Upcoming Cdrama blockbuster "White Deer Plain" needs license

17 years of preparation - a budget of 230 million yuan - based on one of China's most famous novels - a huge cast including many veteran actors - a deep insight into Chinese contemporary history

The new Chinese blockbuster drama is coming very soon!!!

WHITE DEER PLAIN

https://www.viki.com/tv/34590c-white-deer-plain

We need your help to get this drama licensed!!!

Please follow the channel and request the license here: http://vikiinc.wufoo.com/forms/title-request-form/

Let's not miss out on this drama which has the potential to become the next big hit!

THE STORY

based on Chen Zhongshi's major novel published in 1993 which has sold almost two million copies and won notable literature prizes

White Deer Plain is the story of two landowner families, Bai (White) and Lu (Deer), over half a century and three generations, in a rural area called White Deer Plain, in Shaanxi, China. The story starts around 1900 and ends in the 1950s, the early years of the new Communist China. The characters witness all the major events that took place during that period of Chinese history, from the Revolution of 1911, which overthrew China’s last imperial dynasty, to the chaos of civil wars among warlords, the famine and plague, the first alliance between the Kuomintang (KMT) and the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) in the 1920s, the breakdown of that alliance, the Japanese invasion of China, the second alliance, the last civil war between the KMT and the CCP, and the final establishment of Communist rule in China.

The two wealthy families, Bai and Lu, battle openly and covertly, seeking dominance in the village. There is no class conflict. There are only good and evil landowners; good and evil persons in both political parties, KMT and CCP. The biggest conflicts are not between the haves and have-nots. The factor that differentiates people is not class, not economic status, but morality. Those who follow Confucian teachings, despite being landowners, are depicted as being good; those who deviate from these teachings appear irredeemably evil. However, the world sometimes seems as senseless as “a tale told by an idiot.”

(Source: criticalflame)

TRAILERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zRbm-qn6Us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Y5nEIt9NQ

THE CAST

Zhang Jia Yi plays Bai Jia Xuan

Qin Hai Lu plays Xian Cao

He Bing plays Lu Zi Lin

Lu Pei Qi plays Mr. Zhu

Li Hong Tao plays Lu San

Tian Hao Plays Yue Wei Shan

Yang Hao Yu plays Mr. Leng

Hu Yao Zhi plays Tian Fu Xian

Ge Zhi Jun plays Lu Tai Heng

Lei Jia Yin plays Lu Zhao Peng

Di Tian Lin plays Bai Xiao Wen

Li Qin plays Tian Xiao E

Sun Yi plays Bai Ling

Deng Lun plays Lu Zhao Hai

Wang Xiao plays Bai Xiao Wu

Dong Jie plays Zhang Zi Jun

Dong Ji Ta plays Hei Wa

Thank you for your help and let’s hope for good news soon!

5 Likes

After we already missed out on the current mega hit “In the Name of People”, I really hope Viki can get the license for this one

2 Likes

Did this get licensed by any service (not just Viki)?

I can barely follow what goes on. I wish there was a database or resource we could go to where it would simply list out: “here is upcoming/airing Viki licenses” and “here are the DramaFever licenses”, “here are the Netflix licenses”, etc…

It’s the same downside as Netflix. I basically have to wait for articles to be published on upcoming Netflix selection (and licenses they gave up) because I can’t find a simple tool/database that compiles it in 1 convenient, constantly updating location.

As far as I know, In the Name of People didn’t get licensed on any international streaming site

1 Like

It’s eeriely coincidental that you’d be promoting this White Deer Plain drama, and the book it’s adapted from, today. Today happens to be the first year anniversary of this well-known and well-acknowledged author’s death (73). RIP.

CR: weibo

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/1940254/chen-zhongshi-author-acclaimed-white-deer-plain-chinas-one

Even the acclaimed author, Mo Yan, kowtows to the late author Chen. Two notable quotes from the article:

If a person truly wants to read about how Chinese people think and how Chinese society runs, he shouldn’t miss the book,” said Zhao Yong, a literature professor at Beijing Normal University. “White Deer Plain is a classic".

“While Mo Yan uses Chinese language to present a quite Westernised story, Chen is using Chinese language about a Chinese story,” said Li Jianjun, a researcher of contemporary Chinese literature at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

Yup. Coming on 5-10 (but big contender, though different genre, Ode to Joy 2, comes on its heels on 5-11). So far, only webcast is confirmed, broadcast isn’t (of what I’ve skimmed through).

This drama was taken off air after its premiere episode was aired in April. Why? According to C-news reports, due to these highly probable reasons although the production house and broadcaster insisted on ‘needing more post-production work’:

1. Political sensitivity
  2. Highlighting superstition
  3. Sexual content
  4. Corruption expose

Apparently, the drama content has been somewhat ‘cleansed’, so making the cut for webcast isn’t surprising. As for broadcast, hmm… the rules are stickier. Hopefully, it’ll be given the go ahead soon. And, hopefully, Viki will get the license. This is a true classic about Chinese and the China in that era.

While waiting for the restart of webcast or restart of broadcast, for anyone who’s interested in genres like this, White Deer Plain, the novel by Chen Zhongshi, was previously adapted as a movie back in 2011/2012. Watching it back then, and again lately as a refresher due to the drama’s broadcast, it never fails to bring a lump to my throat and makes me mad at the ways of the patriarchal society back then. It still is, in many ways and everywhere, but I think in a lesser degree than that era.

@iris78 I know you’ll like this. Probably already watched? If not, go for it.

Spoilers: This movie was directed by Wang Quanan, seemingly a champion for women in that era who are in unhappy (unjust, unfair, unhealthy) relationships. It contains some disturbing content. Rating-wise, I’d say NC-17.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxYaEIeh43E

Btw, I’ve submitted a channel request for this movie. Hopefully, it gets licensed and more peeps can watch it in more languages. :triumph:

Season 2 will begin filming soon. It’s that hot!

It’s a pity that it didn’t get licensed on Viki. It topped, rather exploded!, all Chinese online and TV ratings, and is looking to be sitting prettily at the top for the whole of 2017. Let’s see if Tribes or Advisors Alliance or Win The World or some other hot drama can overtake its ratings. Chances are… unlikely, as awesome and as highly anticipated as these few named ones are. Perhaps Win The World would top it, or come close.

Can’t wait for all :slight_smile:
Viki, please, please, please license all these named dramas, and many more!:grin:

1 Like

I read this book a lot time ago the most heart wrenching story titled Chinese Cinderella story THE SECRET STORY OF AN UNWANTED DAUGHTER (Not romance or sister’s rivalry) I wished they made it into a Drama (they might have but I never found it). This book is an autobiography about a Chinese girl, Adeline Yen Mah and the horrors she went through during the war days.
Do you know anything about this story?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=ojck4vqy&id=2EDD369CC1617840A8E963A9F967E2CC9F7CCD8A&thid=OIP.ojck4vqyZqd6P9fRZV1PLwC3Es&q=chinese+c

1 Like

Really hope it is well done! Will request!

Yes. Read her books too. First book of hers I’ve read was ‘Falling Leaves’. It would be nice if her story could be filmed as a drama (I don’t think it has to-date). She’s very famous all over now. In fact, BBC had done a documentary on her. Check it out if it interests you.

2 Likes

Thanks and I didn’t know about falling Leaves i will check them out now can’t seem to fall asleep and I’m up since 7:30 am Eastern time 2 am now! lol

1 Like

Just pushing the thread up since May 10 is coming very soon and we’re still hoping for a license!

1 Like

Looks Good! I am Big Fan of C-Dramas from 1920-1950’s

1 Like

Really looking forward to this!