What are the best 2019 Dramas?

I know 2019 is not over, but I am excited to hear about what you all think about the dramas from this year. I feel like 2019 has been a really great year for dramas. What are some of the dramas that are real favorites of the year for you?

A few of my top favorites of the year are Hotel Del Luna, Melo Is My Nature, and Search: WWW. I love IU, so I was incredibly excited for Hotel Del Luna and expected it to become a favorite, but I was a little surprised by how much I really fell in love with everything about this drama. Melo Is My Nature and Search: WWW both stood out to me this year because both kdramas focused on strong women. I also feel like Melo Is My Nature is very unique with its delivery of its plot. The topics that are discussed on it are also very important, and itā€™s a very intelligent kdrama to me.

I canā€™t wait to hear what you all have to say! Thank you in advance for reading and/or replying to this. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I donā€™t tend to watch many on air dramas, but I have seen a few, mostly on NF:

KDramas:
Love Alarm
My First First Love (both seasons)
When the Camellia Blooms (even though it is still airing, I really like it)

Love Alarm really got my attention because of its relevance in society today due to the rise of technology and the decline in face to face communication. Plus, the story line (although rather simple) just spoke to me. The main female lead isnā€™t perfect, but she tries her best to do what she feels is right under the circumstances. I have severe second lead syndrome in this drama, but I have some hope since there is a second season coming soon.
I kinda like Moment of Eighteen too, because it isnā€™t a crazy drama, but itā€™s not my fav because of the way the antagonist was dealt with in the end

Cdramas:
Novoland: Eagle Flag
The Longest Day in Changā€™an

The Longest Day in Changā€™an is one of my most favorite Cdramas ever, besides Tribes and Empires. It is action all the way. I love the acting, the costumes, the plot line, and the fast pace, even though I am not much of an action fan. The chemistry between all of the characters was so fun to watch.

2 Likes

Loved that one! In the past months I tend to watch dramas that are completed, so it doesnā€™t matter if I am slower or faster.
I had to look at the 2019 dramas at Viki to find out what I watched, The Secret Life of My Secretary, Her Private Life, Absolute Boyfriend (stopped in the middle - more than mediocre for me), Big Issue, ā€¦ Most were okay to ā€œit didnā€™t hurt to watch themā€. So WWW was the one standing out from the few others I have watch from 2019.

4 Likes

I agree, Search: WWW was a-mazing!

But another very smart and endearing drama is Extraordinary You (no Viki licence, Iā€™m afraid).

I donā€™t watch a lot of dramas, since translating takes my time from it, but Iā€™m becoming now very interested in Melo Is My Nature.

Hotel del Luna, When Camellia Blooms, Her Private Life, Love and Destiny etc. are all nice dramas, but not really, really special.

5 Likes

Touch Your Heart, which Yes, aired in this year.

1 Like

Yong Shik is becoming one of my favorite male leads. He is so lovable.

Haven;t watched many 2019 dramas. Looked at a lot of older dramas.
If you like historical dramas, Haechi was a pretty good one.

2 Likes

I found 2019 an interesting year for K-drama, although on Viki this year I only had access to about half of the new shows (this is the life of a Viki Pass Standard holder these days) Here are a few 2019 dramas I found quite notable, in order of airing dates:

Radiant :star: :star: :star: :star:

Beautiful World :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Watcher :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Melo is my Nature :star: :star: :star: :star:

Hotel Del Luna :star: :star: :star: :star:

Elsewhere viewing, I also highly recommend both CONFESSION and CATCH THE GHOST. :smile_cat: sheishun

4 Likes

This one made me cry like crazy, and that doesnā€™t happen easily, Iā€™m telling you. But I agree, itā€™s a good one. I just forgot it was broadcast this year. Oops.
The only thing I can say about it without spoilers is that it was something different.
One issue here; is that I canā€™t compare it with the other four because I didnā€™t get the chance to watch them just yet. :sweat_smile:
I started yesterday on Melo is My Nature. I will get back to this thread when Iā€™m done with it to give my feedback. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also liked Love Alarm. I agree that it had a simple storyline, but I liked that about it. I loved the second lead, too! Iā€™m planning to watch When the Camellia Blooms when I have more time for it. Moment of Eighteen looked good as well.

I just started watching Cdramas, and your description of The Longest Day in Changā€™an definitely makes me want to check it out. Thank you for a new suggestion! :grin:

1 Like

I liked Her Private Life, but I found it to be more of a light, fun kdrama to watch rather than an absolutely amazing drama. In other words, it wasnā€™t my favorite, but I still found it enjoyable.

2 Likes

Iā€™m so happy you mentioned this drama! I agree that it is also very smart. I didnā€™t mention it because Iā€™m very behind on the episodes right now. However, I loved it pretty instantly and how good it is surprised me a little (even though I thought I would like it before watching it).

1 Like

@adrianmorales I enjoyed watching Touch Your Heart, especially so that I could see the chemistry between Yoo In Na and Lee Dong Wook. I also found most of the plot to be very interesting.

@sheishun I started Beautiful World, but at the time, I couldnā€™t handle finishing it. What I saw of it was amazing, though. I also started Watcher (liked it as well), but I became distracted by other kdramas and dropped it. Iā€™ll try to watch both of them again! Also, thank you for the Radiant recommendation.

@tweet998 Thank you for your input about Radiant! You both are making me want to check it out. Also, yes, please let us know what you think of Melo is My Nature. :grinning:

2 Likes

Actually, Extraordinary You does have a Viki licence. Just not for meeee

2 Likes

ꈑåœØę‰¾ē”µå½±ļ¼š
Iā€™m looking for the movie:

Tong%20Li%20%E7%AB%A5%E4%B8%BD

[Tong Li ē«„äø½](https://youtu.be/SoBc5_7tPQM filmsuche)