[Viki Community Team] February 2021 Updates - Editor Role Coming Soon!

India too? Most Indians I’ve met during my numerous long travels there spoke British English. Maybe the very new generation, I don’t know. But educated Indians spoke with a veryobvious British accent. Many of the wealthy ones also send their kids to study in the UK.

In Europe, although the Michigan examination has been gaining popularity, it is nowhere as prestigious as the Cambridge FC and Proficiency, and those who can afford it go to the British Council for lessons.

2 Likes

Hi Irmar.

It’s been mixed with those from India and Sri Lanka. When I reflect a little more on it, though, I think you are correct. More Indian students have a British sounding overlay. With the other countries I mentioned, though, the overlay is more likely to be American rather than British.

Because the Australian accent developed from various English accents, I find it easy to hear the American influence. If I don’t hear any specific influence, then, rightly or wrong, I assume it’s more likely to be British. I have never asked students about this, though, so I could be wrong. [I’m always cautious when I use the word “assume” because an astute friend once told me that it makes an “ass” out of “u” and “me”.]

Thank you for making me ponder this a little more deeply. I appreciate it.

All the best,
Manganese

4 Likes

Also “Messer” for scalpel, in medical dramas, no?

1 Like

Messer is a German word. It has several meanings like knife, razor (Rasiermesser), cutter as a part of a machine and others.

There is a very common phrase “jemanden unters Messer legen” (lit. to put someone under the knife/scalpel) which means someone will be operated, right. But surgeons and other doctors would prefer to say “Skalpell”.

Messer Etymologie

3 Likes