What is Annoyingly Changing on Viki

thats why I stay on Viki. I like the discussion groups! and also keeps me occupied

4 Likes

I love the discussions here as well. I think I am pretty well covered as far as International viewing goes as I have Viki Plus, Netflix, and Prime. :grinning::+1:

2 Likes

Iam really disappointed in the line up of dramas Viki has .I agree with most of the views shown ,where are all the good dramas ? Instead of the fillers such as variety shows and such ,and the advertisement of BL dramas really are distasteful ,and I understand that that I have a choice .to watch or not .please put good programming on

4 Likes

They just took Chicago Typewriter off with no warning, which really sucks because there’s no other way to watch it in my region. I found an article from three years ago where they mentioned warning people that shows were about to leave, but I guess they never implemented this.

2 Likes

EVERYTHING has been CHANGING on RVIKI, and not necessarily for the better. So many features work so poorly, and never get fixed. At the pace this is going
:confused:

4 Likes

really is changing a lot! wonder how come? and really am considering leaving this because of the changes

2 Likes

ok thanks for setting me straight on this. cause I have been on here for quite a while,

and I really do hate to leave, plus like I said in an earlier message, I like the discussions too. also really hope it doesn’t take long to separate the “weeds from the flowers”, just wish they would get it right/straight.

2 Likes

ok, y’all and managers or whoever included, instead of me “jumping ship” is there anything we can do to help?? if there is TELL US!

I hate seeing this die on us, like the one couple of years ago, and not even let us know they were closing down, that’s kinda how I feel today, about VIKI, just seems like we are losing out!

or am I making a mountain out of a molehill? taking this the wrong way??

been going on for 3 years now!

I looked through all the messages just now, wow all of it going strong! yeah now more Chinese dramas, which is fine, that was mentioned in one of the messages, the Japanese dramas, it would be great to get some of those detective ones, and Taiwanese and more. such a shame I know a sore spot, but licensing is getting old hat
 well this is interesting, but don’t want to offend anyone with all this gripe & complaint. y’all have a great day!

3 Likes

Iam really disappointed I miss the good dramas they offered not to keen on BL ,doc and variety shows are we ever going to get to see good dramas again ,love Chinese dramas and k dramas

5 Likes

I so do agree on paulam43! also not keen on the BL either, I would love to see the dramas of like yesteryear! not the boring ones, and how come we are seeing more Chinese than Korean anyway, oh don’t get me wrong, love the Cdramas!

! but gosh, come on where are our fantastic dramas. note my last message, hey I also requested dramas too!

3 Likes

Mary, the cake just got split in more pieces and it started with Kocowa content the 3 large Korean network MBC, KBS and SBS
 that means one slice gone, then NF is riding the Asian wave as well and took up even investing in them
 now Dsney+ and Apple

Not only that, due to popularity actors get paid more, production costs more and therefore the license
 it’s a steep curve upwards
 it’s possible that Chinese content costs a bit less

The BL content influx is likely following the LGBT community development and marriage for all
 it’s a good market niche that is liked apparently by many
 and they even make movies out of BL dramas they are already showing
 just why???

But we get more films which work well for me, because they are just much shorter than dramas :wink:

3 Likes

ok, I got it, production and licenses, anything else??oh yeah the actors get paid more, and then, and then
 dramas/films/ etc. some of they arent good too. oh well no sense to gripe and complain

1 Like

That’s exactly what it is in a nutshell

But I think individuals in the states might be a bit more heavily affected by the current state of affairs in a negative way, particularly when compared to much of Europe.

A couple of years ago. Viki was just about the only service available in Europe that provided access to content from Asia-Pacific countries and we typically had access to about half of what those in the USA had access to. Now, however, because several different services have jumped in on the act. We now have access to more content from Asia-Pacific countries than ever before, although I don’t think we still have quite as much access as those from the US do. So while things can get a bit expensive if you include viki, Netflix , Disney plus et cetera, at least in Europe we are getting a greater level of access now. Whereas in the USA , a high level of access to content was once both cheap and simple, something which we never had in Europe in the first place.

The one thing that Viki might have going for it in much of Europe is that compared to most other streaming services. It is cheap. I would argue incredibly cheep I renewed my Viki subscription yesterday and this time round for me in the United Kingdom due to changes in financial regulations. It actually worked out cheaper to pay in dollars via the Viki website, then it would have been to pay in sterling via Google play. For me, paying for an annual standard Viki pass at $49.99 comes out as £41.95 and that’s including taxes. It would have cost me £46.49 to pay via Google play

2 Likes

The funny thing is that it seems most of the BL audience is not LGBT people but straight girls and women. I know many of them in the Italian community, happily married and with children, and they drool over BL dramas and movies and fantasize about the actors getting together in real life. Especially those Thai non-actors. They analyze their every smile for each other, every sign of closeness, shouting “Oh, they can’t keep it a secret anymore!” While those actors are most probably doing all this fanservice only for money and fame. One of them seems to be openly gay, but that doesn’t mean anything, he might have a totally different partner none of us knows about. (And why should we care about what people do in their own bedrooms?)

3 Likes