Volunteering at Viki doesn't count?

I stated it kind of like this.
Volunteer work on Viki (Also stated what Viki is):

• Subtitling(translating) content from English to Dutch.
  • Segmenting of content so the subtitles appear in sync with the audio.

I don’t think I stated moderating and managing now I think about it. Ohh and I don’t state how much I do and I will never give them my username.

I would never give my username, no way!!!

Thanks, I’ll work with this.

To be honest, when I think of “volunteering,” I do tend to think more towards helping with nonprofits or something. Maybe it’s just that Viki isn’t really a “standard” kind of volunteer activity, if that makes sense.

Rather than listing it as volunteering, couldn’t you also just list it under experience? Or some heading like that, depending on how you set up your CV.

Well, I have many years of work experience in my field, so it wouldn’t add much. It only makes sense as volunteering.

Personally I think it fits better as volunteer work then as experience… Because it’s so different then everything else and doesn’t match with any of my degrees or other work experience and over here if you list it as experience people think you did it as a job/part of a job and even ask why I’m not looking for something in that field instead.

2 Likes

I admire the non-profits’work, but I also try to remember those in need who live under the radar because of fear, of shame, of social pressure, of illness or ignorance.

I think that, if we look at the houses, the schools, the park benches and the infirmaries near us, we will find many opportunities to do voluntary work that doesn’t fit in a non-profit’s to-do list.

Here at Viki, I like to think that I help people with no language skills to enjoy foreign dramas. No big deal, sure, the fact that the Heroine got the Hero’s mobile number is not a life-changing experience.

Behind this simple task, though, there is a hidden world of results that I value as a person. For example, widening the horizons of people with no access to education, by providing a “window” to different cultures. Or, helping those with mobility issues to enjoy something other than reality TV. Or, pushing racism a little bit further away.

3 Likes

the lines:

• currently on air
  • added new episodes and
  • trending in usa
    are all interwined, meaning repeating itself kind of…

One line of boxes has even coming soon which is confusing

Too much of good did not come out well or so I think, again why changing things that were good and easy on the eye, I’m totally perplexed about this action, now you scroll and scroll and scroll into neverending scrolling… am I a robot :blush:

“it’s not the size that matters” :wink:

This topic went in a different direction now but about the certificate: I’m not sure about other countries but I have always been told not to include too many certificates, because no one wants to have all that paper or takes the time to read it. So one would mention the certificate but not give it to the people unless they ask for it.
For example I took a language test and I also mention the test result, but I don’t include the certificate for that, because it is not the main point of what I do, just a “nice to have”.

1 Like

Yes, I asked about the certificate because it’s nice to have it in my portfolio and to be able to show it to people, in case they ask. I also asked Viki to write my true name on the certificate, not my username in here, because you never know where you might need a document.

I wouldn’t include the exact test result in a language test (you obviously passed if you mention it in your CV), unless they asked specifically. And I have really high scores.

In some jobs, when they have to showcase experience and skills of their employees for certain reasons, they might ask you to procure every single thing that enhances your CV, after they hire you. HR can be hoarders.

2 Likes

I see ^^ so you thought everything through already. :slight_smile:

There are language tests like TOEIC where you cannot fail but the score tells you your level and people specifically ask you to have at least a score of *something. Therefore the result ^^ otherwise I don’t include that either.

Oh, and good luck :four_leaf_clover:

Resumes, CV’s, can be interesting items.

Mine…if I write everything on it, tends to NOT get me hired.

Examples of things I leave off ANY resume:

1. My major in college. Sometimes I even leave the fact I possess a degree OFF.
  2. The sport I compete in and yes, volunteer in internationally as a coach and referee.
  3. The more obvious things that lead to discrimination - indicators of age and/or marital status.
  4. Test scores.

As a woman, one has to be far more careful about honesty in one’s own achievements and life if you are to be employed. If possible, one has to tailor your achievements and goals carefully to be hired, because mostly the hiring parties are male and desire not to be overshadowed by underlings…mostly female.

I wish you sincerely the best of luck, please do let us know here how you do. :slight_smile: Whether your giving of your willing heart and hands here at Viki helped in the real world, that also would be helpful to those also who are seeking either their first jobs or re-entry jobs. :slight_smile:

Crouching Dieter, Hidden Donut
I have found dozens of very good reasons to be self-employed…one being truly selfish employers!

1 Like

well in USA apparently we don’t even exist. There is a line for top volunteers which DIRECTLY goes to that silly volunteer finder which is NOT the list you guys have with icons. noooo it’s just volunteer finder, the mindless app that does not work ANYWAY and does NOT LIST the top volunteers! The next line with the link to “learn more” goes to the community volunteering page. THAT is what we have in USA! :frowning:

So who knows what on earth they are thinking or whether anybody did something WE do here regularly - EDIT and check things for whether they are correct and work properly first?

CD, HD

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Thanks. :slight_smile:

They don’t mind if I’m Superwoman, as long as they pay me 40% less.

I tried leaving age etc out, because it is actually EU legislation or something, but they would treat me like I didn’t do my homework. One actually pointed it out in a very harsh manner, easy boy you’re not my math teacher! And when I told him I’m not supposed to state it (head of HR my ass), his male brain couldn’t work around it. I know I may have to, but as I get older I’ll try to avoid working in a hostile environment. I’d like to not have to hide the fact that I can run my Windows updates without the help of the IT dept, just because my male supervisor might feel threatened.

2 Likes

(laughing) yes, you found another thing I tend not to reveal. I’ve done unofficial “tech support” from below for long decades starting with the DOS years and actually installed the first antivirus at my then-company.

Pre-Windows programs like Quarterdeck. Sigh. Desktop publishing. Databases. All of that.

(laughing) Web page design…

The amount of things I reveal on my resume grows shorter as my experience and achievements in the world grow longer. :slight_smile:

I hear you. :slight_smile: and wish you luck with the usual inept Y-chromosome-bearing mortals out there.

GeNie of the Lamp POOF!

2 Likes