What do you think about the new shows at Viki?

After visiting these two links almost daily,
Coming Soon shows
Latest shows

I noticed that there are almost no new “hot” shows coming here.
Most of them are Chinese movies, Korean variety shows (honestly, I never liked watching Variety shows) or Web dramas with a typical story.

The question is, what is happening to “hot” new Korean shows (Korean, because this is Viki’s tagline Watch Korean Dramas, Chinese Dramas and Movies Online | Rakuten Viki

The new shows are uninteresting, they don’t have teams, they are just in English or are not licensed in my region.

There’s a thread, solely dedicated to bringing new Korean shows, :star2::kr: Upcoming K-DRAMAS 2021​:kr: : WANTED CHANNELS - TV & Movies / K-Dramas - Viki Discussions, but I guess the influence isn’t big.

https://www.viki.com/explore?country=korea&program=coming-soon&type=series
Just 9 shows in Korean, coming soon, TV category.

Where are the new shows going?

4 Likes

It seems they are about to bring this one

Licensing a kdrama is a big fight against Netflix, viu…

We are trying to keep this post 🌟🇰🇷 Upcoming K-DRAMAS 2021🇰🇷 : WANTED CHANNELS as much updated as possible. The rest is in Viki’s hands.

June drama channels have already been created and we are now expecting for what it’s to come in July :crossed_fingers::pray:

6 Likes

I have not looked at coming soon in a while. Getting the hot shows is a lot of hard work and even more money involved. To find the balance to keep the ball/Viki rolling.
I just discovered that Viki starts to bring stuff from Vietnam.
For Korean content, I see a lot of idol stuff and school themed stuff, well I have grown out of it.
I hope somehow they will find some other good Thai lakorns and Japanese dramas, because it seems a bit overpowering to see all the Chinese content coming along.
As a contributor I have to say, seeing that there are more movies coming up is nice since I do not have too much time on hand and a movie is easily translated, well most of the time. On the other hand it is saddening that so many new channels are only English subbed, as a viewer it’s not a problem to me, but all in all I fear Viki will lose it’s diversity in the community.

All in all - what is a “hot” show for you?

5 Likes

You mentioned the word “hot show”. Think about the currently “hot”, On-Air kdramas lots of people are talking about: DAYS, My Roommate is a Gumiho, Youth of May, Law School, Taxi Driver, Imitation, Sell Your Haunted House

Viki has 5 of the 8, which is pretty good, considering they’re competing with Netflix.
Hot, new dramas don’t get released continuously. There’s usually a time of “lull”, when the more than five “hot” dramas are completing their runs. I’m not very worried about the huge hit dramas…it’s just that the number of Kdramas coming seems to have decreased by a LOT. Chinese dramas come from every source possible while the kdramas are just the main, buzzworthy ones. And even if some sought-after dramas do make their way to Viki, many are with “English subtitles only”. I wonder what the deal is.

Upcoming: Nevertheless, Hospital Playlist 2, The Penthouse 3. I think Viki will get Penthouse since they have the other two seasons. Hospital Playlist…maybe not.

6 Likes

There is no fan-channel note there, so it seems like it will come.

2 Likes

Penthouse 3 is here and the Subtitle Team is recruiting if you are interested.

5 Likes

I am confused. The Devil Judge shows up among the “Latest Releases” but it is labeled “unlicensed”.:thinking:

1 Like

That could mean that they are in the finale stage for licensing, but I remember one time - only on time, when it fell through, it’s a Ji Sung drama and as we all know he has a huge fan base in here, me not excluded. I still have to watch 1-2 dramas but all the others I got to see. So let’s get fingers crossed that they can get license for many regions, so everyone has the opportunity to watch.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s still not available in the UK

Viki stated that it would create an unlicensed (so-called “fan”) channel for a drama it wishes to buy rights for (or is on a good path in licence negotiations) one month before the drama airs. However, that has proved to be difficult and one can in fact get a channel and a licence up and going within a very short time span. So, things can happen in the last minute!

On the other hand, there is a Chinese drama which has been standing in the Coming Soon category for over 2-3 years. So, that category isn’t exactly updated properly.

As a side note, I wish they would stop calling unlicensed channels fan channels. That’s so stupid. I see zero connection between their function and the name. And they are overriding what real fan channels used to be. I call whitewashing.

4 Likes

I think Viki staff accidently placed “The Devil Judge” into the wrong spot.
Hopefully it will be corrected, finding it’s way to Coming Soon. :star_struck:

2 Likes

In my opinion, I believe the “English … Only” has to do with an agreement with KO CO WA (MBC, SBS, and KBS content).

3 Likes

Hey guys i think you all didn’t notice
Channel manager already appointed for pent house 3

1 Like

If the first two seasons were available, I would think this will also become available. You should make the request anyway.

4 Likes

Its not available in my country too!
But i believe it will be available beacause Many dramas intially shows its not available in your region but after a day or two they will be available may be they take some time for licensing i think and it applies for all regions. Let’s wait @aaazmm

3 Likes