The "Viki Original" you haven't seen yet

There are several threads related to shows that people want to see on Viki. There are also several threads related to problems people are having with shows that are currently on Viki.

This thread is not one of them.

If you look under the discussion categories of โ€œTV and Moviesโ€ and โ€œK-dramas,โ€ you will probably find discussion threads that can address your current interests and concerns.

2 Likes

I am glad you said it @entwyfhasbeenfound, but after thinking why @meonmyown would keep posting about shows she hasnโ€™t seen, and want to see, in this thread, I think meonmyown misunderstand the title of this thread, and keeps reading it as a question, instead of a declaration. I hope she understands now :rofl:

3 Likes

Then so I want to see Jirisan, Yumiโ€™s Cells and many more. Sorry I misunderstood the topic.
@entwyfhasbeenfound @leerla73 :rofl:

2 Likes

Apology accepted!
@meonmyown, those are not shows we want to see, they were only used as references to make a point.

2 Likes

I donโ€™t know what happened but I just now got the badge, I was deleting some of my posts and I saw make Wiki and clicked it and I got the badge and deleted that post, no problem right?

1 Like

๐•ณ๐–Š๐–—๐–Šโ€™๐–˜ ๐–† ๐–Œ๐–—๐–Š๐–†๐–™ ๐–œ๐–Š๐–‡๐–˜๐–Ž๐–™๐–Š ๐–‹๐–”๐–— ๐–ˆ๐–—๐–Š๐–†๐–™๐–Ž๐–“๐–Œ ๐–š๐–“๐–Ž๐––๐–š๐–Š ๐–™๐–Š๐–๐–™ ๐–‹๐–”๐–— ๐–’๐–Š๐–’๐–Š๐–˜.

https://lingojam.com/TextFonts

You can โ€œcutโ€ a chunk of plain text, apparently from anywhere, and paste it into the box on the left side of the web page. The โ€œfontifiedโ€ version of the plain text then appears in the box on the right side of the page.

The fonts are limited. I know there are other similar websites. Definitely a tool worth investigating.

๐•ด ๐–†๐–‘๐–˜๐–” ๐–“๐–”๐–™๐–Ž๐–ˆ๐–Š๐–‰ ๐–™๐–๐–†๐–™ ๐•ท๐–Ž๐–“๐–Œ๐–”๐•ต๐–†๐–’ ๐–”๐–‹๐–‹๐–Š๐–—๐–˜ ๐–š๐–˜๐–Š๐–—๐–˜ ๐–™๐–๐–Š ๐–†๐–‡๐–Ž๐–‘๐–Ž๐–™๐–ž ๐–™๐–” ๐–ˆ๐–—๐–Š๐–†๐–™๐–Š ๐–† . . . ๐–™๐–—๐–†๐–“๐–˜๐–‘๐–†๐–™๐–”๐–—.

WHAT??? What if some Viki worker bees used LingoJam to create a translator that came up with non-lame pre-subs?

Would that mean less time spent scrโ€“, er, talking to my desktop computer as I bang my heaโ€“, er, rest my head gently on my desk and sigh?

https://media.giphy.com/media/62XCHIYqiwOhW/giphy.gif

(Giphy)

Hereโ€™s a meme I think is kind of funny. Donโ€™t know what kind of visual would work or what kind of font. Any suggestions?

If Elton John were Korean, what Italian restaurant would he eat at?
Hakuna Fritatta

Or is that so much of an inside joke that NOBODY would get it?

2 Likes

4 Likes

1 Like

Talk about originality! Hereโ€™s the basis for a C-drama that would probably never make it to Viki because it would be absolutely fascinating and terribly controversial.

And it would require a Historical Hottie to age rapidly, wear a fat suit, and spend a lot of screen time slaughtering men, women, and children.

But wow.

I love it when I can learn about the origins of stuff.

And ever since the 1980s (when I met a number of Chinese students โ€œsheltering in placeโ€ at the University of Rochester in New York during a troubled time), I have had a โ€œthingโ€ for the Terracotta Army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP5p4QbvPtc

The incredible history of Chinaโ€™s terracotta warriors - Megan Campisi and Pen-Pen Chenโ€“Ted-Ed

โ€œIn 1974, farmers digging a well near their small village stumbled upon one of the most important finds in archaeological historyโ€“vast underground chambers surrounding a Chinese emperorโ€™s tomb that contained more than 8,000 life-size clay soldiers ready for battle. Megan Campisi and Pen-Pen Chen share the fascinating history of Emperor Qin Shi Huang.โ€

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeMyj4ZnYNE

The Mausoleum of Emperor Qin Shihuang II [UNESCO World Heritage Sites in China] | China Documentary

The first emperor of China makes Ma Hwang look like a choir boy.

2 Likes

You are so funny, :joy::laughing::joy::joy:

Hilarious! :rofl:

Wo :smiley:w! @nangli24 ๐Ÿช„ :dizzy: This is good! (ไบบ ^โ€ฟ^) Iโ€™m like @princecharmingcome,

Echoing :speaking_head:MORE Plzz. . .

:speaking_head:MORE Plzz. . .
Is this candle :candle: still lit? (ไบบ ^โ€ฟ^) I hope someone will come along, and produce a finished production. Originating from the hearts :heart: of avid fans of Asian dramas, both of these stories are so worth producing

Part Two by @nangli24 :smiley: W(โฐoโฐ)W !

My Wordtrip Discoveries call it a Gerenuk I got it as a gift for completing todayโ€™s :honeybee: spellingbee :honeybee:
Screenshot_20220803-204750_Word%20Trip
Below is the Gazelle. The nose, and horns are distinctly different.
Screenshot_20220803-222050_GoogleScreenshot_20220803-222050_Google

2 Likes

Yes, I recall that it was the most likely a Gerenuk at the time I researched what the popcorn eating animal was. A reverse image search pointed to Gazelle popcorn gifs so I looked up pictures for Gazelles and it lumped in Gerenuks, Springboks and Impalas all being variations of that genus of antelopes. Having the distinct large ears with the black antler horns pattern ear fur, large eyes and long skull structure.
The closest matching from Gazelles to the popcorn eater were young female ones but there were more matches when comparing with Gerenuks.
I think I went with Gazelle as it was the most likely to be known out of the bunch and exercised a bit of Hollywood creative licence and bent the truth a bit, I certainly remember after some 2-3 hours researching antelopes, that it was a ridiculous amount of time spent just to spin a story of a Gazelle/Gerenuk eating popcorn in a Korean office building!
I felt like the FL in Pretty Proofreader who was supposed to just proofread and make spelling corrections but instead would go galloping around Japan researching facts in the manuscript she was meant proof read.

4 Likes

As a child, I had several paperback books with line drawing illustrations of various birds and animals. The books came with what were essentially large stamps, pictures of the various animals that needed to be licked and pasted onto the matching line drawing. I still have one with lizards and snakes.

I would have loved African animals, especially animals with big eyes and long lashes. Gerenuks are, by my inner six-year oldโ€™s standards, just perfect.

(Why does Gerenuk sound like the name of someoneโ€™s reincarnated harabeoji?)

5 Likes

If at first you dont succeed, Try! Try! Again!

Maybe we could try for a movie script, or a two episode drama script?

Dating on Viki discussions is a bit ambiguous. The date on this is โ€œ6d.โ€ Meaning November 17? Since getting socked with COVID in January, I have been really slow to get back in the game when it comes to supporting Viki, so I am super behind in keeping track of the Discussion Board.

Also, Viki supporters/subscribers can have fun interacting with each other, but those who are not in the same time zone will all ways have issues with timing. Someone will always be up too late, someone will always have to get up too early.

And someone will always have something about their daily life that prevents consistent focus over time, which is part of what makes collaborations of any kind successful.

Besides, there are no venues for Viki supporters/subscribers to do their version of โ€œfanficโ€ regarding favorite actors/actresses/dramas.

Since Viki is about visual entertainment, AND since supporters/subscribers come from many different cultural and linguistic backgrounds, AND since the government of Korea (if not other Asian governments) strictly regulates what the world officially sees of its entertainment โ€œproducts,โ€ I think that Asian drama fans would have as much trouble posting their writings and artwork as Harry Potter fans had. (J.K. Rowling was very protective, copyright-wise, of her young wizard and all his friends).

I personally am doing so much better than I was nine months ago when I came home from the hospital and began recovering from COVID. My mental focus and stamina are so much better, but it will take another year at least for me to regain the ability to multi-task for a long period of time without suddenly running out of steam.

And the U.S. economy is is such a bad state that the majority of my time seems to be spent trying not to go into debt. By the time my day winds down and I have quiet time for recreation, I donโ€™t want to think, plan, create, or do anything.

The world will be back to normal when local, national, and international politics do not require human beings to constantly keep their heads down, their thoughts to themselves, and their devices tuned to the latest bad news. We are not there yet as a world, and I am certainly not there yet as a person.

Which is why, currently, I am happy that Viki has had such offerings as Law Cafรฉ and The Side Story of Fox Volant (perhaps better translated in English as Chronicles of Flying Fox). Stories with grit and hope despite craziness in the world.

(Giphy)

2 Likes

So glad you are getting better. Take care, rest, and stay hopeful.
By the yard it is hard, but by the inch itโ€™s a cinch (life is less overwhelming if you take it one step at a time.
https://bryanhendley.medium.com/inch-by-inch-lifes-a-cinch-8d60cc53441c

2 Likes

@aznative, @leerla73, and others, thanks for encouragement and support.

Two things I have heard a lot recently: โ€œinch by inch and pinch by pinchโ€ and โ€œlife unrolls at the rate of one day per day, and stuff gets done at the rate of one stuff per stuff.โ€

Life all over is cray-cray these days, and trying to go faster in order to keep up with all of the stuff thatโ€™s going on is a guarantee of insanity.

The bad guy in Bad Prosecutor expresses a snarled-up view of life that I truly believe is the result of letting worry about lifeโ€™s uncertainty take hold. Then there is so much anxiety generated that people will rationalize really damaging methods of getting rid of those negative sensations.

I think a lot of people are just beginning to realize that there is such a thing as โ€œpost-Covid post traumatic stress disorder,โ€ and that thoughts and feelings people have suppressed (in order to cope with massive uncertainty and the potential or actual death of others) are going to be emerging and affecting people for a long time to come.

Two unexpected consequences for me are how hypervigilant I have become to every little sound at night and how unwilling I am to completely trust people I trusted four years ago (because they are trustworthy).

I really donโ€™t like being in that place emotionally, and I am seeing a counselor, but itโ€™s clear that none of my experiences will just go away because I want them to.

I understand that I have to slow down and stop being pushed around by external forces, but it is not easy.

Which is why I bingewatched some Bad Prosecutor today. That one drama has intensified and expanded the concept of โ€œdeadly dimples,โ€ and even with an amazing amount of blood (and those weird blurred-out carving knives), it has turned out to be one that is, for me, worth watching because it is so hopeful.

Emily Dickenson wrote about hope being a โ€œthing with feathers,โ€ and the more we take time to look for signs of it and allow our thoughts to be lifted by it, the sooner we will all truly have a normal life again.

(Viki screen cap)

4 Likes

I knew this at the start, when it was โ€œOfficially Acknowledged.โ€ I was at the old terminal B, at LaGuardia, and I had one lady trying to get a flight home to Russia. There was one gentleman trying to go down south.
The mental ramifications, I knew would be far reaching.

2 Likes