Too Many Commercials

They don’t want more viewers, they want more paying viewers.

5 Likes

You’re right. I just think they should change that. The viewers who don’t have Viki Pass bring them money too by watching ads. There is a balance to find: a number of profitable ads that don’t drive away those viewers. Viki is based on freemium but their free service is impossible to enjoy. Most of people here have the Viki Pass, I rarely see the others.

3 Likes

I totally agree that there are too much ads and it is so annoying!!! I love watching kdramas on viki but it makes me want to move to other websites. What is unfair as well is that, when you sit through all those annoying ads (3-4 at a time) when the drama starts back, it sticks. When you reload the page, you have to endure at least one or all 3-4 ads again. That is extremely annoying and unfair. If I have to watch all those stupid ads, at least the drama should start back where it left off. Please stop that nonsense Viki. It is really a turn off and it can cause you to lose viewers so please deal with that

3 Likes

J’approuve totalement, c’est juste une honte!! Publicités mal placées, intempestives et trop mais alors vraiment trop nombreuses!!! Ils n’arrangeront pas cela, puisque c’est fait exprès pour vous pousser à prendre un abonnement chez eux!! Le site était agréable avant, mais comme le dit la pub: ça c’était avant ^^

I stopped using VIKI. Way too many ads. Greedy bastards.

Just go get vikipass. It’s so worth it. Besides, a lot of people have worked hard on creating subtitles on the dramas. Like on other person said, there’s really nothing free in this world.

4 Likes

If you knew the licensing trail you would understand why for free viewing there are commercials.
Know that Asian dramas have gained so much popularity that their actors are getting more paid, some dramas are getting more elaborate, the networks are asking more money as well.

Today’s expenses for everything are rising… no wonder licenses are getting more and more costly, also because of streaming competition the single rights are the most expensive. Plus the entire IT team and business team including large servers and maintenance… it’s all money here money there… you’d be surprised what all today costs, which has to roll onto consumer like any other product.

Whether you buy a laptop, a bicycle etc. there is the self cost plus profit margin, that’s the end price we consumers pay. I personally hate ads and do not watch them, a reason I gave up a TV cable/channels longtime ago. - As a consumer you have a choice.

1 Like

It’s easy to complaint about commercials ? Let’s be real how do you think Viki or DramaFever is able to survive? And bring us legit and the best dramas and movies. Instead of complaining it is real simple if you can afford to do so to get, a Viki Pass.

There are different payment options Viki and Drama Fever have a setup to look at their dramas or movies on line, mobile phone, roku and other options.Nothing is free so really if you are a freebie deal with it or move on.

2 Likes

Viki has to put commercials for many dramas since they paid the license with a lot of money for a drama. According to Forbes, a series used to cost around $800,000 or more. Right! Nothing is free.

1 Like

Of course ads are necessary to pay the licenses, staff, offices and maintainance. But I wish they didn’t put the exact same ad 10 times - sometimes back to back. That’s beyond annoying, it’s mean. It’s like saying “Free users, we really don’t care shit about you, we don’t want you. We’ll make you pay no matter what”.

I think that the ads mostly are done by a 3rd party so everyone get’s different ads depending on their region.
Like t’s no use to show US ad to someone from The Netherlands because they can’t buy the product or service and that is what ads are about. Maybe that 3rd party has limited ads for certain regions so you keep seeing the same ones.

1 Like

Yes, they would be region-adapted, of course. But the fact that the same ad is repeated many times remains, no matter what ad it is.
I still remember the time when the ad I had was about “Descendants of the Sun” which was upcoming at the time. It was about five times or maybe more in a single episode.

One less person who cannot use civil language in public will not be missed.

1 Like

We all enjoy Viki dramas and it’s varieties of different drama Chinese, korean, Japanese etc. But this is a business Viki have to pay to have the license contract, in order to bring us these dramas.

So if you don’t like ads because you are looking to watch for free, what do you expect? If you can afford to get a Viki Pass then do so, then you will see no ads, if not then you take what you can get with ads. Now days most legit sites that is offering Asian dramas will show ads and will also offer a price not to have ads, that’s life now days,nothing is really all free without a price. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m seeking a drama but the information I have is extremely vague. It aired sometime in 2011 or 2012 and the story was about a family (rivarly?) and was serious in tone. There are only a couple of scenes I remember clearly:

1. One of the main characters (good looking woman) sells “You liar!” in English which I thought was hilarious.

2. The same woman from above is in a bad mood and ends up going clubbing with a Korean-American named Jason. They end up sleeping together, but she returns home, seeing her husband sleeping and feeling guilty.