ if they come on viki itā€™ll be a big task to complete the subs. DF actually has 2 taiga dramas as exclusives.

1 Like

I love Jdrama too, thatā€™s how I got into Kdrama. I saw quite a lot of them elsewhere. Would love to see more Jdrama on Viki. But I heard the license process for Japanese content is complicated. Not for Viki alone but in general Japan likes to keep things more for themselves so getting a license is hard and most likely when they are willing to give a license they ask a lot of money and come with a set of rules which might not work out. As for limited Japanese subs, I have a channel where eventually the Japanese subs where locked because the content owner did request it.

I had hoped that now Viki is Rakutenā€™s (which is a Japanese company) it would lead to more Jdrama on Viki but I guess not :frowning:

5 Likes

I have been wondering whyā€¦
I actually sent Viki many license request forms for Japanese drama, but even fan channels where never createdā€¦

3 Likes

Itā€™s true that the quantity of J-drama has shockingly plummeted in the past couple of years. As in ā€¦ zero.

2015:

• Taiwan: 29 shows, of which 3 variety.
  • China: 41 dramas
  • Japan: 15 dramas
  • Korea: 85 shows (of which 7 variety) and 3 or 4 films

2016:

• Taiwan: 16 dramas,
  • China: 43 dramas
  • Japan: none (only 1 fan channel which was never licensed)
  • Korea: 80 shows (of which 3 or 4 variety) and 3 films

2017 (so far):

• Taiwan: 3 dramas
  • China: 14 dramas
  • **Japan:**none
  • Korea: 22 dramas so far, of which 7 on air and 2 coming soon plus 1 film and of course a number of fan channels awaiting license.

Dudieā€™s post explains why.

1 Like

really interesting!

I think this is unfair!
Iā€™d like to watch so many other Japanese dramas!
I speak English, Japanese and native Portuguese, I vonlunteer as subtitler on Viki and would like to help subtitling J-dramas, but for now I donā€™t think it will happenā€¦

2 Likes

Hi guys,
I joined viki for J-dramas so itā€™s really sad to see there are only such few there.
But one can suggest different TV shows to viki!
There is a section where you can send requests, so maybe if a lot of people send requests, theyā€™ll add more!!
(You will have to request a specific show tho, you cannot just request more J-dramasā€¦ :frowning:)

3 Likes

Yes while i enjoy k-dramas very much i really enjoy j-dramas the most and i am quite disappointed in Viki and if Japan itself is responsible for the lack of access to j-dramas i am very disappointed in them it seems strange that a nation who manga and anime is so widely distributed would be so stingy with their wonderful dramas, come on Viki get with it and work on getting more J-dramas on to your service!!!

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say that they like keeping things to themselves, itā€™s just that for Japan, streaming dramas isnā€™t as common. Iā€™ve seen a few great ones on Netflix Japan (Good Morning Call) or Amazon Prime Japan (Kyoto Love Story), but these were lower budget dramas with lesser known actors/actresses (or the canā€™t or donā€™t demand a high pay) -donā€™t let that deter you from watching them, theyā€™re high quality dramas with laser known actors is all. In Japan where buying the DVD sets are more of a norm, having thousands of people stream their content is more of a loss than a plus for them. Theyā€™d hardly be making anything.

did you receive the viki notice that they are adding Nov. 1st, 4 Japanese contents and itā€™s licensedā€¦ Iā€™m sure Jap/Eng subbers will be needed :wink:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s unfortunate. Japanese TV is pretty awful to say the least. I would have preferred more Chinese shorts shows or even Thai shows. Japan is bottom tier quality - down there with Hong Kong.

Hopefully the shows being licensed are good ones or ones that I enjoy. Generally Japanese stuff is too heavily based on anime and silly to the point where itā€™s annoying and no longer funny. Even the serious dramas are filled with ridiculous and silly stuff.

People, checkout the Nov 1st coming new Japanese content, they will need Jap-Eng subbers:
https://discussions.viki.com/t/announcement-new-japanese-shows-dramas-sub-a-thon-info/17553?u=simi11

2 Likes

Itā€™s truly unfortunate that you see it that way, as a lot of dramas are quite the masterpiece. Viki doesnā€™t typically seem to get the license for popular dramas in Japan. If weā€™re talking about something thats too unrealistic and would only happen out of manga etc. there are a lot of Chinese, Thai, and Korean dramas like that -ones that also happen to be very popular. (When you were sleeping, W, Coffee Prince, My girlfriend is a Gumiho, Scarlet Heart, Scarlet Heart Ryeo, U-Prince //practically every Thai dramaā€¦and this is coming from a half thai person. The storylines are generally recycled with one person being rich, one bring poor, an evil underhanded female rival, the caring parents, etc etc.) Still I find dramas from everywhere, except for China and Hong Kong usually just because they do a lot of fantasy genre dramas, and Iā€™m not a fan of those, enjoyable.

If I may, I have some Japanese dramas that Iā€™d like to recommend to you!

Love That Makes You Cry, Koinaka, Pretty Proofreader, H2(which is based off a manga, but itā€™s realistic), Orange, Code Blue (all seasons), Tokyo Tarareba Girls, Pride, Ace wo Nerae (the live action drama), Tokyo bandwagon, Nobuta wo Produce, Ryuusei No Kizuna, Taiyou no Uta.

Some of them yes, but there are quite a few good ones too.
ā€œSecond to Last Loveā€
Love Affairs in the Afternoon
Jin, and
Ghostwriter.

The thing I donā€™t like is that they have a tendency to end very badly, with someone getting a terminal illness and dying.

I think as a whole, the Japanese entertainment market isnā€™t great at or willing to export its products. Just look at Japanese music videos on Youtube. There are very few or they are shortened versions.

I just happened to read an article about Japanā€™s ā€œCool Japanā€ initiative. Itā€™s a campaign with the purpose of spreading Japanese culture. Apparently, itā€™s been reported as a complete flop and waste of tax payer money. They invested in expensive department stores in foreign countries. I think they can stand to learn from South Koreaā€™s open-policy in regards to media exports. I do miss the Hana Yori Dango days.

1 Like