What festivities are celebrated yearly in your country?

I ran into this when I was doing a survey, and feel curious now about what other countries celebrate yearly events like this one. This is celebrated in India, and I worked in a Hindi drama here at viki and they showed how they celebrated this

#1 Diwali

Hindu Festival

Diwali is a festival of lights and one of the major festivals celebrated mainly by Hindus, Jains and Sikhs. The festival usually lasts five days and celebrated during the Hindu Lunisolar month Kartika. One of the most popular festivals of Hinduism, Diwali symbolizes the spiritual “victory of light over darkness, good over evil, and knowledge over ignorance”
Beginning on Thursday, more than a billion people around the world will began the annual celebration of Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights that many consider to be the start of the new year.

Typically, the festival is marked by celebrations both at home and in large community gatherings by people of many faiths in both India and the diaspora. In recent years, celebrations have become increasingly mainstream in America with large events in Disneyland and Times Square as well as convention centers across the country.

#2SAN jUAN BAUTISTA
In my Island, Puerto Rico we have ‘‘Las fiestas de San Juan Bautista.’’ The night before you eat a hard boil egg and ask the Patron Saint to show you in the dream that night, who you will marry. A friend of our had a dream of herself in a coffin and we laughed it off but by the next year she got cancer and died. Coincidence?

About the Festival

The Festival de San Juan Bautista takes place every year on June 24 (Midsummers Day, or the summer solstice) and is marked by a few interesting traditions and customs. It’s the most important of the hundreds of fiestas patronales , or patron saint festivals, that cities and towns throughout Puerto Rico hold each year to honor their chosen patron saint.
While the festival is, of course, rooted in the Catholic traditions of the island, there are a few folkloric highlights that set it apart. It’s most well-known event actually takes place the night before on beaches around the island. As midnight approaches on the 23rd, you’ll find the locals gathering on the beach. At the stroke of midnight, custom dictates that you fall backward into the water 12 times for luck. This is somehow a harbinger of good luck for the rest of the year, and it also serves as the unofficial kickoff for the festival.

As with most patron saint festivals, the Festival de San Juan Bautista begins at the church and moves onto the streets. Old San Juan becomes an open-air street party with crowds making their way through the old city, parades, live bomba y plena music, dances and folks in colorful traditional clothing on full display. Vejigantes are always part of the pageantry, often on stilts to add a little dramatic effect to the visual. And a coronation of a King and Queen of the event takes place each year.

Of course, no parade, party or celebration in Puerto Rico is complete without food, and you’ll find food kiosks and delicious local goodies available. It’s a carnival-like atmosphere, with smaller festivals around the island taking place in the days leading up to and following the 24th. But there’s no doubt that the main party takes place in San Juan. It’s a fantastic, colorful, boisterous and unique way to celebrate the local culture. I miss my Island and those festivals full of so much happiness.
If you ever want to visit my enchanting island and experience this feast here is some info…

4 Likes
  1. Juhannus in june
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midsummer
  2. Vappu 1.5
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Workers'_Day
  3. Itsenäisyyspäivä 6.12
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_(Finland)
  4. Joulu 24.12
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule
2 Likes

Apart from National Holidays in India, which have fixed dates and people know when they’ll fall every year, like Non-Violence Day (2 Oct popularly known as Gandhi Jayanti), International Yoga Day (21 June) or Children’s Day (14 November, India’s first PM’s birth anniversary). I won’t say these are clearly festivals but rather sort of office holidays.

Mainstream festivals don’t have fixed dates and fall according to religious calenders (Hindu, Islamic, Gujarati, etc…). Sometimes, one festival that’s celebrated with lots of show and joy in one side of India might just end with a fancy meal in another side of India.

The ones that I enjoy a lot are these:

Holi: You might have heard about this one, there is loads and loads of colours everywhere when Holi is celebrated. Varanasi has the fanciest celebrations and the meals are as cool as the festival.

Although it’s fun, bathing is a serious job :sweat_smile:
This one falls around March.

Eid: This one is also a famous one and I really love eating Biryani (rice with it’s own twist). Indian Muslims start their fast with eating Seviyan every morning.

Raksha Bandhan: This literally translates to Protective Relationship and celebrates the bonds of a brother and a sister. This is a really popular festival but it is celebrated in homes and temples. You won’t see a lot of partying and people outside at the streets.

Karva Chauth: A Hindu festival which strengthens the bond between a married couple. The wife fasts an entire day without eating or drinking and the fast is broken at night after seeing the moon and the husband gives his wife food and water. Different places and people have their own ways to break this fast.

3 Likes

Totally shocked since I was little I thought they only celebrated this in my Island. Thanks for sharing.
Midsummer
Saint John’s Day
Also called Feast of Saint John the Baptist, Summer Solstice, St. John’s Feast Day, Jāņi, Enyovden, Liða / Litha, Midsommar, Ivan Kupala Day, Juhannus, Mittumaari, Alban Hefin, Gŵyl Ganol yr Haf, Sankthans, Joninės, Jaanipäev, Keskikesä
Observed by * Traditionally: European countries, Brazil, Quebec[1]
BEAUTIFUL

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. They have a Documentary on Ntfx about the Holi festival. I loved it! Although I would get the worse asthma attack so it breaks my heart that I wouldn’t be able to participate in this such joyful event.

Never heard of the wife fasting this is my first time but is very interesting. My cousin married a Doctor from India and their wedding lasted 3 days, and it was so colorful and beautiful (except the eating with no utensils lol) I didn’t like that part. She also did a Catholic wedding but she looked amazingly gorgeous in her Indian wedding dress and the music and dancing was so much fun. Especially since men danced with each other instead of the women and it was different and enjoyable.

2 Likes

there are a lots, and some I don’t know about

missing sister day, bro day, friendship day, chinese New year, and more, this diodn’t show Jewish or Hindu festivals, martigrau, sinco de mayo & others, we have greek festival too

January–April May–August September–December
New Year’s Day Nurses Day Labor Day
Inauguration Day National Day of Prayer Grandparent’s Day
Martin Luther King Jr. Day Mother’s Day Citizenship Day
Groundhog Day Armed Forces Day National Children’s Day
Super Bowl Sunday Juneteenth Columbus Day
Valentine’s Day Father’s Day Boss’s Day
President’s Day Memorial Day Sweetest Day
St. Patrick’s Day Independence Day Mother-in-Law’s Day
April Fool’s Day Parent’s Day Navy Day
Easter Friendship Day Halloween
Earth Day Veterans Day
Administrative Professionals’ Day Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Kwanzaa
1 Like

What is Kwanzaa?

1 Like

Kwanzaa

Kwanzaa is an annual celebration of African-American culture which is held from December 26 to January 1, culminating in gift-giving and a feast of faith, called Karamu Ya Imani. It was created by Maulana Karenga and first celebrated in 1966.Wikipedia

1 Like
2 Likes

thanks! very interesting!!

2 Likes

Every year in the Brazil, we celebrate two important festivals.
At the beginning of the year, in February, we have our Carnaval!
This holiday is celebrated throughout the country for days, where we have great marches with lots of music and our famous dance: the samba.
Honestly, it’s my favorite festival.

During the month of June, we celebrate the Festa Junina. It’s a cultural festival, with characters from our folklore, typical foods, special clothes, games around a campfire and folk songs.

3 Likes

It has always been my dream to go to Brazil’s Carnaval, but at least I get to see on Documentaries on NetflX. The GORGEOUS customs and those floats with such elaborate designs. Absolutely mesmerizing. .

2 Likes

MCNY Celebrates
Screenshot_20230116-194700_Chrome