Spam in comments

So… is it just me or are there a lot of comments on videos containing spam messages lately?
I’ve tried flagging the comments, but I’m not sure if that works well.
And I’m not sure if it’s such a big problem, but I was wondering what other people think of this so… yeah…
Does anyone know what the best way is to deal with comments like that?

1 Like

When I see that someone is only posting spam messages in comment sections I report it to the help center. But lately I don’t see a lot of those.

Oh… I see these a lot:

But they’re all written by guests…

I have been seeing this too. An eyesore. Think they can’t do much as it’s posed by a guest.

As far as I know you cannot post as guest here but when a user deletes a post it becomes a guest. Not sure though. I would still report it to the help center with links to the post. click on the time it was posted to get a link to that post.

Yeah, true. So if someone sees a post like that before it is ‘deleted’, the person who posted it, will be known.
Now this may sound like a stupid question, but how can I report something to the help center? I mean, I know where the help center is, but I thought there were only answers to common questions…

Yes… although the people who post these comments might be the same people as the people who like these comments and, if the comment is a reply, the comment above.

The comment above? lets not get ahead of ourselves here. You’re extrapolating too far to be reasonable as there are bots that auto reply to the most up voted comments in order to maximise target numbers.

Pretty well hidden link, considering what it’s supposed to be for.
http://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I guess you would use the “general issues” category?

Oh sorry, that’s not what I meant. But I mean that the comment to which the spam comment was a reply is liked by the same person as the person who liked the spam comment all the time :confused: And those people liked several spam comments. I’m not trying to say that the spam comments are definitely written by the one who likes the comment too but it’s possible… maybe.

Oh, thank you!

You can see on the dates, when the request was written and the answer I got it took quite some time. I am used to it, since unfortunately this is the standard for now. Maybe in future it will improve. Anyway, the problem is known. You can read about the meaning of “Guest”.

Hope this will help you understand it better. Viki is not the “first” instance for the comments but Disqus, whenever there is another party involve things tend to be solved a little less quickly.

For your information, this is the communication I had with Viki about this phenomenon (I replaced the name of the POC with “Viki”

===========================================

Request #129962
  advertising in comments as "guest"    

lutra February 26, 2015 18:35
Hi there!
There is at least one “guest” advertising some kind of “job”.
I flagged the comment, but still wanted to inform you, since maybe a new “spam wave” is in sight.
Greetings
lutra

lutra
March 29, 2015 21:55 adding this to my last message
http://www.viki.com/videos/1060863v-rosy-lovers-episode-48
in the comment section was a comment and all around other channels as you can see in the screencast

**Viki-answer - March 31, 2015 02:21

Hello lutra,
Thank you for writing to the Community Support Team at Viki! I sincerely apologize for the delayed response.
I’m sorry to read that you’ve been having these issues with Viki. If
you’re still experiencing these issues, please let me know, and I’d be
glad to look into it for you.
Cheers,
Viki**

*lutra April 03, 2015 10:21

Hi!
I seriously start to wonder, how Viki is handling “request”. If you
try to decrease the number of request by disgruntle people writing about
obvious events, even adding screen shots, who it seems are not even
looked at.
Then congratulation, you prevailed.
This is how you can crush a community, but I guess Viki is only
interested in high-output subbers and segmenters by now, and at the end
it’s the viewer who will make or break* the company.
(the only edit I made, there was a typo)
You earnestly ask me if the “problem” is still valid?
I earnestly ask you did you even read my request, or did you just
send a standard reply to sort out those, who are still interested in an
answer?
Even if you do not look at the screen shots, you can see those comments beneath current drama videos.
So do whatever you want with this information, I won’t care for
anything of that kind of happening again. It is Viki’s duty to safeguard
their site, it’s not mine.
And be reassured in future I will only contact you about technical
problems, that you aren’t working on, or seem not aware of and last more
than 3 days.
Sorry for my late reply.
Have a good day
lutra

**Viki April 04, 2015 02:00

Hello lutra,
I apologize for the mixup! Since your first request took so long to
be addressed, and the number of help requests continue to increase, your
inquiry was addressed by asking if you continued experiencing the same
issue after the time passed instead.
To answer your question, when a comment appears as Guest, it means
that it was already deleted by the same user. The problem is
specifically coming from the provider Disqus, and there is currently an**
open discussion with this provider to solve this problem across the
board. Spam is a real problem and we appreciate your help in trying to
maintain a Spam free community.
I apologize for this once again! If you have any other questions or
concerns, please let me know and I’ll be happy to answer them for you.
Best,
Viki

Let’s not give up hope of a spam free future :wink:

1 Like

today was my 3rd or 4th encounter of Spam in comments. I flagged the previous ones, and today I reported it cause it was a reply to my comment. Although the Guest wanted to remain incognito disqus says the name that replied to my comment, it’s the only one reply. Here a screenshot btw that AmyWGuerrero keeps her disqus comments hidden (private) while the comments appear on viki public…

Any idea what Viki does when they know the username of someone posting spam comments?

Good to know the person is caught and there is a name now. No idea what Viki can do with a name but
If you report it, put a link to her/her profile in it. No idea if Viki can search on names.

You mean in personal messages on Viki?
Maybe you can send a message to the help center: http://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

What do I do? This is bothering me, the first message was received from a person named “Tinababy” and she said she loved me, I did not post anything associated with her statements. Then another person named Miss Adeline or Adline said the same thing as Tinababy, please help, I am already uncomfortable and I am about to cancel my membership and premium service.

Hello, don’t worry, and send a message about that to the help center or to the staff maybe.

I did, but they have not responded. I take those kind of spam messages really seriously.

Right now I am afraid my account was acquired by someone else, and that is why I am receiving weird messages and spam. I already changed my password, email, and username.