The grim and uncertain future of segmenters and Portuguese volunteers community

Então já podem aprender o nosso sotaque :heart_hands: (se bem que terão que escolher qual dos sotaques brasileiros vão querer falar kkkkk)

7 Likes

I can’t speak for others but I am complimenting them. The ones I could work with were very polite. The chinese TEs I feel are more approachable than the korean ones. But maybe is because viki has more chinese TE/Subbers than korean, and they end up having little time to reply. In many projects they even changed the names to fit what we had on Team Notes. I don’t think this post is to talk about the paid subbers. They are just doing their jobs. We are just a little lost to what Viki is doing and what is gonna be the future of the volunteers here on Viki.

5 Likes

Agree. Viki should give some “middle ground” to make our work together be more smooth.

6 Likes

Guys, I’m happy to see so many of you coming here, but please, let’s keep the subject, we want Viki’s staff to note this thread and clarify to us if we, segmenters and Portuguese subbers, are not needed anymore here, since everything is coming pre-subbed. We don’t want it to be flagged and automatically get banned because of personal issues some of you might have against others. Let’s keep it peaceful, please.

19 Likes

I have been noticing it for a while and it made me quite sad. I’m only in two projects and it has been weeks I have been trying to join new ones and I just couldn’t. I was thinking about paying for it as soon as my QC status expires but it will only make viki cash in. I’m really grateful to Viki, here I was able to meet great people and to do the thing I love the most that is translating but I think that is so unfair reward them for this kind of behavior with our community so I think it would be interesting for us to find ways to pressure them in order to change their behavior and, if it doesn’t work, the whole community should ditch the platform. I know there are many f.a.n.s.u.b.s that would accept us. Imagine for viki to lose a huge community as ours? They would regret treating us the way they did. So, that’s it. As soon as my QC status expires, if nothing changes, I’m out! It would be great if everyone was able to do the same.
PS: I really want to thank you @sheli for opening this discussion, I’ve been frustrated for a while and it made me happy to see I wasn’t the only one. Thank you so much for that!

8 Likes

I have written personally to @daiemyllygunnarsen_8 and she doesn’t remember or is unable to give me the segment number of where she thought I made a mistake in editing “VIP Thailand.”

@kakashiandme If we have Thai reference subs, then we would be using Google Translate to interpret them. I find that GT is far in meaning from what my TEs give me.

I have found that pre-subs in even recent Chinese dramas appear machine translated. When I see that a Staff TE worked on it, I know that we are getting decent human pre-subs. However, I don’t feel that I know any origin language in order to work without our TEs. My TEs do catch where the meaning is incorrect.
TE: yuccaz | Oct 17
I am no longer worthy of the words “Fire Immortal”.
Staff TE | Aug 1
The words “Fire Immortal” will never be something I’m worthy of.
viki | Jul 31
the word Fire Immortal,

Note: He has always been “Fire Immortal” up to this point. The Staff TE worked on this when it was uploaded. My team can do only 4 episodes per week out of 148 episodes. Staff TEs are great for speed.

Our Kdramas are pre-subbed by Staff these days. I’m grateful that Viki made this investment. However, without our editors, we would see inconsistency in the spelling of names, missing text and signs, the same lyrics changing from episode to episode or no lyrics, some incorrect terms, modern idioms in historical dramas, completely opposite meanings in previews with what happens in the next episode, etc.

I know Staff TEs do the best they can, and I do appreciate their efforts! Dedicated Viki volunteers give our time to ensure consistency and provide quality which makes Viki subs a cut above unedited subs on other websites. If Viki wishes to lose the quality, that is their freedom of choice.

Korean-to-English pre-subs were inadequate or unavailable. That caused Viki to pay Staff to fix the pre-subs or sub from scratch. I know that Cgwm wrote on another thread that Viki was overwriting our volunteer subbers who worked on a Kdrama. Should viki's paid subbers be overwriting volunteers
This surely affects our Korean subbers. So it becomes a snowball effect of losing volunteer subbers.

I believe this may happen to our Portuguese community. Viki will find that Portuguese pre-subs are inadequate so they will hire more Portuguese Staff. I doubt that it’s something that can be predicted by Viki now. They are trying this to deal with the complaints from Portuguese viewers.

If I have a choice of watching a romance on iQ or NF that I know is coming to Viki, I will wait to watch it on Viki. I don’t know if Portuguese viewers feel the same way or if they are content with bad pre-subs. It really all depends on the viewers.

Viki can never do without our segmenters. No one likes watching 0.2 second segments when one has a choice to watch 4-5 second segments that make sense and have proper word order. If we lose our segmenters, then nothing else that subbers and editors do is really worthwhile.

12 Likes

@choitrio
re: working with the paid subbers. The name of the viki subber used to be given to us. After several instances of my writing to viki community support to pass on my suggestions, viki staff gave me “permission” to write to the subber(s) directly. I have worked often with someone who has had the longest tenure as a viki paid subber. I would write to her especially on legal terminology to explain a concept such as an exigent arrest without a warrant so that the next time she encountered the term, she would correctly translate to English, or to explain the Korean counterpart to in flagrante delicto. But in the past two years or so, the subs seem to be all written by “viki” so how do we work with an anonymous person(s)? Because of inconsistency in character naming on some dramas, I suspect more than one subber is working an episode, most likely in the interest of speed.
If I should spot a repeated error and think it worth my while to write to community support about the error, community support may not respond for weeks or months or never. Is it a worthwhile endeavor if in an OST, the published lyric says 나를 (me) but for some reason the subber subs the lyric with “you” as the direct object in the line? Is it worthwhile if because of the way the paid subber segmented, she connected two phrases from two different sentences so the meaning of the subtitle is very different from what the screenwriter intended. By the time the communication reaches the subber, if ever, the series is completed.
Now viki is telling channel managers that no editing of the English subtitles will be allowed. So how does that instruction facilitate “working with” the paid subbers?
@cerejacult
English subtitling of Korean has rarely been as fast as viewers demand from the very start. Back in 2009, we would wait weeks and sometimes months before English subs were completed, expecially on 60 episode dramas. In very rare instances, as in Queen In Hyeon’s Man, for which I was Chief Editor, we volunteers produced completed subtitles for 16 episodes in 7 days for English, Spanish, and Portuguese. The English subtitles were edited, including two or three translation edits, several times before release to the other languages. It seems that the more Korean to English subbers joined viki, the more viki widened the scope of broadcasters from which licenses were obtained, so the work expanded far faster than the number of competent subbers. We have never had the luxury of so many subbers that we could assign parts to 12 people, each to sub 1/2 part, which I understand was occasionally done for Portuguese or Spanish.

12 Likes

I don’t know if is just me, but people are too immediatist now. I was only a viewer before starting volunteering and I used to wait for 2, 3 days before the english subs were complete for me to watch the episode. I personally didn’t mind that much because since the beginning I was aware that volunteers were doing it. But with all these streams, people are thinking Viki is the same and want the subs now and not a second after that. Is really tiring. I have a real respect for all of you who are here for more than ten years.

9 Likes

Unfortunately, times are changing and instant gratification is expected. Viki is just doing what it has to in order to stay competitive, which is making contents available as fast as it can. “Time is money.” To be honest, I think the demanding viewers are at the heart of the problem. English, Portuguese, and Spanish speaking viewers are the largest and most demanding groups so Viki is doing what it thinks will solve the problem.

This may sound coldhearted but I don’t think this site will ever go back to being volunteer-centric. We can be sad about it, complain about it, or even push against the changes that are occurring but what would be more productive is to find a way to contribute alongside the Viki staff and paid subbers (I believe the paid subbers also segment as well) or decide to bow out and keep the good memories.

10 Likes

Cooperation with the staff was posssible in the past, when they still mingled with us. Nowadays, they live in their own bubble and they usually do their job long before we come in on a temporary presub channel and then when the show comes, their subs are uploaded under the name “Viki” so that it’s hard to even find out who they are.
On the rare occasions where segmenters get to segment the show first, the paid subbers mess with our segments while they are subbing without even consulting the CS.
And up till this point, we might have been able to live alongside each other, be it each group on its own planet. But by introducing OL presubs, Viki is making our work impossible. Obviously, the subbers of the presubbed languages have no choice but to quit or become an editor/moderator, which not everyone is willing or able to do. The ones who do stay around as moderator/editor have to do so without the big team they usually had, doing nothing but edit whatever quality of subtitles Viki is throwing at them.
The segmenters cannot do a proper job anymore. A&C has turned into just A. We are not allowed to combine so that we can merely adjust the timing but have to leave all the errors that could have been solved by combining or splitting, just to save those precious OL presubs that don’t do anyone any good.
In reality, we can save OL presubs during combining, but it’s a whole lot of extra work ánd we need to ask permission from the higher-ups for every single show since they simply tell each new CM that combining is prohibited.

I don’t think bowing out now would leave anyone with good memories. Indeed, things will probably not go back to exactly the way it was. But why wouldn’t we at least try to defend our positions? Most of us have invested a lot of time and energy in this site over the years and we don’t want to be simply dismissed for the sake of some unreasonable viewers. They may fill Viki’s wallets; we have always been the ones who made exactly that possible.

11 Likes

That is so far from the truth. There are many times these characters speak in dialect or too fast that you have no freaking clue what they are saying, or the bgm is too loud. Reference subs are exactly what they are… reference. I can get an idea of what is trying to be said and get the point across. There are 2-3 TEs for the Thai language and if you can’t get one, GT is the way to go, for necessity.

Especially in Chinese and Thai, because of the so many dialects and tonal vocabulary. “Xiao” can be written a hundred different ways so the true word is needed.

4 Likes

A simple address to the initial high demand for quick turnaround of translation, was to give the opportunity of being paid to volunteers.

Volunteers who accepted fine. Volunteers who chose not to accept fine.

What we would still have is teams, who understand the demands, from both side of the fence, cooperating with each other to an effective end.

Subsequently, those who joined either side of the fence, would have cooperating guidelines to follow.

5 Likes

I still remember clearly the lovelivel episode. The times I had to listen again and didn’t get quack of that and in the end… it was engrish LoL

3 Likes

One more kdrama coming with english and portuguese presubs @sheli and @vikicommunity didn’t reply yet

4 Likes

I believe the whole Portuguese community feels the same way. :sweat::cry:

Many of us know that too, it’s how you said, “Time is money”. But they at least owe us a clear statement about what our future, or if there’ll be a future, will be.

Precisely, I’m trying to defend my community. A community I make part as volunteer for 6 years, turning 7 in November. I spent more time working on projects than watching dramas, lost countless nights contributing even when I was tired and sleepy only for Viki to fill it’s wallets.

I don’t think they will reply to us, so many days have passed and they remain silent.

9 Likes

Even though, I’ve been Segmenting on Viki for a year and half(I think). Once I actually started working on projects I slowly realized the lack of credit Viki gives to Segmenters. I hate doing pre-subs. I just want to make my own segments, edit, and enjoy the show with everyone. I bet the final product would be much better than the segments and dialogue Viki is giving us to FIX!!! I hope Viki corrects this behavior sooner than later!

If they don’t then its crash and burn for them! Lose of wonderful volunteers :rage:

12 Likes

I agree that language communities like yours and the segmenters have been treated very badly lately. Instead of finding good solutions, more and more restrictions are forced on everyone and big communities will disappear at one point if there is no work to do.

Furthermore, it is not like the PT community would not be able to meet the demand of fast translations. Therefore, I do no think it is necessary like that.

Generally, the issue with Viki TEs is that they will not show up to fill empty segments etc. And even if they were supposed to check something further issues might show up and there is no way to verify or discuss any questions. That is why I was sometimes asked to help out a team where a CM did not appoint any TE.

8 Likes

Communities are already disappearing. English TEs, GEs, and subbers are almost completely gone. Only a few are left. So if we do get an empty slated drama, there is nobody left to sub it (except for the “volunteer” Viki staff). Portuguese and the segmenting teams are falling in line on the path of English’s destruction: not enough subbers and segmenters left in the community to fill slots IF an empty-slated drama were to appear.

Again, I re-iterate… Viki is on the path of removing the “volunteer” community tag it’s always had. English community was the first sign, then the segmenters, then Portuguese… Soon Spanish will get hit and maybe even another European language like German or French. It’s a slow downfall in the making.

Why do you think the Viki “staff” ignore us? They know!

11 Likes

They don’t even know any basic matters concerning our work in the first place, as they don’t bother coming to know about it (as we can determine from the FE/CE debate). However, if they want to replace everyone soon there’d no point to bother about events or optimizations, so it is likely that they don’t plan to substitute everyone fast. In the end, languages have different grades of difficulty, too. However, regarding Spanish/French they first added presubs and now continued with Portuguese only. So they took a step back basically. Why’s that? Is it too expensive? Are there not enough people or enough volunteers? Do the results not meet the standards? Are there too few viewers from these respective countries? :thinking:

7 Likes

I don’t really agree for segmenters, if there are dramas coming not presubbed, more seggers are around. I saw it many times on the few projects which weren’t coming presubbed this year. Still, indeed for A&C and A&P projects, there’s way less segmenters. Myself, I don’t want to work on adjust only or adjust and past subs projects. I would prefer working on A&C than working on A&P which doesn’t allow segmenters to do their best since some segments will be way too short and we’ll not be allowed to combine them.
For “Life”, for example, there were so many segmenters that we segmented the 16 episodes in less than 48 hours.
There’s a very big amount of segmenters still around but who only accept to work on projects not presubbed. I have a long list of segmenters like that myself on a spreadsheets. Thing is indeed if it keeps going, these segmenters who are still around even if not working on projects, will end up just leaving Viki.

11 Likes