The Nokdu Flower 2022 Re-release

I remember getting confused about this one and the other Nokdu drama. I also rember complaining about a certain service and its limited availability.

Well, it seems that The Nokdu Flower has been re-released as a 2022 title with fan-made subs for all-regions.

Is this correct? Have you guys and gals worked on it?

2 Likes

The drama “Nokdu Flower” was originally released to Ko Co Wa in April 2019.
It is now regionally licensed to Viki. It appears to series came with English subs (I cannot confirm the source of the English subs).
https://asianwiki.com/Nokdu_Flower

Hope this helps answer your question.
I just checked and the team is adding the subs to the soundtrack! I’m not a member of “The Flower of Revolution Team”.

3 Likes

I’m only asking because The Nokdu Flower now has a 2022 release date. And the subs have been provided by the Flower of Revolution, not KOCOWA.

Screenshot_20220713-200015_Viki

Screenshot_20220713-195954_Samsung%20Internet

2 Likes

Don’t know how the team could’ve subbed (in English) all 24 episodes in such a short amount of time.
The episodes have to be released before the volunteers work on them. Perhaps Viki staff provided the subs.

4 Likes

Probably just a couple of name changes here and there to avoid any complaints. Either way, it’s great to see more official releases in Europe.

4 Likes

So glad it’s released in your region! Better late than never, right? :smile:

2 Likes

Hi-- I’m Chief Editor for the Nokdu Flower. It has been resubbed by viki paid subbers. The subs are different from the ones on the Kocowa version. The English and segmenting will be edited by volunteers on the team and wholly subbed in several other languages.
Of course, I have prepared the translation of the OST to add the lyrics to the episodes. An interesting fact about the OST is that OST 1 is an authentic song from the time and situation. The lyrics have been recorded with similar but slightly different lyrics but the song is truly part of the history of the Donghak Peasant Rebellion of 1894 in the waning days of the Joseon Dynasty. The “Nokdu flower” was the leader of the Donghak revolution. When the song mentions the fall of the Nokdu Flower, it is a reference to the general’s execution.
If you are interested in the history, Donghak was a philosophical, pseudo-religious movement which became attached to the dissatisfaction of the peasants with the oppression and corruption of the government.
Meaning of the title. Nokdu is the Korean name for the mung bean. “Sprouts” in Asian markets are either Mung bean sprouts or soy bean sprouts. Jeon Bong Jun, (whom you will meet in the first ten minutes of the series) is the Nokdu Flower. In the drama, Bong Jun mentioned that he planted mung bean flowers in order for them to spread to other places so that they too have mung bean flowers as well as he took a glance at the field around him. This quote represents the spread of freedom for everyone in the world and that Jeon Bong Jun would be the igniter to the flame of freedom that will influence the drama later.

Sorry, no place to put all of that in TN in the subs but I can’t get rid of the inner teacher.

13 Likes

Thank you so much for the information.

Your contributions, and the contributions of many volunteers from around the globe, are what makes the Viki community so special and unique.
Feel free to teach us history any time.

I look forward to watching “The Nokdu Flower”.

5 Likes

Looking forward to watching this drama. Here are some additional information that might be of interest.

• “Donghak” refers to Eastern learning.
  • Because of his short stature, Jeon Bong Joon was often called by his nickname “Nokdu” (mung bean) and later known as General Nokdu.
  • In the folk song “Blue Bird”, “blue bird” refers to the Japanese army, “nokdu flower” is Jeon Bong Joon, and the “mung-bean jelly sellers” are the people of Joseon.
  • Donghak Rebellion sparked the first Sino-Japanese War (1894-1895).
  • Gabo Reform (1894-1896), a series of sweeping government and social reforms, took place in response to the Donghak Peasant Rebellion.
10 Likes

And this is what makes Viki a Community. It’s when the people who genuinely care about the material get to do the work they love so much. And everyone benefits too since it’s no longer restricted to company policies and whatnot.

Thank you. Good to have this one come over to European shores.

5 Likes

I started watching this drama and was wondering when they just assembled to revolt if this is based on true events and was going to google it. So thank you for the heads up. I saw that it’s so far a star studded drama as well, so I look forward to watch it :heart_eyes:, perhaps I’ll wait for the edit as well.

5 Likes

thanks for the info!!

3 Likes

also I thought that did sound familiar

2 Likes