The Future of LGBTQ+ Representation In K-Dramas

Hello!

I was thinking about how despite Korea continuing to be mostly negative towards LGBT themes in general, how there has certainly been development in many ways over the years in terms of representation in the media. Whether this be in music ( music videos portraying same sex couples, idols showing support, and even a few openly LGBT artists.) or in movies and television, although mostly in small doses, we are seeing quite a few gay characters and themes. Even though the actual LGBTQ+ community in Korea often gets pushed aside, it seems that the entertainment industry has taken an interest in their lives, even if it’s just for a side plot or one episode.

I guess my question for you is, where do you see this representation heading over the course of the next few years? Will we see a small growth of LGBT characters in dramas who actually get their own stories? Or will dramas continue with the theme of one episode characters/ unrequited love? If there is more gay representation in dramas, will it be positive? Or will a lot of it take the same route as many western gay characters and stick to stereotypes, tragedy, and fetishization? How long before we see a drama with a main character who is LGBT? Or is that even a possibility?

Please share your thoughts!!

(Although, I would appreciate if anyone has hateful opinions, to please keep them to yourself because this is simply a discussion about representation in media. It is not about your opinions on LGBT people in general. )

https://www.viki.com/tv/27013c-the-lover
I’ll just leave this here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I’ve seen this!! Pretty good overall in my opinion :blush: