What was the most effective way you learned another language?

A medical student @o@ such an Ace student hehe

2 Likes

Bahamas? Really? Wow! So exotic! I was there for an internship, in Nassau. But only a couple of months. Itā€™s an amazing country! Donā€™t worry! Europe and the rest of the world will wait for you to visit them! ^^

A medical student? So we have a really clever friend here! I think science is my Achillesā€™ heel. I couldnā€™t pass it without failing onceā€¦ or twice. What is your specialty?

Well, thank you. ^^ I have a degree in Culinary Arts (basically Iā€™m a Chef). I was in a cruiser for a year, but I learnt that itā€™s not my thing. When I was taking a break trying to figure out what will become of my life, one of my friends asked me to plan her wedding. Gawd! I felt in love with all that stuff, so I started my own company. This year will be the 2 aniversary, but the business is growing and now I have 2 others wedding planners under my wing. Iā€™m the only one who does international weddings among we three, but I think theyā€™ll be ready pretty soon.

I have no specialty yet. Thatā€™s what Iā€™ll be doing in residency.

1 Like

Oh. Ok, ok. I just donā€™t have any idea of how it works xD But what do you like? What would you like it to be your speciality? =) I think one of my cousins is studying to be a cardiologist.

My preference would be ophthalmology.

Language enthusiasts!! Please take my survey about learning language and culture on #Viki. http://tinyurl.com/k4plp5o

Users of Viki who watch Korean dramas or movies on the website are invited to respond to this anonymous online questionnaire. Remember, you are taking this survey because you watch Korean dramas and movies on Viki. Participation is entirely voluntary and anonymous. Kamsahamnida!Ā #ķ™”ģ“ķŒ…

My native language is Romanian, which is an Eastern Romance language. Iā€™m able to understand Italian and Spanish ( also Catalan) without studying it due to mutual intelligibility of the Romance languages. Also, I can understand 75% of written Portuguese and 40% of written French without learning. Italians can also understand a good part of written Romanian, without learning, but the spoken form is not so intelligible to them as is spoken Italian for us.

My first contact with Italian was through television. Italian TV channels were the first foreign channel broadcast in Romania after the fall of communism. (before '90 it was strictly forbidden to have any contact with the outside world) I was totally hooked on Italian teen programs (Non e la Rai, Generazione X, Amici) and Anime. I practically grow up on Japanese animation . Italian channels broadcast them almost every day and all were dubbed in Italian. Because of mutual intelligibility but also because I listened a lot of Italian Iā€™m able to have a basic conversation in Italian and and if I were to live in Italy Iā€™ll be fluent in a couple of months. Same for the Spanish language. Romanian tv channels aired so many TV-novelas after 1995 that Spanish sound very familiar to me.
Learning languages through movies, dramas, programs itā€™s fun, it doesnā€™t feel like work

In school Iā€™ve been studying French for 10 years (C2), ancient Greek and Latin in high school and during faculty I chose to study German, because German itā€™s the second most popular language in Europe, after English. I didnā€™t studied English in school (I followed French courses) but I can manage at conversational level. All our TV programms use subtitles not voice dubbing so I guess we are more expose to hear English and other languages and learn it than others from Southern and Eastern Europe (Italians, Hungarians, Bulgarians, Ukrainians, Russiansā€¦ they all dubb their movies). Also,95% of students learn English in school as their first foreign language (the second is German, French, Spanish, Italian ā€¦ it depends) I didnā€™t actually chose French as my first foreign language, it just happened, I had no choice. I must admit that nowadays Chinese and Japanese language begin to gain popularity many students want to learn it as their second foreign language. Oriental languages were not so popular before 2000.

If you want just to have a basic conversational level, you can study independently, but if you want language proficiency you need to learn it at school, with a good teacher.

I regret I didnā€™t studied English properly (I use more my intuition when writing) . Iā€™m into comfortable and relaxed rather than autodidact so better to learn a language in school not on my own. If I had a 2nd time, I definetely would choose to learn English in school rather than French. (I have no use of French)

Because I live in Romania (SE Europe), I think itā€™s important to know English- the ā€œuniversal languageā€, German- because Germany ranks first in terms of trade with my country and also is Europeā€™s leading country and it would not be bad to learn some Chinese, because with the further development of EU-China relations, Chinese would be the language of the future.

Wow! For not really studying English properly, you have it pretty well mastered. Iā€™m amazed! What do you do for a living?

Heyy (: I know 2 languages only, spanish and english, and since italian is so alike spanish i can understand it. The bet way to learn any language I think is to watching movies, listen to music with subtitles of your mother language and have real life conversations in the wanted language. It didnā€™t actually take me very long, but if I have to say a period of time Iā€™d say a year. The best of luck to you if you want to learn another language!!

I work in planning, Iā€™m an architect.

if we are on this topic, I would like to ask a European who knows Chinese: can you learn Chinese on your own? (Chinese is a tonal language. European languages are non-tonal.)

Ah. My sisterā€™s interested in studying architecture, but someone said that thereā€™s not much viability as a profession. Since thatā€™s your area of expertise, what do you say?

The only reason for your sister to study architecture is because she cannot think of anything else to do, she must be passionate about it, she must think ā€œI have always wanted to be an architectā€.Ā  If a person wants to be architect for money, fast cars, speed boats or because ā€œis cool to be an architectā€, he will not make it ,architecture is not for him.

If by ā€œviable career choiceā€ you understand great job security and good salaries than Information technology sector is an area of solid growth , not architecture, which is a slow Ā business and city
planning even slower. Architecture is a challenging career - which is part of what makes it rewarding and involves life long learning and is also a satisfying profession, because youā€™ll know the joy of creation. But ā€œchallengeā€ involves even failure. Architects depend on growth. People need new buildings when they outgrow their current needs. The economy will always be going up and down so you have to grow or lowerĀ  your expectations and Ā adapt to the ā€œnew normalā€, you need to find a balance and continue practicing architecture.

So, if she always wanted to study architecture than she should continue towards her goal. Architecture is such an amazing discipline to study,it encompasses everything around you, but is a long hard road andĀ  the life of an architecture student is not that easy. While the others from other faculties are having fun, enjoying college lifestyle and parties you work day and night to design the best project , but get through the late nights just because you love what you do and you are happy doing that.

After graduation,do not expect that you would be pursued by prestigious large firms looking for fresh talent seeing you as a master in redesigning the future. Architecture School is not offering you a viable or not viable career ,it offer you the confidence to explore creativity. Some will find jobs in large firms, others (the majority) in small firms, while others will not find a job as architect and they will have to chooseĀ  from the variety of jobs that architectural training equips them. Ā Even if at a small firm you will never work on large complex projects (airports, staudiums etc) , youā€™ll have opportunity and freedom that you wonā€™t in a larger environment and even if your projects will
be more domestic and a few commercial you get a tremendous delight every time your concept is transformed into real building.Once you do this youā€™re addicted. In a small firm youā€™ll probably work more on residential projects, but every house is different, is an unique refuge, an emotional piece of architecture not a cold piece of convenience

If you work for someone, youā€™ll be remunerated well enough to get by, but is lower than other professions.Salaries in the architectural industry are below the average. If you start your own firm the situation may look brighter, but is not easy: lot of responsibility and stress. After 6 years of school and 2 years of internship I started my own firm (2009). In the first two years it was difficult, because of the economic crisis that hit Europe but also because I was not known, had few contacts. If you are self employed, you will work when you have work and feel like you need to be working when you donā€™t have any . Even then, when was difficult, I never considered switching to something else, I was determined to get my way. Gradually, things have changed for the better and more people contact me on the basis of recommendations received from my former clients and ask me to design their residential or other stuff. If the client is contempt with your work he will certainly recommend you to others. Being an architect is an enjoyable profession for the most part. I would probably not be famous like Frank Ghery or Zaha Hadid, Iā€™m not a genius, but deep inside Iā€™m pleased with every building I make, cause it will speak for me long after Iā€™m gone, they are my legacy.

p.s I know there is a misconception that ā€œarchitects are richā€. Well, Iā€™m far from being wealthy I cannot afford to buy an airplane :smile: , but I do have a decent life.

1 Like

Has anyone here used Viki to learn a new language? If so, which language(s)? Can you please be specific about how watching dramas or movies on Viki has helped?

2 Likes

I use viki to study Korean. I look up words I donā€™t know all the time and it helps me. I subtitled many dramas. Currently Iā€™m on mental coach jegal.

3 Likes

Love Japanese and Korean