What languages do you speak/are learning?

I was born in Korea and my family immigrated to the USA when I was 13 years old so I am fluent in Korean and English. In Korea, students are required to learn English and Chinese (traditional writing) so I know some Chinese characters. I also took Spanish, French and Japanese in university, not because I was so interested in foreign languages but because I was interested in the development of synthetic language (as in coding for spies). Unfortunately, I am not anywhere close to being fluent in Spanish, French or Japanese.

7 Likes

I speak English but Im learning mostly Korean with Japanese and American Sign Language on the side. I practice a few hours a day

2 Likes

Born and Raised in the U.S. I can speak English (obviously XD), Thai and Lao. I sort of want to learn Korean, but haven’t tried.

2 Likes

I was born in Puerto Rico but live in America so I can fluently speak English and Spanish I am an intermediate in Chinese. I am trying to learn Japanese and Korean bit by bit.

4 Likes

@angelight313_168 will be happy to hear there’s another person from her island on Viki. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello everyone, I speak Urdu and English. Currently I am learning Chinese. Its much interesting to see Cdrama when you are able to understand the dialogue without looking at the subtitles.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Oh my!
This awesome thread was right in front of my eyes and just getting to know it is more interesting than I thought it could be.
I grew up in England so I speak English natively, my half Japanese mom made sure that I don’t get acquainted with my Japanese culture any less so she never spoke English with me until I was about 6 and we communicated solely in Japanese. It seems, although all Japanese moms are same, since I saw a YouTuber said the same thing 3-4 years ago :sweat_smile:

My family came to India in 2013, I was still a kid then, so I didn’t seemed to have problems with picking up Hindi, although my mom did had problems with learning Hindi and still lacks listening skills and speaks Hindi like an alien :joy: (she is doing better day by day)

I have Korean blood too, but I was never exposed to Korean culture. I planned to watch Korean dramas to learn Korean, but you know… just like everyone here, my motive to watch Korean dramas soon faded from Education to Entertainment. I still am not confident with my Korean skills but I am determined to learn it anyway :smile:

5 Likes

@mirjam_465

There’s a few in here I know that are from Puerto Rico. One of them was really bad in English (subbing/communicating), and improved so much here at viki that I was totally shocked bc she caught up (learned) improved so much her English although she lives in Puerto Rico, and not here in US.

2 Likes

Hi!
I’m speaking Polish and English fluently and currently i’m learning Korean. In the future i really want to learn Japanese and Chinese, but for now i want to focus on expanding my vocabulary in Korean!

2 Likes

I am Ecuadorian, I was born in Quito and I live in France. I speak English and Japanese fluently and I learn Chinese and Turkish (I am a woman) (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

4 Likes

Oh, I wonder why Turkish? ^^

2 Likes

Hi! I’m Italian but I’m currently living in Finland, I speak Italian and English fluently, I’m learning German and Finnish at school and Korean and Chinese on my own :smile:

5 Likes

Suomi ftw :smiley:

2 Likes

How do you like Finland so far? :slight_smile:

1 Like

We might soon be able to create a Suomi club x)

2 Likes

The Turkish language has been my favorite since I was a child It would also be incredible to see new places ( •̀ ω •́ )✧

2 Likes

Fighting! If you want to write Turkish just write me a PN :smiley:

2 Likes

the truth, my mother made it, she is excellent for the kitchen!

I announced the French language elsewhere, I apologize

Yes, I look forward to it, it’s what I like the most

O(∩_∩)O

1 Like

Oh thank you very much, I would love to ( •̀ ω •́ )✧

I love it! It’s pretty warm this year tho, I’m kinda sad because I came here for an extremely cold weather^^

1 Like