Viki Wants Releases Before English Editing

PLEASE enlighten me. Is it still on Viki? If so, please send me the name of it or say it here. I need more excellence in my life!!!

1 Like

I thought I would update everyone about what is happening on new shows or dramas since I started this discussion thread.

1. The Channel Managers are told to release episodes to other language subbers as soon as they pass Quality Check by the Chief Segmenter.

2. Many dramas are also coming pre-s ubbed in Spanish and Portuguese. (I canā€™t believe the word was censored!)

3. After an episode is released by the English Team, the Other Language Moderators are doing their final edit on the episode.

An episode loaded on Monday. It took the Viki Staff one day and evening to segment and sub it. Our CS got the message to start segmenting during my late Tuesday night or Wednesday dawn. Wednesday morning when I logged on, the episode had passed QC by our CS or by noon my time at the latest. She did much of the segmenting herself to meet the deadline!

It took me 8-12 hours to edit, explain idioms, correct formatting, spelling, grammar, etc. on each episode, plus load on Team Notes the new characters, terminology and OST lyrics. On one episode, a characterā€™s name would be written with different spelling by the different subbers. So I had to maintain consistency and avoid plot holes within episodes and from episode to episode.

On episodes, the s ubbed OST lyrics were often different. I listened to two or more versions of the same lyric on different episodes to match the consistency, as only a partial lyric may be on each episode. I matched all flashbacks with previous episodes, and I always matched previews with the next episode.

I waited 1-3 days for my Translation Editors TEs to have time to check everything as they have busy jobs in real life. Then I formatted their edits and released each episode to OL Mods. I always had the episodes released before the next weekā€™s episodes loaded.

I will always use TEs when I can get them. I much prefer to use my GEs. They catch two or three mistakes in formatting, grammar and spelling per segment so itā€™s less work and time spent for me. But I could not expect them to work under extreme time pressure.

Our Chief Segmenters are now working under high pressure due to these new demands. Many have struggled with illness. We may not realize the toll that it takes on our Chief Segmenters, and we editors are surely not the only ones affected.

15 Likes

There is nothing worst, than to see different interpretations, and be listening to the same script.
You are AmaZing, as ALwaYs! Thank You! :blush:

We do need a good solution. . . . :thinking:

@brendas, @vikicommunity, @amm11,
To all fans reading,
What is a best solution? We need to take the pressure off where it does not belong, and satisfy a demand.

5 Likes

It should be as it was. Segmenting by volunteers, CS, subbed, TE, GE and then the final release from the CE.
Itā€™s thrice the work than before. And not every language community is large and has 50 subbers or so.
We all have a life, work, fam, some get sick and then we should release episodes within 24 hours? That is no quality.
One day, there will also be no segmenters anymore, because A&C is a lot of work, but you canā€™t get a lot of contributions from it.

14 Likes

The reason why you see it that way is because you look at it as a viewer and a RViki volunteer and not as a CEO/Owner of this site ā€˜ā€˜seeā€™ā€™ this things. They are trying to keep their paying customers, and the paying customers are demanding to see a drama within 24 hour of its release (other sites do it). Is Wednesday 8:33 am by me, and Iā€™m already watching a drama (at another site not here) that the released days are Wednesday/Thursday. Thatā€™s what you call fast, but YES Quality has declined in the subtitles a WHOLE lot. I have seen a decline so drastic on N/P/F/T and it has to do with rushing through their translation.
AI is taking over and with time volunteers will be a thing of the past and even paid subbers, too.

1 Like

So no subbers at all? In that case, I also predict the English language in itself (and possibly OL) to suffer. Imagine kids growing up with AI subs and how that would affect their sense of languageā€¦ :scream:

6 Likes

mirjam_465
Imagine kids growing up with AI subs and how that would affect their sense of language

*If the School System in their respective country do their job right, AI influence on any given OL will have very little to any bad effect in the kids growing up with AI.

As far as Iā€™m concern the sites I watch and my kids pay for, most dramas/movies are lately subbed now by AI, and although the dramas are ready for watch very early in the morning; the subtitles are getting very crappy. Thereā€™s a lot of she when is a he, and vice versa. They give no credits to any subbers, and the dramas are only available in English. There are a lot words used incorrectly and Iā€™m taking notes of those to send a complaint to the various sites I watch since we are paying so they need to fix that issue.
Hopefully, this is just an experimental stage, and wonā€™t stay like that forever, but so far on the news we haveā€¦

[IMPORTANT information]

What is Google doing with AI?

chat to Gmail and Docs. Google is giving access to artificial intelligence capabilities in Gmail and Google Docs to a small number of users as part of a test. The company plans to bring additional generative AI features to its Chat, Meet, Sheets and Slides applications.Mar 14, 2023

AI Translation Sources in 2023

In recent years, AI translation sources have made significant progress. ChatGPT, a large language model trained by OpenAI, based on the GPT-3.5 architecture, is one such example. ChatGPT has the ability to translate between languages and communicate with people in a way that feels more natural than earlier tools.

Another example is the Google Neural Machine Translation (GNMT) system, which uses neural networks to produce translations.
This post was originally published May 21, 2021. It has been updated to include new information.

2 Likes

It will have a tremendous effect, especially now that the majority hardly reads a book anymore. There is only so much the school system can do. The rest comes from input, in this case, very bad iput. And at some point, no one will notice the mistakes anymore cause those who could will have gone extinct. As a result, there will be a new standard of what is ā€œcorrectā€ and the language will change fundamentally.

Good idea.

It has improved and will improve more, but for translations, it will never be able to replace humans with a completely satisfying result. Of course, since quality is put aside for the sake of quantity nowadays (whether made by humans or A.I. alike), A.I. will probably gain ground. But it will come with a price.

4 Likes

I agree with Mirjam AI is good in a way but a robot doesnĀ“t understand the nuances of a language. No one I know speaks swedish like google or similar funktion. I put down more than words when im working on subtitelsā€¦

6 Likes

@mirjam_465
In recent years, AI translation sources have made significant progress.

That was not my personal opinion: I took a piece from the article so you have an idea what the article was about more like an intro to get the reader to click on the link (we learn that in College) since most people never bother to go into the link and read the information.

AI has a long way to go, and in my personal opinion unless they take care of some important matters, we will be reading crap for subtitles.

• [AI] failed to use the question marks, exclamation points that is so important in the subtitles since it shows [EMOTIONS] in the scenes.
  • They can hardly differentiate Male from Female; so for example: Dr. Cha a female is oftentimes described as HE in many of the episodes (which burns me up!).
  • I donā€™t know how or why I am seeing so much cursing in dramas/movies, I know the actor/actress has not mentioned in the scene.

Examples:
Aigo or Aish (said by the actor) are translated as Gā€¦ Dā€¦ b a s t a r d D*** Jerk.
Aish in one scene was added as: I can k i l l you. (really? I was extremely annoyed).
They using a lot MY BAD instead of My Fault and so on.
Like I said, Iā€™m making notes with episodes and time noted in them.

Iā€™m saying this dramas are translated by [AI] because I canā€™t find the name of the person who did the translation like in other dramaā€™s Iā€™ve been watching.

I think DR.CHA is one of the worst damas translated at [NX]

Is really bothering me a lot since it first began I have send feedbacks and have not seen any improvements so farā€¦

@maria_lavendula_77
a robot doesnĀ“t understand the nuances of a language.

We have very little saying when these big companies want to make these kind of changes. Here at RVIKI as long as they exclude AI out of the subtitles, and if they keep recruiting volunteers and paid subbers; you guys wonā€™t be dealing with those kind of issues.
Honestly, I donā€™t know how long that will take, but I do know is happening in the several sites we are paying to watch, and if you ask me, is not looking good at all.

2 Likes

They have never fully excluded A.I. from subtitles. They buy subtitles from content providers that (in some cases) use A.I. and theyā€™ve at least experimented with using it themselves. And then the English team has to fix the mess.

I know.

Then maybe the viewers should take an active stand and threaten to end their subscription if the subs donā€™t improveā€¦

2 Likes

I donā€™t pay to watch those sites; my oldest and youngest daughter do, and my ex-husband pays for the HBO max subscription of those sites. I do sent lots of feedbacks as a viewer, but thatā€™s all Iā€™m limited to do. Since my family are not into watching Asian content (which are the ones mainly affected), they no longer help with my complaining regarding the poor subs quality lately in Asian dramas/movies.

Itā€™s sad because they were really good quality in the past. This just started all of a sudden which is really weird, and I canā€™t understand this whole scenario. Especially Dr. Cha which is very popular now (one of the most popular #10 series to watch). I highly recommend it bad subbing and all. Well, episode 11 ready. getting pen and paper ready to take notesā€¦

1 Like

Beverley is in rehab now and will be going home, hopefully soon :blush:
But sheā€™s already back on Viki :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

5 Likes