Spam in comments

Yeah the best thing you can do is report it and delete the message, do not respond to it.

Maybe someone already mentioned it here? http://discussions.viki.com/t/received-a-pm-from-a-spammer-let-us-know/1388/70

And if you really think someone got into your account you did the right thing too by changing things.

Don’t worry too much. Many people received spam messages recently (see: the discussion page that dudie mentioned). I received one as well. I assume Viki will try to solve it.

I got a reply from Viki after a month, so don’t worry if you don’t get a reply immediately. They’ll reply eventually.

I’d advise you to have a look at this discussion post and see if someone else received the same message as you. I have no idea how spammers ‘‘choose’’ the people they send messages to, or why they even try to send these messages on Viki, a site that’s clearly not created for dating purposes, but I guess the chance that you’ll receive another spam message isn’t that big, so don’t worry :slight_smile:

QCs should get mod status for the comment section. Maybe that would help clean up quickly. The spam comments are eyesores.

The comment section is a “product” of -disqus- not viki.
And every non-QC has the possibility to flag it, and should use it.

I don’t know what the criteria for flagging is for removal/hidden (how many different IPs required). Viki upkeeps the comment section even if it is a product of disqus. For example, any profanity requires viki approval before the post is live. Either QCs or the moderators of the channel should get comment mod status and that would solve some of the problem. If viki can’t do this directly they can discuss with disqus.

As far as I know many people have asked Viki if mod’s could get the power to moderate comments in the comment sections of channels they work on. Mod’s where able to do that in the old Viki but since the restyle that is gone. No idea if Viki ever gives mod that power back.

Is anyone having issues with spammy comments lately?
I feel like in the past few weeks, so many of my comments have been getting spam replies, talking about making money or whatever
 :pensive:

I report them to disqus, but that doesn’t really do anything for the “now.” I don’t really know what else to do other than flag them, but one flag will hardly make them go away. And Viki seems super slow dealing with it.

I once collected names and direct links to the comments and send them to Viki. You can get the direct links by clicking on the time it’s posted.

Couldn’t get that to work for some reason on mine. I have been receiving those for a while now. The problem is like everywhere else, the right person being asked that is lonely or gullible could get taken advantage of. This isn’t a dating site nor a site to push your work at home ventures etc, and though most of us are adults here, there are a lot of minors that could be taken advantage of. Would love to see VIKI do as much as they could to get this taken care of.

Believe me or not I even reported it on Disqus, but I see that troublemaker again
 someone isn’t doing their homework