Watching My ID is Gangnam Beauty

Is anyone else watching this one? I just started it, today. I have mixed feelings about this one. I do agree with the main character’s point of view…she received surgery and is still dealing with people treating her badly. I am in the early episodes but, I love when she fought back with the Senior. He was extremely creepy and hateful.

I am having so much trouble with everyone fawning all over the second female lead. It is so obvious that she sees Mi Rae as a threat and is actively plotting against her. I love when the male lead asked her if she was fool. I mean how is it not obvious to her, that the girl is undercutting her at every turn.

I am hoping Mi Rae gets a serious backbone and stands up for herself. She can’t just be a doormat because people are being nice to her for once in her life.

And the Father’s reaction??? I am not sure how they did tell him or how he did not have a clue but, his reaction was over the top for me. They were wrong for not telling him but, he apparently was blinded by parental love and could not see how miserable she was in middle school and high school years.

My favorite character is Do Kyung-seok. He is not taking nothing from anyone. I love how he sees through people and their mess especially, Hyun Soo Ah. He is complete not buying it. The bestfriend is pretty great, too!

I just hope we don’t get to a point where they like each other and silly things get in the way. I can see Soo Ah just lying through her teeth to mess with them.

What does everyone think?

2 Likes

Spoilers:

So Soo Ah is crazy! She purposely burned herself so she would get attention! I thought it was just calculation but I think she is just crazy. She is lying about where she lives and she tried to make Mi Rae look bad. Ick! She is too manipulative. I am sorry but if this Soo Ah doesn’t get exposed in a big way, I will be hugely disappointed. I do not want some forgiveness and everyone is happy…she needs to get back at least half of what she is doing to Mi Rae. I do not understand how the other girls do not see how fake she is.

i would love to watch it… but i cant… ;_;

I’m watching it too. It’s nice but sometimes also annoying sub plot wise.

I am really enjoying this drama so far. what I do find interesting though is seeing Korean dramas that touch on social or sensitive issues from both the perspective of non Korean viewers vs native Koreans. I have friends (and in-laws) from korea and I enjoy getting their persective on dramas such as this vs seeing reviews fron international viewers. whenever I get mad at something I see on a kdrama I have to keep reminding myself that these shows are made for a Korean audience and not for someone like me from a different society. so when I see something that to me is a non issue I wonder why they make a big deal about it then remember that it may not be a big deal where I live but for them It could be. but with only two episodes left I think that Soo Ah may end up with problems with that guy that has been posting that he was in a relationship with her (stalker much) now that he feels jilted. still waiting for that shoe to drop.

2 Likes

i hope i can watch it someday ><
saw and heard many good things about it

I’m absolutely enjoying this drama. I think every character, including the side characters, are so realistic and well-created. I’ve met people like Soo Ah, who scheme to make others look bad so that they can look good themselves. I’ve been a Mi Rae, who has many insecurities about other people’s judgement of her, but secretly judges others as well. My ID is Gangnam Beauty really hits home. There are times when Mi Rae frustrates me, but there are times when she learns how to stand up for herself and I cheer for her.

In case anyone didn’t know, this was based on a Webtoon. It reminds me slightly of Lookism (another webtoon) in the way that it makes you reflect about how you view yourself and other people.

If anyone gets a chance to watch it, I highly recommend you do so. :+1:

2 Likes

Where can I watch My ID is Gangnam Beauty? Dramafever shut down so I don’t know where to watch it

@verona_ni_558 Apparently, Viki will bring that title in the near future.
They have recently created the channel for it

https://www.viki.com/tv/36424c-my-id-is-gangnam-beauty

The idea for the plot was interesting and new, but the execution was meh - some of the blame must go to the script which is written conventionally, and the characters really flat, and some of the blame to the actors, who are underwhelming to say the least.
The male lead is breathtakingly handsome, so for a number of episodes you get entertained just by looking at his face. But this too is not enough after a while, as he has a set of maybe three expressions.

2 Likes

Savage… but acurate. :joy: It did fit his character though.

Personally, I really liked the simplicity of the script and the fact that some of the characters (well, one - the “bad” girl who just had to set the world on fire) had more layers that the average K-Drama character.

1 Like

I’ve watched it, I think that Kang Mi Rae is my favorite characters, she is smart, naive when she trusted Soo Ah and superficial at first when she noted the beauty level of his new classmates, but she became cooler when she learn to know which people to trust and moreover how to believe in herself. I didn’t like how the father react when Mi Rae’s mother told him for the surgery.

Also to be honest I appreciate the fact that scenarist, producter, cameraman didn’t show Mi Rae’s face when she thought that she was ugly, they didn’t show an “average look” of what people think it’s ugly, they didn’t catogorized people into cases.

So I love this drama beacause of it.

Ps: The drama is available on netflix

1 Like

I know this discussion thread was done a long time ago but I started watching My ID is Gangnam Beauty and was downright upset with this drama bc it gives all the wrong message here. Plastic surgeons must have paid this writer to do this drama for them. In my opinion it gives all the wrong message, and in the long run, more people will be more depressed watching these kinds of dramas.

Why? What if you can’t afford plastic surgery like the girl did in the drama that has her mother//father paying for her COMPLETE new face?

Beauty is not all outside, there is more beauty inside us and if you noticed in the drama the pretty faces were bullies that had no heart and were full of malice and evil doers.

Asian countries needs to spend more time in making dramas to encourage ppl to love themselves the way they look, and stop living life to please a self centered society with no heart and don’t know what beauty really is.

I had a friend who they said, was not pretty at all but she never ‘‘ugly’’ in my eyes like they told me all the time she was. This girl was the sweetest, most caring person, I have ever met in my life.

Everyone around me called her ‘‘ugly’’ and I would get so angry bc I never saw her ugly as they say she was. I would argue, scream and fight with them bc she was so beautiful inside that I never noticed what they were talking about. In my eyes she was perfect but only bc I saw such much beauty inside her heart. I saw a picture and she was an average looking plain girl (I never noticed she wore no makeup at all) lol

She was my uncle’s girlfriend and my uncle is what many women considered back then, a ‘‘hunk’’ (maybe bc he was my uncle I couldn’t see what was the big deal an average looking girl that my uncle was so in love with). I realized that it was all envy and 100% evilness. If an average girl gets a good looking guy loving her, was/is unacceptable

Recently I saw a picture of my uncle and my friend and I asked myself when is society going to stop writing this kind of dramas that gives all the wrong message sending many to commit suicide!

It’s horrible, and no money in this world can replace a life. My friend suffered so much and was humiliated as she walked with my uncle and years later they broke up bc she couldn’t deal with the pain of those evil stares and comments.

I know my uncle should have stayed with her bc in his 60’s now was never as happy as i saw him when he was with her.To this day, he never got married and I have never seen the face of happiness when he was next to her. My uncle had so many women in his life but yet I know he’s not happy. My friend found an average looking men that to this day is still with her. She has grandchildren and you can say is living her fairy tale love story.

My uncle the hunk (is no longer a hunk lol) never found a true love and lives with a much younger, unfaithful, gold digger that can’t wait for him to die so she can enjoy his money. Sad but true.

‘‘BEAUTY IS IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER’’ beauty is in all of us bc no matter how beautiful you are on the outside if you are nasty, envious, rude self centered you are as ugly can be.

You captured my sentiments exactly! I’ve watched this several times now and it sometimes seems weird but I then found the Webtoon it was based on and the storyline is very close to that.

1 Like