Traditions -- old and new -- that you celebrate

You still need to focus :eye::eye::roll_eyes:
Keep it merry, keep it bright!:christmas_tree::notes::partying_face:

How about some Christmas music :musical_note::notes:?

3 Likes

@simi11

Haha… I never heard of this tradition before so my OCD kicked in…:rofl:

I have to admit I was shocked beyond comprehension, but I keep forgetting how hard life was back in the days. I just realized how blessed we are bc most houses have two full bathroom, so taking a bath won’t be a problem.

Thanks for the info and taking your time to explain.

MERRY MERRY AND BRIGHT :christmas_tree:

I like that saying! I’m so thankful to @frustratedwriter and @adrianmorales for starting the holiday threads that they have recently. One of the reasons I started coming to discussions and to Kdrama is because sometimes things aren’t all that merry and bright in the drama that is our own lives! I love coming here and being positive and listening to positive music, stories, friendship, watch parties - HOTTIES with all of you!

Here is to a Very Very Merry Joyous Holidays (whatever you celebrate) to everyone! I hope that you go to a beautiful Christmas performance, The Nutcracker - find a friend - someone lonely or someone who needs JOY in their life from you!!!

Cuz isn’t that the REASON for the SEASON!!

I have many traditions I need to sit down and write them out!

I love gingerbread house making and having a Big RIB ROAST for dinner with Yorkshire pudding because that is what my mom made every year! She could make a bow on a package that rivaled anyone’s bows ever! I collect a new ornament every year and have for years from places that I go or something that might mean something that year! Then you have a whole collection that has a memory placed along side of it. A few years ago I went to the library and took out Christmas Story books alongside some books I already had - fixed up a tote and picked some primary children that I love and went to their house to read to them!!! That was so uplifting for ME! :evergreen_tree:

The funniest thing I do is that I watch “A Christmas Story” for 24 hours starting Christmas Eve - I have done it for YEARS! and you better not change the channel.

5 Likes

Growing up, I lived in a city where ALL of my immediate relatives on BOTH sides of my family also lived, as well as a lot of extended family, so holiday celebrations were large and numerous. We had too many specific goings on to share them all. However, my parents, brothers, and I adopted a special Christmas morning breakfast over time, and now that we live scattered across the state and often only have a short time together, we choose to recreate this breakfast meal no matter what time of day it is, instead of the big, traditional Christmas dinner. The sense of warmth and togetherness in the midst of the cold and dark winter days is my favorite thing of the holiday season. I have so many wonderful and comforting memories, and even though I don’t get to be surrounded by as much family anymore, it’s still easy to tap into that feeling when the sights and sounds of the holidays are everywhere.

4 Likes

Same! :blush::+1:t5::joy:

2 Likes

me too kdrama2020 and that was about 7 years ago for me. that is why I do and say stuff, the laughs, the thoughts, now that depression one, and here. I enjoy conversing with everyone, pin pals if you will!

and about the music?? wheres the little drummer boy?? the rest I love hearing them

5 Likes

Modern version

This was a song I sang once - for a nativity - although I had to give it to my piano player when I got laryngitis

2 Likes

:dizzy: Welcome, Christmas! :dizzy:

2 Likes

After bringing up all my memories here, I suddenly asked my mother what Christmases were like for her. They’re all fun and games to me because I’m still a child, but I wondered whether it was hectic and worrying for her. My mom and I ended up talking till 2AM about how big family meetings always come with their own share of tussles, but everyone still comes no matter what because in the end, hedgehogs endure being poked so that they can share heat and stay warm in cold weather. She told me that it’s always hectic but it’s the happiest time of the year.

I learned a lot last night, all thanks to this thread! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

I love that! Even when things get a little crowded and chaotic at our big family gatherings, there is still nowhere else I’d rather be, especially during the holidays.

How nice that you got to make a new cherished memory with your mom last night!

6 Likes

@vivi_1485
Write Down Your Stories - I so wish I had done that more

4 Likes

I’ve started taking more photos and videos, and I’m compiling a scrap-book! :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

still makes me tear up, loved hearing those guys!!! esp. the guy sounding like a drum>> thanks for the songs

I do remember some of the gatherings, not a bunch,the big feast of course, all the family, aunts, uncles, cousins, mom & dad, we all gathered and prayed , ate, and us kids went out to play maybe snowball fights if it snowed, or we went to the back fields and played in the old corn, we played hide & seek, and a bunco of other games, and of course the youngest (me) went through the hassel fo bullying, not the bad kind but just having fun! only two close cousins I do recall, one passed away a year or so ago, the other is somewhere in Kansas. my brother was just a little thing with that one Christmas, oh yes the Christmas story was read to us too. we did sleep over, and next morning Christmas! we gathered around, got our presents, opened them , a great time this one we had before we moved elsewhere.

3 Likes

That definitely put a big smile on my face. :grin:

2 Likes

I forgot to mention that I’m missing the tradition my mom had with her mom, my grandmother. Making Christmas cookies was usually baked with many type of doughs, one had even to rest in water. So this baking would start in the afternoon preparing these doughs and it would go all the way until everything was finished. I’m talking like till 2 or 3 am in the morning. While being in the kitchen there would be the talk of old times and drinking either wine or schnaps shots and tea. :wine_glass:
I used to carry this tradition with mom when I was younger, but then I moved away and no more… sadly I can’t carry this tradition with my daughter since we are a continent apart, but we used to bake only one or two sort of cookies together. :cookie:

Czech Christmas cookies are very elaborate, I still have some of the forms, and many cutouts!

http://www.pragueartelstyleblog.com/interviews/czech-christmas-cookie-mania.aspx

4 Likes

Soooooooo tasty :yum:

3 Likes

Can I just come over and EAT!!! YUM!!! I love cookies! :cookie:

3 Likes

You can sing along, below on yt are lyrics… this was made in Switzerland in Wallis, the southern mountainous part in Saas Fee. Michael will be missed :disappointed_relieved:

Everyone’s aging, gosh they were so young :rofl::santa:
Happy Holidays!

I wish for World Peace!! John’s words are so true… :dove::peace_symbol: lyrics are below on yt…

and one more David Bowie and Bing Crosby, what a pair :star_struck:

5 Likes

Ali, I wished I could taste them too, they are just soo good, we kept them on the balcony in the cold, so they would last…

3 Likes