What happen to Subtitle Appearance option?

Hello,
There are a lot of dramas that have the black background lock down for subtitle appearance and you can not change preference.
I don’t mind the black background if you can adjust the transparency ,On Viki you can’t it is just opaque black.
Now I am finding a lot of dramas have this locked down so you can not change it to no background.
It takes away from the watching experience when it fills 1/3 'rd of the screen. Is anyone else finding this and annoyed by it? Anyone know a fix if it’s a bug? Please fix, it’s annoying.
Legend of White Snake
Love and Destiny (but it’s be subtitled)
Snow Tower

Do you use your computer or another device?
For computers, you can still change the subtitle appearance, but you need to reload the video.

1 Like

I use my PC to TV. I have tried clearing history and cache, reloading video,everything I can think of.
Made sure my browsers up to date. But certain Dramas have the preferences locked like Legend of white Snake. Snow Tower and few others. You just can’t change the appearance in options.I should say you can’t remove the black back ground.You can change font colour and size.
It seems to be the ones that the Sub Team or who ever makes that decision set the default appearance with black background. I think its something they forgot to set or unlock. I don’t know.

we don’t have such a choice

1 Like

I can change the background’s and the subtitles’ color but can not make the background transparent, that is the only option not working in the Chinese drama for me.
It may be the setting for hard subbed Chinese drama.

2 Likes

Hmm, It must be a bug. On the 3 Dramas I mentioned you can’t remove black back ground in options.
I have not been able to.I can only change font colour and size.The black back ground remains.
I was hoping it was a setting not turned off during translation process or some easy fix.

Yeah that is the problem I am having. I don’t like the back grnd option on Viki because you can not adjust the opacity. If you do not put it to small setting it takes up 1/3rd of the screen.If you are watching from your couch, small setting can be hard to see. Oh well Thanks for your response.At least I know now it’s not on my end but some default set by Viki. Thank you, Cheers

1 Like

The black background is really useful in hardsubbed dramas because it covers the hardsubs under it.
Everywhere else it’s very distracting.

1 Like

Yes I agree. I use it quite often in other venues that allow you to adjust the opacity of the background colour. But here on Viki because that adjustment is not available, I just use yellow font.I have a PC to TV setup so I don’t sit close. I’m across a room 10’ or better.
It looks like it is a default set for Dramas that have the hard sub.I have been using the small setting so it is not as intrusive.Perhaps in the near future Viki will have the option to adjust back ground colour opacity.
Just me being OCD about my Drama experience.I thought maybe a bug or something that was fixable. Thank you everyone for answering my question.I love Viki community. :wink:

2 Likes