Translation error or korean culture?

so this is more a question than a comment. i have noticed in subtitles during variety shows that this is translated from korean…" this has been (actors name) until now" so i have also seen the phrase “until now” used in other contexts. as an american saying the phrase “until now” doesn’t make sense. is there a reason this is said? is the meaning lost in translation and means something else or is it just a korean phrase?

Disclaimer: I’m currently studying Korean, and I am by no means an expert so if anyone wants to add on, please do so!

I wouldn’t consider it to be either, but it falls closer to culture.

지금 까지 is the Korean phrase used in scenarios such as the one you’ve described and it literally means “until now”. As awkward as it sounds in English, it’s a very commonly used expression in the Korean language.

I find that English translations of Korean usually mimic the original wording and grammar to a large extent, making them sound unnatural to native English speakers. To a certain extent, it helps preserve the original culture and style but some could argue that it’s poor translation.

TL;DR: It’s just a Korean phrase.

1 Like