Thai BL series

Well here is one for you, I wanted watch it but because of the BL I dropped it… since it doesn’t interest me…

2 Likes

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Even on Ntflx, it seems like they have done a big purge of a lot of their Thai content, especially that of the male/female variety. I have a decent list of such dramas that I watched on that platform in the last couple years, but almost all of them have since been removed. If, as a couple other posters have stated, many Thai broadcasters offer their content free at other places, this may be why subscription-based streaming sites aren’t obtaining rights for them. Why pay licensing fees if viewers can find the stuff for free elsewhere?

Hi I am new to the discussions My name is Angelique I live in Amarillo tx. My nickname is Neko and I am African, Central Asian and West European. I LOVE BL drama , anime , and manga. I rarely American Television. GMM, Line Tv, are all my favorites. and I especially love Thai BL Series. One of my favorites is TharnType and TharnType 7 Years of Love on Viki:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Do you think Viki will pick up The KinnPorsche BL series ijjNUVkgMq2K3V5k2FghkLXCzgo

5 Likes

maybe later, but for now it will be on another plattform (iqiyi)

2 Likes

@angiekmartin1968_456, I know from the title of this topic it looks like the BL chat, but it was just a question, I’ve linked the topic you’re probably wanting below.
Welcome to Viki discussions. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Because even if they are on youtube it’s mostly the die-hard fans that know about it. If they can get on a platform like netflix or viki the casual wivers will also be able to find it. That’s why I’m SOO happy viki is getting more Bls. Because it means getting a bigger audience, getting a bigger audience means it attracts more sponsors, more sponsors, means more money, more money means more series with even better quality…

And one more thing, viki is usually good at getting the DVD edition and stuff like that like tharn type which had extra scenes that international fans didn’t get to see before. Or like world of honor with the extra ending.

4 Likes

There use to be a larger amount of Thai lakorns on Viki in the past. Back when Viki was more lenient on licenses. Nowadays, subbed Thai lakorns (other than bl) are available from several private subbing groups. They release them on their own site.

Here are some bl series with subs. [via youtube]
SUBBED BL SERIES

Will add more if there’s any interest. (If I can find more) :wink:

2 Likes

Um, actually no. Netflix just has a selected few…

Best place is Dramacool. It has tons of BLs that is rly hard to find subbed most of the times and it’s all for free and is also available for download. So if u really want to expand your view, you should visit the site!

3 Likes

You should check out GMMTV and Studio Wabi Sabi on youtube

2 Likes

dramacool is not legal…

2 Likes

Agreed, best is to go to the studios’ YouTube channel to officially support them. But sometimes there are some stuff we just can’t find for free or sometimes the subbing is not done correctly. Dramacool comes handy during those times.

1 Like

Unfortunately LineTV - Left US! I am so upset - I still have not gotten over it! LINETV was a great place to go to BL

2 Likes

Me neither I didn’t realize how many I watched on Line but according to MDL it’s my second most watched platform (Viki is probably first even though it says NF)

3 Likes

I also had Netflix as a top watch - No it’s VIKI

2 Likes

The best Thai BLs ik is, TharnType, You’re My Sky, and I have That’s My Candy in my watchlist.
They’re all on viki, if that part wasn’t obvious…

3 Likes

Don’t Say NO

OK so my original comment was that they are flooding the market with Thai BL series and Tharn Type was rubbish,

I think Viki does not have many Thai Male/Female Romance Dramas for 2 reasons:

#1- Difficult/Expensive to get the Rights for Thai dramas. Many of the mainstream content providers for Thai Television programs make it difficult to get international rights for their dramas. These are the networks that broadcast the majority of Male/Female Romance dramas like-Channel 3, Channel 7, TrueVisions. I’m not sure why, because it means more $$ for them, but this is what I have heard. Namely, that contracts can be difficult to negotiate. The situation seems to be similar to that of Japan where it is also notoriously difficult to get international rights for dramas.

That being said, I believe things are slowly changing in the Thai dramas area. When dimsum.my proved there was a market for Thai content overseas in Malaysia (and then to Singapore, Brunei) over the past 4 years or so, more Thai content becoming available internationally on streaming services like NF, VIU, WeTV. However, most of the liscensing is region restricted to the immediate areas around Thailand-places like Malaysia, Singapore. And very, very slowly some of the Thai networks are putting English subtitles on a few of their series on the YT Channels. GMMTV has been an early adopter of subbing their shows in English on their YT channel and also they were the 1st network to make a deal with NF, which is why NF has so much of GMMTV content. Outside of GMMTV, the other networks are not subbing their shows-maybe 1% of content total. And GMMTV only really subbing the youth content. Dramas broadcast on their main channel One31- again only 1% available with Eng subs on the YT channel. It’s baby steps but hopefully the Thai television industry will come to make it more easy in future to negotiate international rights contracts for countries outside the immediate areas and also get wise to subbing their content on their own YT channels. There is a market for Thai content.

The second part of the equasion is cost. International rights for Thai dramas are very expensive which is the other reason you don’t find much of the Thai content. For sure TrueVisions came under fire in the past for having high cost to liscense their dramas. Hopefully this will change in future and maybe Thai content providers will not charge so high prices or be willing to negotiate a little more.

For Viki, this combo of expensive + difficult to get liscensing = not many Male/Female Romance Thai dramas available.

#2 Thai Male/Female Romance dramas not as popular as other countries here at Viki. For Male/Female romance #1 is South Korea, so Viki going to focus on there with getting liscenses. Then it’s China and Taiwan. What is popular? Thai BL dramas. The BL genre dramas are hot-consistently getting in the Top 10 Lists. Viki makes $$ with BL Genre as people will become subscriber to watch them. Viki gets lots of requests for BL Genre dramas, and Thailand is one of the largest producers of BL dramas. So Viki concentrate on getting Thai BL dramas over Male/Female dramas. BL dramas are somewhat easier to get the rights since most are independent companies rather than major networks (although that is changing-mainstream networks just now entering the BL market) and the cost is lower compared to mainstream dramas.

So, I feel this is why we do not see more of the Male/Female Romance dramas at Viki.

How to change this? Show Viki that we viewers want to see the Thai content. More people need to request the Thai Male/Female Romance dramas and viewers need to watch the Thai Male/Female dramas that are here at Viki. Then Viki might allocate more of the budget for the Male/Female Thai dramas. I think Viki is willing to get more Thai content if it can. I was happy to see 2 Thai Male/Female romance dramas in the “Coming Soon” section. Voice in the Rain and My Bubble Tea. Both are VIU Originals so it looks like Viki was able to make a deal with VIU. If people watch those dramas and continue to request Thai dramas showing Viki that there is an interest in Thai Male/Female content then hopefully we will be able to see more of the Thai dramas at Viki.

1 Like