Traditions -- old and new -- that you celebrate

Merry Christmas, my dear friends. Kdrama is why I came here. But you are why I stayed. :santa: :grin: :heart:

5 Likes

Merry Christmas, everyone! Iā€™m spending it at my family homeā€¦ we just got back from church and now weā€™ve set up a picnic table in the front yard with all the Christmas snacks we have :yum:

Have a wonderful time, everyone^^ Hope you all are warm and joyful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

A French treat.

1 Like

I know it only as a Swiss tradition typically during winter months that has expanded to other countriesā€¦ like France for example who is a neighborā€¦ there is also cheese fondue, yummy!

1 Like

Screenshot_20210713-165053_Messages

Screenshot_20211224-231631_YouTube

Saw this, and thought of this topic! :wink:
Plus, itā€™s that time of the year. :blush:
video is 1:10 short

2 Likes

We were talking about The Nutcracker recently, and I think it was in this topic, but I am not sure, if anyone wanted to see the ballet and didnā€™t have a chance ā€¦
Itā€™s on Viki from Japan

It has high ratings, I only took a glimpse, maybe you want to give it a try.

5 Likes

getting ready to finish the Nutcracker today

2 Likes

I broke another tradition, took down tree and other decorations , before Jan 6, wow thats new to me !

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Yā€™all

4 Likes

Happy New Year! :sparkles::confetti_ball::tada:
Iā€™m house-sitting, so I donā€™t have to bother with any of that. :sweat_smile::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

My New Years Always! My mother always always had Collards, Black Eyed Peas and Cornbread!

4 Likes

Me too, my daughter and my two sons as well, perhaps because folks go back to work and will have other dutiesā€¦ I just have to bring it in the attic which is cumbersomeā€¦
But I baked xmas cookies yesterday, lol (I bought dough and didnā€™t have time to make them) :rofl:

1 Like

Sorrel, popularly drunk during the Christmas Holiday Season in Jamaica. :jamaica:
Screenshot_20221209-110740_YouTube Screenshot_20221209-110728_YouTube Screenshot_20221209-110720_YouTube
https://youtu.be/zm9jOwV3B1g

1 Like

well being by myself now, I really donā€™t do very much anymore

2 Likes

Today at my neighborhood Y, the adult crowd had a ā€œsilly gift exchangeā€ and pizza. One of he attendees was wearing a yarmulke and that reminded me, oh boy, itā€™s time for latkes and sufganiyot!

I had a lot of Jewish friends in college, and when I started my first job after grad school, one of my coworkers taught me how to make latkes. From there it was a hop, skip and a jump to looking forward to spinning dreidels and eating Hanukkah gelt almost as much as watching Itā€™s A Wonderful Life and baking cookies for Santa.

My sister at one point before lockdown was lighting a menorah along with some of her Jewish friends.

Anyway, for those who celebrate Hanukkah fairly seriously and for those who (like me) look forward to Hanukkah food and games:

"צā€™×’ או×Øים המח: Chag urim sameach!"

(Giphy)

2 Likes

Where I live, it is the night before the Night Before Christmas, it is about four p.m., and a winter storm that news media started talking about a lot yesterday has definitely made its way across the United States to my area. It is possible that it will bring Christmas to a halt for those traveling by car, but Iā€™m not sure.

Last night, meterologists were saying that above freezing temperatures at 7:00 AM were supposed to plummet below freezing within half an hour at 9:00 AM as arctic winds and masses of snowfall created whiteout conditions that would make road travel impossible.

At 4:08 PM my time, the temperature is definitely below freezing, and the wind chill is killer, but there is only an inch of snow on the ground.

Due to the oddities of Rochester, NYā€™s electric grid, some people have lost power, but not as many as expected.

RG&E - Outage Map (rge.com)

Thirty-two years ago in March, Rochester experienced an ice storm that created major problems. Ice-coated power lines collapsed, ice-heavy tree branches snapped, fell and damaged cars, and 200,000 Rochester Gas and Electric Customers lost power for up to two weeks.

Christmas travel for people going by car may be difficult before the storm is over on Sunday, but right now, one of the four super-celebrated US holidays is fast approaching.

Since I am forced by nature to stay inside and binge-watch Viki dramas . . .

(Giphy)

I thought I would ask what family or personal traditions do folks have for this time of year?

When I was little, Santa Claus (wink, wink) would put a candy cane, a chocolate orange, a ā€œbookā€ of Lifesavers, and an inexpensive toy in our stockings.

We lived in Corpus Christi, Texas and had a fireplace where our stockings were hung; sometimes my father would have to exterminate a scorpion or two before we opened presents!

(Giphy)

2 Likes

Lovely memories. Yes please stay safe up north. Youā€™ll likely feel more up there from that western storm coming this way. Temperatures has also plummet down here in the city.

2 Likes

To day is Valborg/Walpurgis night and all over Sweden (and of course some other European countries) there will be bonfires to celebrate this day. ā€œWalpurgis Night and May Day | Visit Swedenā€ Walpurgis Night and May Day | Visit Sweden

1 Like

I wish I could be there to celebrate, bonfires puts everyone in high spirits. :blush: A little bit of the sun, up close, so to speak. So festive, that the whole country/continent joins in the festivities.