Suggestions for K-Dramas to watch with my mom

Hello everyone! Thanks to me, my mom is now officially a K-Drama fan, even though she’s 76, Italian and and can’t read subs very well. :blush:

So far, I showed her K-Dramas that I did already watch and knew she might like, but we reached a point where we “need” to start new ones.

She literally loved:

Fated to love you
It’s okay that’s love
Marriage, Not Dating
The legend of the blue sea
What’s wrong with Secretary Kim

However, she found Descendants of the sun boring (she couldn’t reach episode #4) and I know that shows like Goblin, for instance, would never grab her interest (the plot is a little bit too convoluted for her).

That’s why I’m asking for some advice, which will be very much appreciated.
Drama and funny ones are ok, even a bit thriller but not too much. No idea if she could like historical dramas; supernaturals are fine if not too complicated (again, she liked Legend of the blue sea which, of course, was far from being realistic).
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hello try,

While you were Sleeping
Doctors
Personal taste

I hope you and your mother enjoy it.

1 Like

You could try Master’s Sun or Coffee Prince. That’s the same actor as Goblin but more comedy than melodrama.

2 Likes

This might be something?!

https://www.viki.com/tv/11915c-masters-sun

https://www.viki.com/tv/30700c-ms-temper-nam-jung-gi

https://www.viki.com/tv/3246c-the-greatest-love

https://www.viki.com/tv/20014c-two-weeks

https://www.viki.com/tv/1058c-the-great-doctor

Some channels might be restricted for your region …

1 Like

Hi booksandcleverness_s! I’m italian too but i’ll write in english so if someone needs an advice can read my post :heart::slight_smile: Try these kdramas:
-Strong woman Do Bong Soon
-Secret garden
-She was pretty
-Oh my venus
-Lucky romance
-Personal taste
-Coffe prince

If you want,let your mother try also some jdramas like
-My Little Lover - Minami Kun no Koibito
-Kimi wa petto
or some taiwanese dramas like
-Memory Love
-Love at seventeen

I hope your mother will enjoy one of the dramas that I wrote ^-^ Oh and…ora sei ufficialmente una fan dei k-drama quindi benvenutaa :heart_eyes::joy::heart:

2 Likes

my mom loved gu family book, strong woman, What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim, Sungkyunkwan Scandal and many others… xD

4 Likes

Wow! So many good suggestions, thank you to all of you!
Little update: we tried Strong Woman Do Bong Soon and Secret Garden. She wasn’t convinced, so we dropped them both.
Master’s Sun scares her, so we gave up on it, too.
By now, I guess she likes series where everything is set up in the first couple of episodes.
I didn’t know she was so hard to please! :joy:

My Girlfriend is a Gumiho.
In Korean mythology, a gumiho is a legendary nine-tailed fox that is regarded as a monster because it eats human livers in order to become a real human being. Cha Dae Woong (Lee Seung Gi), a cowardly, aimless young man who aspires to become an action movie star, accidentally releases the legendary gumiho that was sealed inside a painting for more than 500 years. Terrified by what he has unwittingly done, Dae Woong flees, only to suffer a life-threatening fall. The gumiho, who takes the form of a beautiful woman, is grateful to Dae Woong for releasing her from her eternal prison, so she gives him her “fox bead,” which gives him life as long as he keeps it in his body. He is then forced to stay with her and help fuel her life by finding plenty of red meat for her to devour.
Mi Ho then meets Park Dong Ju (No Min Woo), a half-human, half-supernatural being who has been living the life of a normal veterinarian among humans for hundreds of years. When she expresses her desire to become a real human, Dong Ju tells her how she can do it: she must enter into a love contract with a human but he should remain chaste while she keeps her fox bead inside of him for 100 days. As “Mi Ho” and Dae Woong pretend to be a couple to the humans around them, the two eventually fall in love.

I really loved that one, it is almost perfect. And I still hum “Dubi dubi du raffa… dubi dubi du raffa” every now and then. It’s one of the songs you never forget.

Go back couple
Choi Ban Do and Ma Jin Joo are both 38-years-old and a married couple. Choi Ban Do has been burdened with being the breadwinner and Ma Jin Joo is a housewife with low self-esteem. Even though they loved each other when they married, they are now going to get divorced. Getting married at a young age of 24 made them almost bite each other’s heads off. They both regret marrying at such a young age. The couple travel through time and find themselves as 20-year-old university students, when they met for the first time. They are given a chance to relieve those regrettable moments. Would they be able to choose a different life after all? Very well made, and surprisingly well-acted by two people who are not A-rated stars but give solid, convincing performances.

Love Rain
While in college in the 1970s, Seo In Ha (Jang Geun Seok) falls in love with the sweet Kim Yoon Hee (Yoona). But destiny stepped in and separated them, and both moved on with their lives. Forty years later, In Ha’s son meets and falls in love with Yoon Hee’s daughter. Can the young couple finish what their parents started or will fate step in again to separate two generations of lovers?
I really liked a lot the first episodes with the sweet love story of the parents. They provide a glimpse of Korea in a period when none of us knew about it, and is not often depicted in dramas. You’ll cry a lot in this drama, but it’s good tears. Turn off the timed comments they will make you angry. Great OST! Pity for the disappointing ending It was so easy for everybody to be happy.
Jewel in the Palace a.k.a. Dae Jang Geum
One of the very best dramas I’ve watched, a timeless classic adored by all generations!
Chief Kim
Witty and well-acted. The two male leads (Namgoong Min and Yunho) are both delightful.
Discovery of Love.
The progression in understanding of the main character is extremely well-written and Eric Nam is very good here.
Faith (The Great Doctor)
After King Gongmin of Goryeo marries the Yuan princess Noguk, they return to Goryeo. On the way they are attacked and the queen is fatally injured. According to the advice of his royal advisor, the king orders royal bodyguard Choi Young to pass through a mystical portal (“heaven’s gate”) and find the “heaven’s doctor”. Choi Young travels to the future and brings back Yoo Eun-soo, a modern-day doctor from Seoul, who saves the queen’s life. He makes a promise that he will return her to her world, but the scheming royal advisor persuades King Gongmin to force Eun-soo to stay as she can be useful to him.
As Eun-soo accustoms herself to her new surroundings, gradually she and Choi Young fall in love with each other. But problems arise as others become fascinated with her as the “Heaven’s doctor”, and Eun-soo becomes a pawn in the political power plays between King Gongmin, the Yuan overlords, the sociopathic nobleman Ki-chul and Prince Deok-seung, King Gongmin’s uncle.
One of my favourites. Not perfect by far, but it stays vividly in my mind, scene by scene.

Madame Antoine
Nice story, nice couple, fun moments, and most of all a lovely, intelligent heroine who doesn’t suddently become dumb when in love!

Five Children
One of my very favourite family dramas. Excellent. It has everything: humour, romance, social commentary and very strong, well-written characters. 50 eps or so, but they will pass by so quickly that you will wish there were more.

My Wife Is Having an Affair This Week
Do Hyun-woo (Lee Sun-kyun), a 10-year veteran producer, believes that his wife (Song Ji-hyo) is having an affair. They have been married for eight years in what he believed was a strong relationship, until he catches on to a sign that his wife is on the verge of cheating. This pushes him to talk with anonymous people on online social networks to figure out what to do and try to save his marriage. Amazing acting by my sweet Lee Sun Kyun. And, cherry on the cake, Lee Sang-yeob in a very sweet role.

Queen In Hyun’s Man (2012) If you show her only one historical, let it be this one. It is perfect in every way, doesn’t drag and ends in the most satisfactory manner. The chemistry of the main couple is over the roof (they fell in love while filming the series and started dating soon after).

Romantic Doctor, Master Kim (2016)
What could prompt a famous surgeon nicknamed the “Hand of God” to give it all up? Boo Yong Joo (Han Suk Kyu) was once a famous surgeon at the peak of his career at a major hospital. But he suddenly gives it all up one day to live in seclusion and work as a neighborhood doctor in a small town. He now goes by “Teacher Kim” and refers to himself as the “Romantic Doctor.”
Kang Dong Joo (Yoo Yeon Seok) became a doctor to make something of himself after growing up poor, and he seeks out VIP patients to achieve the success that he desperately wants.
Yoon Seo Jung (Seo Hyun Jin) is a passionate young surgeon who is haunted by what she thinks was a terrible mistake from her past and tries to get over it.
When Dong Joo and Seo Jung meet the quirky Teacher Kim, their lives and careers will never be the same again.
The one flaw of this series is that the surgery scenes are too graphic, I had to watch most of them with the page scrolled down. Other than that, easily one of the best dramas of the year, so if your mom can bear with it or skip it or scroll down as I did, she will enjoy it a lot. Perfect from beginning to end, the characters fully developed, the relationships too, and a very strong message presented in a forceful but not forced way. You wanted to sit up and cheer.
The actors were all very good. Starting of course with Kim Sabu, the head nurse and the cute romantic couple.

1 Like

Irene, as usual, you’re amazing! Thanks!!

1 Like

Sorry, I do not understand!

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)???

Did i do something wrong? Or did not you like the suggestions?

You can watch:
HOTEL DEL LUNA
The Wolf Princess
Rattan/ Si Teng
General’s Lady

You may check this list of dramas I found :slight_smile: