The English language lacks

all these language mix-ups are so hilarious! I was watching a Chinese drama recently and whenever they say ‘let’s go!’ (zhou ba?) I hear it as the Marathi word for let’s go (idk how to romanize it but it sounds like tsalla) I was so shocked to hear them say that :sweat_smile::joy:

4 Likes

Btw, “oma” is also the Finnish word for “(one’s) own”:

Minun oma kirjani = My own book

3 Likes

In Korean, 네 means yes, agreement and can be used as conversation filler. But in Croatian ne means no so the first time I’ve watched a Korean drama (mid 2017.) I heard an actress saying 네 on a phone and shaking her head yes so I was pretty confused :joy::joy:

4 Likes

You clearly heard her ne? I had a tough time with Korean n and m. I had always heard de instead of ne. Even though, I can hear and comprehend Korean now, I still have to figure out whether it was de or ne. And most of the time, I always heard bo instead of mwo? I no more have the same problem with m but I laugh everytime when I remember I used to say bo to my mom as a kid.

2 Likes

they do say it like de… in a lot of words with ‘n’ it sounds like ‘d’. After I learnt how to read Korean I realized there were lots of words which were spelt differently from what I heard :sweat_smile: I heard ‘mianhe (sorry)’ as ‘bianhe’ so that ‘m’ and ‘b’ sounds are also sometimes interchanged… when the sound ‘s’ comes at the end of a word, they pronounce it ‘th’ (something about ending the word without lifting the tongue or something idk how to explain that) so what we hear as ‘seth(3)’ is actually spelt as ‘ses:sweat_smile:
My Hangul spelling used to be sooooo bad at one point of time :joy:

It means “no” in Bulgarian too and in Japanese it’s “…, right?, … isn’t it?”

@twinkling I think we all have that problem! :rofl:

Funny enough this guy does sound like saying “ne” to me:

Not th, but just t.

1 Like

Yeah, I spent a few minutes wondering how to romanize it :sweat_smile: thanks!!

1 Like

I thought you meant it sounded like the English th! :joy:

1 Like

no i was thinking of how we romanize the ‘th’ sound in Hindi and so used it in Korean :sweat_smile: eeeee romanization confusion! :grimacing::exploding_head:

1 Like

Ah, so the Hindi th sounds like t?

yeah…I should have thought about this more :joy:

1 Like

It has the same sound in Dutch. :slight_smile:

thee (pronounce: tay) = tea

1 Like

That’s a difficult question.
There are two ‘th’ in in Hindi. And then two ‘t’ as well. Then again, two ‘dh’ and two ‘d’.
The thing is, in everyday language, all of them are romanized interchangeably.
Now, the funny thing is, I saw this in a YT video and I searched for the video but I couldn’t find it, so I’ll write it here.
दाल daal - lentils
ढाल daal - shield
डाल daal - branch/stick
Their romanization is same but their sounds are different from each other and their meanings as well. Hindi has almost all varieties of sounds I ever encountered (except English ‘th’ though) :joy:

2 Likes

OMG, so a beginner might say: “Do you want to come over for dinner? I made some delicious branch soup!” :rofl:

So how do they sound?

2 Likes

The first d is much like English article “the”
Third one is really really similar to English “d”
Second has a h sound right after d, so it’s difficult to right it down.

That’s actually a funny sentence, you got me! :rofl:

2 Likes

While searching for the video I wanted to post here, I found a different one that I watched almost a year ago.

This is how diverse Asia is but it always boils down to East Asia.
Anyway, if you’re Asian and didn’t found your language in it, there is also a second part for the video.

2 Likes

How many of those do you understand? Or even speak? :slight_smile:

Japanese, Korean, Bengali, Hindi and Urdu.
I can’t say, I understand completely but I know the sounds of these languages.

2 Likes

Wow! :star_struck:
Japanese and Korean I’m still learning. And in Urdu I only know one word! :joy:

In the dialect we speak in my region (former capital Bonn), we say a long “neee” for “no”, so it was a bit confusing, when I watched the first Korean dramas :grin:

3 Likes