What do Koreans and people eat when they are sick?

While eating soup, this question suddenly popped out :joy:
Is there some traditional stuff to eat, drink or do?

This is what I eat when I’m sick: carrots, noodles and pork meat.

Screenshot_20210226-143449_Gallery

5 Likes

There is the famous Korean rice porridge, it’s easy to make, delicious and light to digest.
The day after a hangover, in case of fever, cold, indigestion … I prepare it only with vegetables, but here is the link with chicken

4 Likes

For Koreans, Jook, 죽, or rice porridge. My boy likes the plain white rice porridge, while my daughter likes rice and vegetable porridge, with some carrots, Korean zucchini, a little onion and mushrooms.

When they are REALLY sick and can’t even digest well, then Mieum (미음), which is like a watered down version of white rice jook.

When having a cold, maybe some ginger honey lemon tea.

Chicken noodle soup for Americans.

7 Likes

I thought of that, 즉, just reading, but was going to reply honey, because you said people, and to be on the safe side.

3 Likes

Everything sounds delicious!
Thanks for sharing and the video!

I also love rice porridge, but I didn’t know we could put vegetables! That is something I must try!

What are Korean zucchinis?
Chicken noodle soups seem delicious! I’ve never tasted that!

2 Likes

Vegetable jook is delicious and you don’t have to be sick to eat it. As the matter of fact, I just made a batch last week and we had it for breakfast.

A few other types of popular Korean jook are abalone jook (my personal favorite), black sesame jook, and pinenut jook. There are even restaurants that specialize in jook.

The video is not from me, and it’s showing Chinese style jjeuk.

Here’s how I make vegetable jook.

1. Clean and soak rice (or glutenous sweet rice) for about 2 hours.
  2. Chop up veggies, and sauté them in a pan.
  3. Drain the rice (save the water) and stir fry them in a little sesame oil in the pot where you will be making the jook. You need a good size pot as you will be adding a lot of liquid.
  4. Add water, including the water you saved from soaking the rice (rice to water ratio is about 1:3 or 1:4, depending on how thick you want it), sautéed vegges, and salt. You can add some chicken stock too if you want.
  5. Boil in low heat for 30 - 40 min, while stirring initially.

Korean Zucchini is 애호박 (Aehobak).

Chicken noodle soup is such a comfort food. You should definitely try it.

3 Likes

:heart: Thanks for your personal recipe! Now, I really got to try :smiley:
Such cute zucchinis :joy: Here, they’re bigger and more green!

I’ve once eaten abalone congee, it was amazing!
I’m surprised that restaurants sell jook :dizzy_face: Is it common and is it expensive compared to other dishes or soups?

1 Like

Hope you like it. :slight_smile:

I think the price is comparable with any other main dish. I think it’s kinda big in Korea, but I don’t typically order Jook from a restaurant since I can easily make it.

Next time you see a female lead being sick and the male lead brings some Jook in a bag, you may notice some PPL by one of the Jook specialty restaurants, such as their name written on the carryout bag. I think I’ve seen 본죽 (Bon Jook).

2 Likes

Wasn’t Geum Jan Di working in such a restaurant with her friend in Boys over Flowers?

When I was a kid we always had chicken noodle soup. As an adult I usually either have Jook, which I’ve always called congee, or kitchari, I typically use this recipe but I don’t like mung beans so I use red lentils instead.
Kitchari Recipe | How to Make Ayurvedic Kitchari - Real + Vibrant (realandvibrant.com)

2 Likes

Hello, it is the first time I see Basmati rice cooked with mung beans for congee! Wow :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth: all this congee seems dayum.

That is super convenient! When people are sick and living alone, they can order jook from these jook restaurants!

1 Like

I think I worded that poorly. Congee & kitchari are both things I eat when I’m not feeling well.

2 Likes

Aaah I’ve just understood the “or”.
Kitchari looks like yellow congee :hushed:

1 Like

piranna They taste very different but both are easily digestible.

1 Like

I got to try this! Thank you for the recipe!

1 Like

It’s been so long since I’ve seen that drama so I can’t really remember, but it’s very possible.

1 Like

Yes, and according to this article it’s a famous chain restaurant.
꽃보다 남자 Boys Over Flower’s famous porridge restaurant @ 본죽명동점 ~ HYORIYA 스토리

2 Likes