Viki Changes and Viki Pass

You are welcome!!^^

That is why I mention the reward system. If Viki found some way to check a channel moderator for the appropriate skills to manage having a decent output in that language, each language would have a person capable of assigning level of skills to each subber. There can be a system where peopleā€™s amount and quality of work can be measured. Itā€™s tough, but there could be.

And since Viki is a company now, I feel they should mind the quality and not allow horrible speakers to do subbing. It worked fine until now, it was free, but if someone pays 4 dollars to get that series in Portuguese and then finds out the subbers are horrible, they lost their money.

Maybe Viki could form some professional teams whose subs would bring in a bigger fee and then clearly separate those from the lower-level amateurs. Something simply has to be done about that, the minute money for these services came into play.

If those perks are enough, that is fine. What I am saying is that to an outsider, it seems like their value would not match some of the work done. But I hope that, if Viki does abuse its workforce at any point, said workforce would not allow it. If the majority of subbers do not currently mind, I have to assume things are quite ok for them at the moment.

@OrionsRamblings Sure, itā€™d be great to have amazing sub quality for all languages. But like you said, itā€™d be difficult. And especially so when you consider how many languages some shows get translated into. I mean, I suspect for some languages, there are only a handful of translators really working with it.

And I sort of get the whole business-mind thing. Viki is a business, there are monetary transactions and stuff, butā€¦

At least in my mind, the whole point of Viki was to create a platform for fansubbing (and itā€™s got a very nice platform for it) and to bring together fansubbers into this community. Of course, people who sub should do their best at it. But the more you bring ā€œprofessionalsā€ and paying subbers into play, the more it deviates from its purpose? To me anyway. Or maybe thatā€™s not what Vikiā€™s about anymore, I donā€™t know.

1 Like

I thought you would answer like that. I agree in a certain way, because I wouldnā€™t pay for those subtitles if they were poor quality (fortunately I watch all the dramas in English and English subtitles are good). But thatā€™s also why I said that some people donā€™t mind those horrible subtitlesā€¦ they wouldnā€™t mind paying 4 dollars to watch videos with poor subtitles. Itā€™s their choice to pay, nobody forced them. Many of them canā€™t find those videos translated into Portuguese elsewhere, so they donā€™t care. Besides, we have good quality subtitles in Portuguese as well (Iā€™m not saying that all of them are poor quality).

The question is not about who pays, itā€™s about ā€œpayingā€ subbers and segmentersā€¦

Anyway, what you suggested would probably take years to implement, and viki just added the viki pass. I think changing all of a sudden is almost impossible. We have to wait a little bit and see how things will work from now on.
Iā€™m just saying that we donā€™t have immediate answers for now. Viki is changing and itā€™s not a small change. Maybe in 2 years from now Viki will be completely different from what it is today. Who knows? Itā€™s too soon to know!

1 Like

I think it deviated from its purpose the minute it was bought by and turned into a money-making business. Which is great, because it can offer and is offering much better things now. Donā€™t get me wrong, as a European fan, I am so happy I can finally pay for my entertainment and reward those who make it. But the change is undeniable. So its new goals and methods should match its new nature. That is what I feel.

And yes, I am aware a new subbing system, raising the quality and assessing contribution is hard, but I do feel it should be within the plans or at least consideration of any company which is accepting money for its services.

If a friend asked me money to sew my bra, I would no longer accept anything less than professional work. She shouldnā€™t ask for good compensation if it makes my ladies a different shape each. Iā€™d buy her a drink, but thatā€™s about it.

I just think people should talk more about these issues in a civilized and serious manner, rather than be split into those who go all ā€œViki sucks, Iā€™m leavingā€ or then ā€œStop it, you haters! Your opinion does not matterā€. It does matter and it should be conveyed in a useful manner, not just as a half-baked complaint.

I understand the logic behind the users not minding to pay, but what I was saying is that users not minding to pay and subbers not minding not having pay does not make it ok from the employerā€™s standpoint.

There are people who donā€™t mind paying for bad shoes that split at the seams, but does that make the company asking for good money for work badly done morally correct? And if someone made those shoes because they like it, does it make the company which takes that free work and profits from it righteous?

But yes, as you say, it takes time for change. This just happened and itā€™s by no means a done deal, neither do I see Viki as a bunch of evil old men rubbing their hands in glee, with dollar signs in their eyes. I am sure Viki is working on these issues as we speak, but thereā€™s no harm in mentioning them.

I do think Viki has a unique chance to really bring quality foreign entertainment to the world on a scale unlike anything seen before and within a legal frame. It has taken way too long for legal, fast and quality options like this to come along. I sincerely hope it can do great. Picturing drama/movie fans enjoying wonderful, legal and affordable entertainment soon is a wet dream for us all. :smiley:

LOL How would I know, as I once mentioned Viki likes to talk about that they are working in a transparent way, but the thing is, that most of the time, when they make changes, Viki lacks profound information about it.

In this case it depends on werther Shorty sees the label of the Viki Pass at his/her account or not.

Let me add something about subbing quality too.
Not so long ago a subber had all his/her subs removed because they where stolen from an other site. We did notice that something was off because the subs didnā€™t match the segments at all. It was reported to Viki and they took action. Viki is against google translate translations so if you can prove that someone only uses google translate to sub report it to Viki.
Viki canā€™t always tell a sub is good or bad so they canā€™t do anything about it if nobody does report it and tells them.

If you see a bad sub you can contact your language mod/editor. If there is none you can edit it yourself :slight_smile:

3 Likes

About the quality of subs that is a whole different story, donā€™t get me started.
When I began subbing, my language is German, there were and till today there are bad German subs.
When I got my QC all you needed where 650 subs, I did them on my first day and became QC 3 days later. By now I have a bit more, but I also took 2 breaks from Viki, first time I had technical issues, that prevented me from subbing. And the second time when those big changes were made earlier this year. That was the time for me to let go and bury the old Viikii spirit from the past years.
In all those years we contributor asked for a better way to get rid of the bad subbers, but either you got the policy form Viki to not discourage anyone to sub. My thoughts were fine, someone subs horrible in every way possible, wrong translation in addition to mistakes and grammar, or just carelessness.
When I took my first moderator job, I got told, you as the moderator are responsible for the edit of the subtitles, that was in 2010!!! I had two options either find an editor or do it myself. I had someone helping me, but I had to edit too. I was thanksful that the subbers I worked with were from other projects and I knew them and their skills.
Sure there are people that are not that bothered by bad subs, but there are others who canā€™t even take it for 1 minute.
I am glad my English is not too bad. But for only German sub users I feel sorry.
And whenever Viki advertises the number of languages and the numbers of subtitles, ā€¦
Well, you probably saw enough k-dramas to guess what my intestines look like in that moment.
P.S. I try to stay away from meddling to much with bad subs 'cause editing takes about 4 times, what pure subbing takes. And I got some bashing once, so I am doing my own projects now one by one but it need a lot, lot of time.

1 Like

Thatā€™s true, but as long as Vikiā€™s an open source itā€™ll be impossible to avoid all bad subbers.

Some languages have few subbers and others have many. Portuguese belongs to the last group.

I try my best whenever I can, but we have new abusers every week. We also have teams poorly formed. Even though I want to help as much as I can, I canā€™t do what you suggested all the time.

What youā€™ve said might work here and there, but sometimes itā€™s harder than that :frowning:

I still canā€™t get into my Viki Pass so I give up! I tried to cancel my subscription and checked the link provided in the original confirmation to Account Settings and supposedly there is a ā€œView Settingsā€ link to unsubscribe. However, there was no ā€œView Settingsā€ link. FRUSTRATING! My credit card was compromised and a new card is being issued to me and hopefully when Viki tries to charge me after the trial period, it will not go through!! So disappointed as I wanted to watch Viki without ads! If I could reach someone at Viki directly, I would send this information to them but canā€™t reach anyone directly as far as I know. I appreciate all the subbers that volunteer their time.

@Luzevedo yes I know itā€™s hard, most likely even impossible with a site as huge as Viki and so many languages but I think even a little bit of help here and there might help :slight_smile:

@fumi_ito contact the helpcenter, itā€™s most likely a bug.

Yes, I agree with you :slight_smile:

I am trying to get the QC but its kind of hard to find jobs when people only want super experienced editors. How do i find more jobs to become more experienced?

You have 2000 segments, you could try to apply for QC status now if you wanted.

In any case, there are tons of smaller channels and fan channels that would probably welcome help. Are you only open to editing?

iā€™ve already applied for the QC status but i havent gotten a reply yet. also i only know how to edit at the moment because i just started editing this past june or july. i dont really know how to do other things on viki yet and im just starting to get active gain because im finally settling in to school.

Iā€™m using Adblock right now and it blocks the ads. o-o

I agree that subtitles are horrible, but it is the same with English subtitles. Much of the translations are poor or outdated. My mother and I often laugh at the idioms and the language used. We are both English majors with several courses in linguistics. I have volunteered to edit, but I never get a reply to do so. Many people editing are not doing a very good job. It saddens me at times reading translations that are mundane and repetitive. Vocabulary is reduced to the basics. I find this to be true with Dramafever too. One thing about Dramafever is that they have a lot of bugs. It literally takes 3-6 months for Dramafever to fix them. Paying for Viki makes me wonder if we will have the same problems. I also would like to see Viki work with ROKU as well.

1 Like

I tried to subscribe, but I got a message that I had typed in my number wrong. I didnā€™t, but I kept getting the same error message. I finally gave up after many attempts on different days. Now you have me worried about credit card safety and our payments being compromised. A major problem I find with Viki is that it is to send an email when having problems. I am sorry that you got compromised. This is a very serious issue that Viki needs to address.