Viki added mandatory arbitration clause to terms of use today

Here’s a class action suit over the viki privacy policy.
Apparently viki had been automatically sharing our information with the sixth letter of the alphabet. (Note-- it’s hypocrisy that viki censors our naming that website in this forum but shares our personal information with that website.)
\https://www.classaction.org/media/ade-et-al-v-viki-inc.pdf
Viki’s attorneys belatedly realized they had left viki wide open for class action suits as well as other litigation so they added a mandatory arbitration clause to the terms of use today.
IMPORTANT: If you joined viki before September 30, 2024, you can opt out of the viki arbitration clause. Here is the opt-out form – you must use your email address on the form.
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=32852982507795
IMPORTANT-- you can only opt out if you submit the form within 30 days of your being notified of the arbitration clause.

15 Likes

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It’s mind-boggling! We thought it was only cookies (and that is bad enough), but this Pixel thingie is something else and we certainly haven’t given consent to that one.
And to think that this information is useless in the case of all paying subscribers and QC volunteers, who don’t even get ads. It’s only useful for the free visitors.

By the way, if those three people who initiated the class action win, what do they win? Just monetary compensation for them, or the code being removed?
I see on the pdf:

"Enter injunctive and/or declaratory relief as is necessary to protect the interests of Plaintiffs and Class members, including reformation of practices and an accounting and purging of wrongfully obtained personal information; "

What exactly would be “reformation of practices”?

1. removing the Pixel code? (unlikely!)
  2. Adding a consent box on the terms of service, so that you have to accept them sharing your info with Meta?
4 Likes

Ohh I doubt the EU finds this ok since they already filed lawsuits against FB, Google, Apple etc because they did something against the privacy laws we have in the EU to protect EU citizens. Will Viki or Rakuten be next? Or do they only do this for US citizens?

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!

What would one write in the field “Description”?

2 Likes

Thank you so much @cgwm808 for lettings us know ^^

Irmar, I’ve read more than once those terms through all these years and there are things I also do not quite understand.
There are more explicit clauses that can be object of abuse by malicious tech savvy users/hackers only.

Plain souls like us can only receive malware through links - One of those “gifts” was sent like a Christmas present to my Viki mail and I was “overjoyed” with the result :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

We must be very careful with the source (both the sender and the site).

2 Likes

@bozoli
For “Description” I just wrote “I opt out of the arbitration clause in the Terms of Use. I joined viki prior to 9/30/2024.”

9 Likes

Ha ha! I wrote almost exactly the same thing!

4 Likes

The ones who make money on these class action suits are the lawyers. After fees, etc. Maybe the originators of the class action suit might get a few pennies? If the data was ‘shared’ all these years, then it is out. You can’t get it back because x shared with Y, then Y shared with z & a, and those 2 shared with multipile entities. Tracking all that down and purging the data is impossible at this point. Your ‘data’ along with your soul, is on the internet and the black web.

6 Likes

Wow, this is something! I’d never have expected this from Viki!! :grimacing: :dizzy_face:
One more reason also not to use login with other website’s passwords.
No wonder it’s called Fraudbook for so many reasons I stopped using it!!

One more thing, how come “Continue to watch” is now or again working… I rejected all cookies… hmm
Digital world is just getting worse every single day without being “shadowed and followed” and fed with ads… I’m dealing with W11 now… :face_with_monocle: :woozy_face:

4 Likes

So what exactly does “opting out” actually bring us? From what I understand, the only difference between staying in and opting out is the way in which any current or future issues we might have with Viki will be solved. If we opt out, things will be dealt with in a formal way (court) and if we don’t, things will be solved in less formal ways. Whichever we choose can’t be reversed.
But how likely is it for people outside the US to take Viki to court, even if they wanted to?
In any case, I didn’t find any source that said that opting out meant opting out of the META pixel. All we can hope for is that the lawsuit we can’t possibly all be a part of will lead to the removal of the pixel. And even then, as @porkypine pointed out, the damage is already done (though I’d still prefer to stop it from continuing).

So again, what will opting out of the arbitration clause bring us, global Vikians?

3 Likes

Not exactly. If we opt out, we have the choice either of court or of less formal ways. The less formal ways are always an option. So we have nothing to lose, doing it, just in case it may be useful in the future.

As I wrote before, I find it highly unlikely that they forsake the Meta Pixel. However, even if there is a separate consent form for it where someone can choose not to have it, then this will benefit all those who come from now on. And, frankly, although for us the data is out, still it’s not a bad idea that they stop monitoring whatever we do.
After all, we have some control over the cookies, we can set our browser options to delete them after each session. But this Meta thingie, we have no control over.

I have the impression that for now the matter concerns principally people living in the US.
I had forgotten my vee pee enne (sorry, not sure the word will be allowed) set to America before coming to Viki, and I found in front of me something that I hadn’t seen before.

Does this mean that this update is only for US-based people? I don’t know, but normally I don’t see this little window.

4 Likes

I got a mail regarding this from Viki.
I am unable to understand it nor I know what to do about that.

1 Like

Read the first messages. There’s a link that cgwm808 provided, with a form, to opt out of the new clause so that you still have all your options available just in case you need them. This has to be done before the end of the month, otherwise you won’t be able to do it anymore.

Thank you for sharing such important information.