The "Viki Original" you haven't seen yet

@vivi_1485,
Can you link :paperclips: it here, :face_with_hand_over_mouth: not trying to give discobot, or 'brat a headace, just checking it out.

2 Likes

Yes - you can find hottie posse - doom - etc with gifs that have been uploaded by us!
@leerla73

Why is this a problem?? We always attempt to cite the source! as best we can

Pinterest

3 Likes

OK. Let me see if I can present things more clearly from my POV as a graphic designer/writer/editor/proofreader type person.

First, Viki is a . . . what’s the word? Ah, yes. Visual medium. No disagreement there, I think.

Viki’s administration involves a lot of behind the scenes analytical, detailed bean-counting, programming, and developing (in an R and D, not in a photographic sense), but its chief product is visual.

And Viki’s chief customers, you know, mostly watch Viki’s visual product on their phones, tablets, desktop computers, and possibly their Apple watches? (I don’t know how those work; I’m never going to spend my money on one when I can spend the money on food!)

Obvs visually impaired people listen to dialog and descriptions, and obvs when I am in the kitchen, I’m hearing whatever show I’m streaming (and have to rewind to catch the precious seconds I missed while rummaging in the refrigerator). But Viki is selling to its customers (and we are all some sort of customers) a VISUAL entertainment experience.

So I posted a visual element to make a point about Viki . . . and its desire and need to sell its visual entertainment product . . . and its fairly obvious ham-handedness in trying to cater to both the chaebols further up the Rakuten org chart and to its customer base.

A re-reading of what I posted just before this should make it more (I hope) clear that I am not talking about any of us uploading what is already out there in terms of gifs, memes, posters, photos, or whatever.

I am talking about taking things to a higher level. Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, if you will direct your attention to the center ring:

I am not talking about any of us uploading OTHERS’ work.

We can make OUR OWN GIFS using our own images, photos drawings, or whatever we have to hand. The technology is out there. Obvs if any part of a gif that I make contains elements that I get from the Internet, I am going to cite sources.

The point is that people keep saying, “Oh, I’m not creative; I can’t do X; I don’t have time for Y; I worry about what the overlords of Viki might say about Z.”

With what’s available now, literally anybody who uses the Internet, and certainly anybody who frequents this thread, can make SMOKIN gifs that promote Viki better and more (dare I use the word) creatively than Viki.

And have fun and share the love and all that.

Can I “hear” (because I am probably never literally going to hear any of your voices ever) . . . can I hear anyone say, “Hey, sounds like a great idea. Give me some more details!” . . . ?

Or should I go back in the kitchen and rummage in the fridge some more?

(And if the refresh rate of the David Bowie gif is more intolerable than the refresh rate of the gifs uploaded in response to my latest post, I am willing to be told off by someone in corporate and be stripped of whatever rights and privileges I have earned so far by cleaning subs.

(I cannot, ultimately, convince anyone that they are creative and can produce wonderful work whoever they may be, but I can keep trying, in an annoying manner if that’s what it takes.)

(Giphy)

3 Likes

This is a good idea! Since we can’t create fan channels, what I said about posting them here still holds. I guess we’ll have to name the gifs well so people searching the internet can find it easily using convenient keywords. I don’t know how to make gifs… I also don’t have the time to learn (I’m already juggling midterm exams and NSSA). So someone here could upload the gifs with good names and I’ll try searching the web to see if it comes up.

For example, if you make a gif of, say, the scene in 18 Again where LDH saves aae Rin from falling, name the gif “18 again kdrama_fall scene_ae rin_lee do Hyun” or something similar. Then I’ll try searching for it on the web using those keywords and see if it pops up.

2 Likes

Oh boy, I’ve always said that if I ever learned how to make GIFs, no one would ever be able to find me again. I’d fall down that rabbit hole so hard and fast, I’d probably get injured. :joy:

I’ve always been under the impression that GIF making is very technical and time consuming and required advanced software. Are there new and improved and easier-to-use GIF making programs these days?

The biggest hinderance to GIF making in terms of Viki content is the fact that Viki specifically designs their video player so as to prevent anyone from taking screencaps or video clips. I know there are work arounds for this, but I am not a person who is totally willing to add those to my computer.

2 Likes

Found it! The “Google Search” link. Hottie and Doom were the universal search words, noted by Google.

“My Hottie Posse…Who is YOURS? - Celebrities - Viki Discussions” My Hottie Posse...Who is YOURS?

If you follow the link returned by a Google search, you’ll not be able to like, or reply until you complete the log in process, even if you are already logged in on Chrome, or a similar browser.

1 Like

Pervert! :flushed::flushed: You do not want to go there! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::laughing::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

@ninjas_with_onions, your search preference kept you safe from launching into the deep! :rofl::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

:grimacing: It’s official @kdrama2020ali is deemed NSFW! Scandalous! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

If you haven’t read this Wiki give it a read, including the reads under the drop down arrow in the Wiki :wink::ok_hand:t5::fist:t5:!

Post Script: I learned my lesson about creating Wikis, and keeping ones badge awards :sob::joy::face_with_hand_over_mouth: Thankfully the two month mark, has sealed this Wiki, but the information is useful.:smile::smile::smile:

2 Likes

Not Safe For Work :sob::joy:I had to web search that :sob::joy:

3 Likes

giphy

animated gif

I need a WARNING by my name!!

4 Likes

If you use Firefox, there are extensions you can add to do screen caps of most anything. If I do a Google search on any drama shown on Viki and arrive at stills or posters or whatever that are being used on another website, I have no trouble doing an ordinary screen cap.

Also, making gifs is a matter of following a set of instructions on whatever websites offer the ability to make gifs. The time-consuming part is playing with the app. It’s like shopping for clothes. It takes as much or as little time as you decide on.

The answer to making gifs is: it’s a popular activity that draws people to certain social media sites and enables the website owner to entice them to linger and purchase/subscribe/enroll. It’s made simple so everyone can do it and share.

The answer to dealing with Viki screen caps is: avoid them. I can get Viki images I’m looking for by Googling fan and news sites that I know use them and screen-capping them that way.

And the obvs way to get one’s work noticed is to post to the Viki FB page.

LMAO this is the funniest thing ever! @kdrama2020ali your Supreme Chancellor position has consequences!

1 Like

Just wanted to take some artistic license/licence here to thank subjects of the tiny lady in the shiny hat (dear soul not doing well I understand) for bringing some light and originality to one of Her Majesty’s former colonies in this year’s “off-year” elections.

Virginia, where I grew up, now has a new governor who is (like many of my Scotch-Irish pioneer ancestors) 6’7" tall. And it has a lieutenant governor who is Jamaican by birth AND an ex-US Marine.

I especially want to thank my friends and relations in the United States’ largest unincorporated territory for being part of the crew that has made me one happy ex-resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

(Giphy)

2 Likes

Are gifs easy to make? The answer is yes.

Unmesh-ji seems like a trustworthy sort of fellow.

Have fun!

1 Like

This is also the type of thing we can contribute to the sea of memes. People know how to use Photoshop, GIMP, other graphic manipulation software.

Again I say, original, creative, kickass. Right here. Proven for several months now by everybody. Just another thought.

(Gimp, Kompasiana, Pixabay)

1 Like

If anyone is going to try this, don’t create it as a WebP, Discussions doesn’t allow uploads in WebP format.

1 Like

2 Likes