What do you find difficult when you edit and what is time consuming?

I re-polled several dozen Korean to English subbers in 2021 and the overwhelming majority still prefers Lee Min Ho. No hyphen, and if the name is three syllables in Korean, it is three syllables Romanized.

4 Likes

Interesting. I never received the poll, probably because Iā€™m not that active in Viki anymore, but Iā€™ll always vote for no space in the middle of a first name. Minho is his first name, and itā€™s strange to have a space in the middle, as if ā€œHoā€ is the middle name, which doesnā€™t even exist in Korean names. And most of the Ko-En subbers that I talked to also didnā€™t like the extra space in the middle of the first name. Lee Minho is still 3 syllables, even without the extra space.

5 Likes

I agree. I think most Koreans would prefer to write their given name without a space between the two syllables. I myself came to the US in the late 1970s when there werenā€™t that many Korean immigrants and Korea was still at its infant stage of opening up to western influence. Since I didnā€™t know any better, I learned to spell my name as Hyun Jung, with a space, because thatā€™s how Americans spelled it. However, if I can change right now without any legal ramifications, I would change it to Hyunjung.

I wonder how many of the Kor-Eng subbers who were polled are Korean natives with Korean names.

4 Likes

All my family members were lucky enough to have spelled our Korean names without that extra space, but my mother-in-law (who didnā€™t know any better just like you) has that extra space in her first name, which is causing a lot of problems now.

Her official documents show discrepancies and it is such a pain to try to explain to those organizations. Hereā€™s an example. So if her name is Sunmi Lee, and she goes by Nancy as her ā€œAmerican name,ā€ then her Driverā€™s license may show it as Sun Mi Lee, where as her health insurance could be printed as Sun Lee, and her medicare card would show Sun M. Lee, and her credit card may be listed as Nancy S. Lee, and her phone bill is showing it as Sunmi Lee. Iā€™m using a fake name, but this is a real problem for her.

Another story of a family with 4 boys whose first name starts with Jun. So their names could be Jun Il Park, Jun Chul Park, Jun Sung Park, Jun Min Park. And every phone calls they get on their house phone asks to speak to ā€œJun,ā€ and they always have to ask, ā€œWhich one?ā€ And the sad thing is that no one knows their whole full first name, so they respond back as ā€œJun Park?ā€ Is not as big of a problem with personal cell phones but itā€™s still very confusing since all the siblings seem to have the same name.

I was thinking the same.

4 Likes

I have a two syllable Chinese middle name so it has been spelled a variety of ways throughout my life with and without hyphen, space, etc on various government documents. Thankfully now the TSA says I can just put the first initial. But I gave the subbers the choice of Minho and Min-ho and Min Ho and the choice by about ā…” was Min Ho

1 Like