[Viki Community Team] An Update on Editor Roles and Rewards

Hi everyone,

We want to say thank you to the over 450 Editors who shared their thoughts in an April survey so that we could gain a first-hand understanding of their role and its impact on the community.

You helped validate the level of effort involved in editing, and specifically, the responsibility of a Translation Editor to understand the whole drama – the entire plot, all the dialogue, and the cultural references in order to ensure consistency across names, terms, and subbing conventions.

It is with this confirmation that the team has decided to adjust the current rewards system to reward Translation Editors for the level of effort involved. Starting next Wednesday, August 14th PDT, the reward for translation editing will be increasing by one contribution point. A specific Editor role for Translation Editors is being created and will be released on the same day. Once that role is ready, anyone assigned to a Translation Editor (TE) role will earn two (2) points instead of one (1) for every one subtitle that they edit (e.g. translation/cultural reference checked and additional cultural reference added, when needed).

We also asked you if combining the Translation Editor (TE) and General Editor (GE) roles was a good idea. Many of you shared that the TE and GE roles have different responsibilities and that keeping them separate helps ensure quality subtitles and contributes to team efficiency. Based on this feedback, we will be keeping the TE and GE as separate roles.

We also wanted to talk about a new item that was shared with us during the survey feedback and NSSA conversations. This is that our current pool of active and skilled Translation Editors has become very very small. Due to this shortage of available TEs and the weight to release to other languages quickly, we understand that Chief Editors (CE) have been taking on translation editing in addition to their Chief Editor responsibilities. If you are a CE, we recognize you may need to continue contributing as a hybrid CE/TE/GE, so please make sure to assign yourself the TE role if you are also doing translation editing so you can be rewarded properly.

As the landscape of streaming continues to shift, Viki has decided to pre-sub all titles in Portuguese in addition to the already pre-subbed titles in English. This will help Viki stay competitive with other streaming platforms. Starting on August 14th, 2024 PDT, English and Portuguese Subtitlers can continue contributing by transitioning to editing. We understand that this change may come with mixed feelings at first, but we want you to know that we care about this community and hope that you’ll continue to be a part of it.

In order to help English & Portuguese Subtitlers with this transition, we are supporting NSSA in a new exciting endeavor – the creation of an English Editing academy. This academy will be dedicated to the art of editing and providing training specific for the TE, CE, and GE roles. Plans for this new academy are currently underway. Look for updates under the NSSA Discussions category, as this new academy gets ready to formally open its door to students this coming fall.

We understand the Contributor landscape has changed over the past few months, but we can assure you that this community is not going anywhere! We also understand that you may have conflicted feelings about these shifts. We simply ask that if you do express your feelings, that you do so respectfully, and take a moment to understand the challenging balance Viki must maintain as both a business and a community. We all share a common goal of wanting to spread the joy of Asian dramas globally to fans worldwide.

Thank you for all that you do. We sincerely thank you for being a part of this community, and a part of our mission to connect fans and bridge cultures.

–Viki Community Team

43 Likes

Thank you :wink:

3 Likes

Usually Translation Editors came from the pool of Ko-En, J-En, Chi-En subbers. As they gained experience, they gradually transitioned from subbing to editing - and often continued to do both. Now that those subbers have been made to flee Viki, it’s difficult that a good translation editor pops out of nowhere.
Will a 4-week training at the new Editing Academy be enough?It will surely establish some solid bases, but still a lot of experience on the “battlefield” will be needed to get them to the point of being a proficient TE.

9 Likes

Thank you for your efforts in maintaining this wonderful community. I’m sure that as long people understand and move forward, and if they are focused more on the present and future, and what we can do good for the entire community from now on (through NSSA and any other tool) while keeping in mind that this is still a volunteering activity, everything will be better and beneficial for everyone. :dove:

200w

8 Likes

Apparently, you have no idea how much effort is involved in being a CE.

8 Likes

Too bad it didn’t help. After all this time, this is what you come up with? I remember the survey suggesting all editors might get rewarded but now, only the TEs are being favored? Seriously? So you still don’t see all the efforts of the other editors?
All editors work hard. How hard, depends on many factors, but fact is that the CE has to edit every single episode ánd carry all the responsibility. Other editors may run off or be sloppy, but the CE can’t do that. They are the ones being blamed if any editor makes a mistake. They are the ones being blamed if the whole process doesn’t go fast enough for someone’s taste, even if it’s someone else’s fault. They solely take all the stress factors involved.
This is yet another slap in the face handed out by Viki to some of its hardworking, experienced volunteers.

Only if we actually do TE work? So not if our GE does a sloppy job or even runs off? And where does TE work even stop? If I look up a term and add a translator’s note because no one else did, can I consider myself doing “TE work”?

11 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to our feedback and putting effort into maintaining this wonderful volunteer communitiy.

With NSSA, it will help us attract more English Editors and providing a space for us to connect with each other as we enjoy this hobby together. And of course, watching great Asian dramas.

I look forward to working with all the volunteers, old and new.

Again, thank you for putting effort into enhancements that will benefit the volunteers at Viki!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::two_hearts:

Cartoon gif. A chain of flowers, endlessly growing out of each other in the shape of a heart.|100%x100%

12 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to talk with us volunteers and gather our opinions and feedback! I truly appreciate the transparency you’ve shown in your decision-making process, and it’s reassuring to know that this community is here to stay.

I’m genuinely excited about the upcoming start of NSSA and the opportunity to collaborate with all the incredible volunteers we have here.

11 Likes

Good evening,

and so you deny the work of language editors? Because you only talk about CEs and TEs, but simple editors who adapt comprehension to their language are worth nothing to you?

So we have to keep letting “My foot” become “Mon pied”?

Just like we have to stupidly obey the CE/TE and let them make their mistakes?

your decisions are incomprehensible… devoid of common sense!

6 Likes

Here’s my opinion, and I know it might not be widely shared.

To me, a system like this, based on volunteering (even when done responsibly and with dedication), remains just that—volunteering. Here, if we start distributing ‘rewards’ favoring some over others, resentment and bitterness are inevitable. The only ‘hierarchy’ (difference) that should exist here, in my opinion, is strictly limited to the translation workflow, with the sole purpose of defining roles within a team to achieve a common goal—the translation itself. Therefore, to me, this doesn’t make sense at all.

If we venture down the path of determining who deserves more, we inevitably risk being unfair to someone.
Let me give you an example: Who says an OL subber shouldn’t be rewarded as much as a TE? Don’t they also know at least two languages, just like TEs, and perform a delicate task, translating into their language what they can skillfully read in another?

More: Senseis may not be better or worse than other volunteers. Should they receive special rewards as well? Does a simple subber not dedicate just as much, if not more, time on this platform as many others? Some do, right?

Another example: Who says CMs shouldn’t be rewarded as much as others? After all, they’re in charge of the entire translation team, right? Isn’t that also a responsibility worth being ‘rewarded’?

You can see how this could go on indefinitely.

We are sometimes too focused on a number (subtitles) that ultimately means nothing—neither competence nor skill nor knowledge (if it’s just copy-paste work).

It’s nice to feel appreciated for our volunteering, and Viki should find a way to do that without creating envy or hostility. Let’s not fall into the trap of turning against each other. Let’s not play that game.

24 Likes

For me… I don’t see this “volunteering” anymore. As we all read on this topic, started by VIKI itself, openly, PT translators for example, are not needed anymore. I’m considering to stop my activities and just watch here, or just don’t come by anymore and watch dramas somewhere else. Funny that competition can overcome dedication and passion. (Should we pick a side then?)
And… a role that can gain 2 points over others that is also important? :wink: Well done, VIKI.

I sincerely try to give good compliments to @viki.com, but day after day I see and have to face a decline of the platform that I used to enjoy helping.
I’ll be giving a try once again, against my true desire, but if things get worse… I’m afraid that we all will disappear without a trace.

That’s my interpretation and fear.

4 Likes

I would like to say thank you too. Great news for the TE community. They are doing so much as well for us, as volunteers, and for the people who watch viki too. I think this is the first step to slowly but steadily getting what we want. Everything takes time, and we also need to see how things work out. I personally am happy for this, and hopig this will be a huge motivation for our Te’s and give more episodes, OST’s, and filled segments. But in the meantime, this voluntier “job” from their part too, and everyone does their best already to keep up with family, a real job, and life. Be nice to each other.

7 Likes

I agree. As much as the role of English team is important for all the subsequent languages, I’m not sure an English TE consistently spends more time on their task than the subber/editor/mod of another language.

[ Remembers the times when finding one plant name took 10-15 minutes. ]

11 Likes

They are now specifically spending their time creating a separate TE role for the sole purpose of preventing other (English) editors from getting those extra points. What does that tell you?

9 Likes

Whats tell me? As I wrote… Everything takes time. Everything. So now take it as a first step. But as any English editor sour or not happy about this, tell me a lot. This is for everybody a hobby, right? Then why try to put others in bad situations and feel bad as they “revarded” with one more point? I see as they want to keep the English team. As I see so many of the TEs gone and teams stugling to find somebody or keep up the dramas in a good timely manner. So this might help in the future. Take it as a first step. And as an English editor, she does her hobby and “job” on viki, just to get more “points,” which is more likely a sad ending. But I hope and I believe this is not the case for most of us who are here and enjoying the “work” on Viki. And Happy any improvements, and take it as positive feedback for us when something like this new came out. Think about the whole and not for one person’s needs. As we are all together as a team, we can make it work better. The whole English team and as segmenters, CS, TE, GE, CE, or whatewer. All ad to the whole, and we can do anything and everything together. But for that, we need to work together and not be jealous just as that one got “one more point” or so…

1 Like

I am not putting anyone in a bad situation.

What will they do if all the GEs and CEs run off because of this? We now have a lack of TEs, but that hasn’t always been the case. Any volunteer, no matter the role, might run off if Viki doesn’t treat them well.
And how exactly is this going to help us get more TEs or make the existing TEs work harder? The ones with a passion for the job already do what they can.

I am.

I am not jealous. And I’m not blaming the TEs either. Frankly, outside of subathons or the moments I need to renew my QC status, I don’t worry too much about contributions. I’m already a Gold QC. What more is there to gain? If that was my main goal, I wouldn’t have focused mostly on segmenting the last few years (when there was not much to gain there). I’m just doing my best to deliver good work.
My point here is just that Viki is not treating people fairly. It doesn’t matter if that is me or anyone else. Aside from the “reward,” Viki is basically saying that TEs are more worthy than other editors, that they need special treatment. I don’t agree with that. If we are a team like you said, then we all need to be treated equally.

11 Likes

Guys…

Let’s take a step back. First, no one is forcing you to stay in this volunteer community. Viki is a company first and foremost that is managed by real employees.

Since I have join this community 4 years ago, I have heard some complaints but not much movement.

But holy cow, in the last year, our community has so many improvements.

1 - CM process clarification

2 - Segmenters work on A&C and point system

3 - subathon badges… took our suggestion on we all should get every badge count so we don’t have to stop at a certain level to get certain badges

4 - quick response to our mailbox 429 error

Now…

5 - now the English Editor Academy

6 - a TE role on team and point system

With every change, there are going to be the good and the bad that comes with it.

In every company, it takes time for change and there are processes to follow. But I am sure more changes will be coming and for the good of this community.

The English community has taken a hit with all shows coming with pre-sub, we lost a lot of volunteers. This is to appreciate them because without the English team every other language team will need to be proficient in at least languages to translate to one’s main language. Now if you disagree with the English translations, reach out and I am sure the English team will work with you.

Let’s be positive and uplift each other instead of putting each other down by taking about each other behind close doors or spread hate. We are a team, CM, CS, CE, GE, TE, and Other Language Teams.

Let’s work together to improve our community and enjoy this hobby together.

15 Likes

And with “team,” you mean the TEs?

4 Likes

No I mean CE, GE and TE.

TE is the first to review the subtitles to ensure accuracy.

GE reviews grammar, spelling, and viki formatting.

CE does final review of subtitles for grammar, spelling, viki formatting, and rephrasing not to take away from its original meaning.

If you have a question, it’s best to contact the English editors. We are all human and make mistakes. But if we have open communication and work as a team, this makes our hobby funnier and quality subtitles for all of us to enjoy.

2 Likes

I think the bigger languages also have different editors, one to check accuracy of translations, one to check the grammar, and maybe a final one. I think it would be nice if the TE role could also be used for OL editors considering most have to check the translations from the English to the OL language because sometimes subbers just get it wrong.

However, I think it’s great that Viki is trying to listen to us and improve things even if it step by step.

9 Likes