Tips/advice for learning a new language

Hello! Well, I was going through the topics and haven`t found any about MIA or AJATT! this year i came across Mat videos about how he learned japonese through immersion! And I feel down to my bones that it works! I wanted to know if anyone has learned korean through kdramas, like just immersing, watching with only korean subs!! I would love to have some tips! I saw that you need basically 2200 hours to learn korean!! thanks a lotttttt.
Please check out his channel! its called matvsjapan.

1 Like

is this still active? I hope so!
1, like to learn on my own
2, learn from different dramas & movies
3 Id’ like to take classes, and maybe that is what I will do, have at least 3 on line and a couple on viki and you tube

3 Likes

@frustratedwriter

If you’d like to learn some Dutch:

3 Likes

hey that sounds great!

2 Likes

Are you going to take it? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yes, going to take it

2 Likes

Great! Feel free to ask me if there is anything that’s difficult. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The best activity that helps me learn a non-native language is speaking to fluent speakers. My ears seems to perk right up with attention. :smile: :blush:

1 Like

A couple weeks ago, I was watching a Christmas movie on Nfx that happened to be in Dutch (Flemish, to be exact), and I thought the language sounded so lovely. I randomly mentioned to my hubby that maybe I should learn Dutch since I liked it so much. Of course, through no help of the devices in our house that definitely don’t listen to our conversations :wink:, an article appeared on my browser homepage a day or so later about the easiest languages for English speakers to learn. Hey, what do you know, Dutch is among the top 10 (or was it 9? can’t remember)! Well, that seemed like a sign, so I determined I would do more research. I started by seeking out the alphabet and how letters are pronounced. The first article I chose began with the vowels, and the first vowel, of course, was the “a”. Among other details, it tells me that the short “a” sounds like the “o” in “dot” and the long “a” sounds like the “a” in “Chicago.” Well, I can’t speak for every region of my country, but where I’m from, we pronounce those two things exactly the same. Does this mean my Dutch journey is doomed before it even starts? :sweat_smile:

Despite this inauspicious beginning, I went ahead and started on Duolingo, and at least I’ve learned how to say “Ik ben een vrouw.” :blush:

5 Likes

I usually describe our short a as “the u in cup.” But maybe I just pronounce “dot” the wrong way… :thinking:

Anyway, if you need any tips/help from a native speaker, you know where to find me. I don’t speak Flemish, though, just regular Dutch from The Netherlands.

2 Likes

This makes more sense based on what I have heard in subsequent videos I’ve checked out.

It’s so great to have some native speakers here. I may come find you as I get further along. Do you have any recommendations for YT videos or maybe books that are geared toward children? I feel like that would be a good resource to start with. After all, our own kids learn our own language this way in their early years.

3 Likes

Hmmm. . . Whatever happened to Flemish?

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more
Flem·ish
/ˈflemiSH/
adjective
relating to Flanders, its people, or their language.
noun
the Dutch language as spoken in Flanders, one of the two official languages of Belgium.
the people of Flanders.

1 Like

Now I’m curious, which movie? I didn’t even realise we had christmas movies.
I am from Flanders, so I do speak Flemish.

We have 3…

2 Likes

This channel might be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/@dutchforn00bs

From the classic children-book series Jip en Janneke:

vroo012ikte01ill06

Also, listening to Dutch songs (or even better: sing along) is helpful.

A Dutch Christmas song:

3 Likes

“The Claus Family” There are actually three of them. Decent family movies.

Thanks so much. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I will be checking out all your resources, including songs. They are certainly a good way to learn.

3 Likes

Aah! Yes, and German. :wink:

@my_happy_place,
You might find this short read informative.

1 Like

oooh, I saw the first one. The Mom’s Dutch, though.

I found this video which I think is super funny (but only in Dutch). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bDLLXqLvBk It’s two Dutch actresses trying to guess Flemish words. They play in Undercover which was also a very good Flemish/Dutch show.

3 Likes

I did start researching the difference because one source told me those movies I was watching were in Dutch, but Nfx said the original language was Flemish. I had heard of both languages, of course, but I had never realized they were related.

1 Like

I got Klappen = clap :clap:t5::clap:t5::clap:t5: I didn’t watch further though. It’s like a flash card for learners to watch. :wink:

Funny enough, Klapoen also means clap. It is another loosley related language, called Frisian. not often used, it’s spoken by @mattlock. I found the meaning while verifying Klappen’s meaning.
He was talking with @mirjam_465 about Frisian.

I think you are confusing Frisian with Faroese.

This is Frisian:

1 Like